Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Kind of a Vent...Sorry
Live and Learn 02:04 PM 10-16-2010
Some of you might remember me talking about the toddler who came every day for five weeks and screamed almost all day long (except nap time thank goodness) for over five weeks....about three weeks ago after me training the child to soothe himself no more crying!!! All is good right?!....wrong .....the lil guy was out sick for most of a week and came back yesterday and the day before...and now he is back to his old tricks....screaming all day. Yesterday I told mom...I won't be able to tolerate another month of constant screaming...
I had this guy all of last year and he did fine but honestly...I don't think I can endure another month of the constant screaming...the mom looked at me like I had slapped her in the face.....I am just worn down by this lil fella....for my own sanity and the sanity of the other lil ones. This child is taking 75% of my time and 99.9% of my patience. Ugh, thanks for listening.
QualiTcare 02:24 PM 10-16-2010
get some ear plugs if you have to, but DO NOT give this kid any attention at nap time. don't even make eye contact with him - that's acknowledgement.

the more you ignore him, the harder and louder he'll scream - and he'll get really tired, really fast.

maybe you could start nap a little early until you get him back to his routine. that way the other kids who are being kept awake aren't actually losing any sleep time if he stops crying and they fall asleep by the time nap would normally start.
Live and Learn 02:31 PM 10-16-2010
He is perfect at naps...the problem time is every hour he is awake.after the first two weeks of parents saying...he is just teething.... I put him through baby boot camp.....every time he started to cry I would check to make sure he was ok and then said ...your are ok ....and I would turn my back to him. After three weeks of that he was fine....now we are back to square one. I know what to do I just don't know if I have it in me to go through it again with the same lil guy....!
SilverSabre25 02:38 PM 10-16-2010
Did he scream for five weeks when he first started coming to you and then was fine for a year, or was he fine for a long time and then started the screaming?

My other question is, what is it he is looking for when he's screaming? Is it attention or something else?
Live and Learn 03:07 PM 10-16-2010
He was fine all last year...I close for the summer. he came back in sept and parents said he is teething. For two weeks I tried all sorts of teething tricks...no improvement. Finally asked parents to give motrin before drop off for a couple of days to see if he really was in pain. No improvement. So I thought "ah ha". This isn't teething at all. Then we started baby boot camp. I told both parents that lil junior needed to learn to sooth himself instead of them running to him each time he made a little peep. They agreed. Slow but steady improvement over three weeks. Finally a whole day of no crying at all for any reason. This lasted two whole weeks. Now he has been out with a low grade fever runny nose for a week and comes back a total mess. I know that he is 100% healthy now but I feel like he has fallen back into his old screaming to get coddled routine.
SilverSabre25 04:37 PM 10-16-2010
ah, yeah, that sounds like a case of a child who rules the roost at home. Soryr you're dealing with this. Sounds like a nightmare...I thought I had it bad with one 15 month old who screeches like a pterodactyl if another child so much as looks at her!
Live and Learn 05:15 PM 10-16-2010
Pteradactyl that is funny!
he does rule the roost...thanks for the sympathy.
he is a good boy when he isn't screeching. I am just praying that it doesn't take weeks to get him back into shape.
My4SunshineGirlsNY 06:51 PM 10-16-2010
It's very hard listening to screaming/crying all day long...I have been through it a few times...It's hard on the other kids as well. Good luck, I hope he stops for you soon.
momofsix 03:36 PM 10-18-2010
If he was home with his parents and not feeling well, he probably got some extra attention (and rightly so being he was sick) and now that he's back to feeling better he still wants it! Completely normal in my experience-even with my own kids It should only take him a day or two to get the point that the extra "love" was only for when he's sick, and it's back to the same old routines again.
Live and Learn 03:40 PM 10-18-2010
Mom of six...I completely agree. That has been my experience too. I think I was venting out of fear...sadly he came today sick and I had to send him home early. I sure hope he feels better soon. poor little fella.
Francine 07:20 AM 10-19-2010
Originally Posted by Live and Learn:
Some of you might remember me talking about the toddler who came every day for five weeks and screamed almost all day long (except nap time thank goodness) for over five weeks....about three weeks ago after me training the child to soothe himself no more crying!!! All is good right?!....wrong .....the lil guy was out sick for most of a week and came back yesterday and the day before...and now he is back to his old tricks....screaming all day. Yesterday I told mom...I won't be able to tolerate another month of constant screaming...
I had this guy all of last year and he did fine but honestly...I don't think I can endure another month of the constant screaming...the mom looked at me like I had slapped her in the face.....I am just worn down by this lil fella....for my own sanity and the sanity of the other lil ones. This child is taking 75% of my time and 99.9% of my patience. Ugh, thanks for listening.
I don't have any advice but I want to tell you that I must have the twin of your little guy. Baby bootcamp???? Tell me more my little guy will be here tomorrow through Friday and I would love to have some new stuff to try on him because so far nothing that I have tried has helped.
Tags:screaming, vent
Reply Up