Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Deductions Question
Anna104 04:10 PM 01-04-2011
I have been reading these threds and trying to learn how things are done. Here's my question: If everything is in my husband's name only (mortgage, utility bill, phone, etc.) and we file separately (I would rather it be this way), can I use any of those things for deductions?
TomCopeland 06:26 PM 01-04-2011
You can still claim all house deductions on your business tax return (filing separately) because you are married. Once you are married you get to deduct expenses even though they might be paid by your husband and even though your name is not on the bill.

If a provider is not married and lives with a boyfriend (or girlfriend) then the provider cannot claim house expenses unless her name is on the bill. The provider could claim expenses that she can prove that she paid out of her own pocket.

Therefore, if you are not married - get married! https://www.daycare.com/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif
Abigail 08:05 PM 01-04-2011
Originally Posted by TomCopeland:
You can still claim all house deductions on your business tax return (filing separately) because you are married. Once you are married you get to deduct expenses even though they might be paid by your husband and even though your name is not on the bill.

If a provider is not married and lives with a boyfriend (or girlfriend) then the provider cannot claim house expenses unless her name is on the bill. The provider could claim expenses that she can prove that she paid out of her own pocket.

Therefore, if you are not married - get married! https://www.daycare.com/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif
Would have never thought a guy would ever say it!
JeepGirl6 10:26 AM 01-05-2011
Originally Posted by TomCopeland:

My fiance and I have been together for 8 years, we have owned a home for almost 4 of those years. When we bought the house together, he is on the loan as the Primary and I am Secondary..but the Bill does come in his name, not mine...same with all of the utilities, we have them all in his name...does this mean I can not claim any of these deductions even though we bought the house together? We split all of our bills right down the middle, but when I pay the bills online ( house loan, cable, gas and electric), all of the payments come out of my checking account so I have proof that all of the payments are coming out of my account...So will this substitute for the bills not being in my name but showing they are coming out of my checking account?
TomCopeland 01:14 PM 01-05-2011
Originally Posted by Abigail:
Would have never thought a guy would ever say it!
Hey - I've been happily married for 26 years. Now if you had met me in the 1960s my views on marriage were different....
TomCopeland 01:17 PM 01-05-2011
Originally Posted by JeepGirl6:
My fiance and I have been together for 8 years, we have owned a home for almost 4 of those years. When we bought the house together, he is on the loan as the Primary and I am Secondary..but the Bill does come in his name, not mine...same with all of the utilities, we have them all in his name...does this mean I can not claim any of these deductions even though we bought the house together? We split all of our bills right down the middle, but when I pay the bills online ( house loan, cable, gas and electric), all of the payments come out of my checking account so I have proof that all of the payments are coming out of my account...So will this substitute for the bills not being in my name but showing they are coming out of my checking account?
Since you are listed as a secondary payor on the loan you can deduct the business portion as a deduction! This is because you are legally obligated to pay off this debt. It doesn't matter that the bill comes in his name. You are okay claiming business deductions for utilities because you can show that you paid them. Expenses for the house (mortgage, property tax) can be deducted only if you are legally obligated to pay the bill.
Tags:deductions
Reply Up