Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Making Your Own Cot Sheets
Josiegirl 02:29 AM 04-25-2017
Has anyone tried to make their own cot sheets? I'm not much of a seamstress but how hard can it be, besides measuring and sewing a straight line?
I hesitate to spend such big money on cot sheets when I'm thinking I could make my own from old sheets I already have laying around the house. Any suggestions or ideas with that?
Thanks so much!!
bklsmum 03:10 AM 04-25-2017
I can't sew to save my life so I just bought used crib sheets cheap and washed them.
Blackcat31 05:33 AM 04-25-2017
I have wood mini-cribs and it's super hard to find a sheet that fits properly. Sheets are one thing that are checked really really well here. If you can pinch and raise the sheet 1" or more in the center, it's improperly fitted and is not acceptable.

I buy my sheets from a gal in a provider group on-line. She will custom make any size and does a fantastic job. Pretty affordable too!
Mike 05:49 AM 04-25-2017
If you have the material, and know how to use a sewing machine, go for it. I do my own sewing, and if a guy can do it, I'm sure any gal who wants to can.
MyAngels 07:06 AM 04-25-2017
I just made some new ones for my cots. It's simple. I made the kind that have elastic loops that go around the legs to hold the sheets on like these: https://www.amazon.com/Rest-Time-Cot.../dp/B0035Y404U
Josiegirl 02:40 AM 04-26-2017
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
I just made some new ones for my cots. It's simple. I made the kind that have elastic loops that go around the legs to hold the sheets on like these: https://www.amazon.com/Rest-Time-Cot.../dp/B0035Y404U
That's what I was hoping to do, just like that! I've got so many sheets hanging around here, wouldn't hurt to give it a try, right?
BC, I have the same mini-crib(I remember you recommended it when I asked in another post awhile back), which I love by the way! And yeh, I wouldn't dare try to make a fitted sheet for that but something for a cot, with elastic corners...that might be more my expertise.

Geez Mike, you sew too?? Wish I had all those talents.

Thanks all!
ColorfulSunburst 04:46 AM 04-26-2017
Instead of a coat sheets I use heavy big beach towels from Costco.
hwichlaz 07:11 AM 04-26-2017
Crib sheets are usually cheaper than making my own, unless I have a big ole flat sheet hanging around that I'm not using. And they fit my cots perfectly.

For my mini-cribs I just make them like a snug pillow case to slip over the whole matress and close with velcro at one end.
MyAngels 08:32 AM 04-26-2017
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
That's what I was hoping to do, just like that! I've got so many sheets hanging around here, wouldn't hurt to give it a try, right?
BC, I have the same mini-crib(I remember you recommended it when I asked in another post awhile back), which I love by the way! And yeh, I wouldn't dare try to make a fitted sheet for that but something for a cot, with elastic corners...that might be more my expertise.

Geez Mike, you sew too?? Wish I had all those talents.

Thanks all!
I've made fitted sheets that are actually better than the store bought ones. All you have to do is sew a casing around the entire perimeter of the fabric and thread elastic through to fit. I made mine to go about 2 inches under the edges of my playpens and made the elastic taut enough to make it snug. My licensor complimented me on them because they fit perfectly and are not easy for the older little ones to pull off.
childcaremom 08:33 AM 04-26-2017
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
I've made fitted sheets that are actually better than the store bought ones. All you have to do is sew a casing around the entire perimeter of the fabric and thread elastic through to fit. I made mine to go about 2 inches under the edges of my playpens and made the elastic taut enough to make it snug. My licensor complimented me on them because they fit perfectly and are not easy for the older little ones to pull off.
I made my own, too. I used foe (fold over elastic), which was even easier. Took me about 15 mins to do the entire thing.
Mom2Five+ 04:57 PM 04-30-2017
If you have thrift stores near you try there. I get them for .50 to $1.00. I really clean up when they have 30% off sales. That way if they get messed up its no big deal.
Reply Up