Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>W-10
kayla 02:37 PM 12-12-2011
what is this??? do i need these for my parents?? and why have i not heard of them before??? I dont want to be auditted, help!!!
MommieNana4 04:22 PM 12-12-2011
This is the little bit that I know. More info at www.irs.gov

The W-10 is the Dependent Care Provider's Identification and Certification.
I is given to the parent at end of year along with a statement of how much they paid (for the year). It is used for tax filing purposes (as child care cost can be claimed).

You have to include your SSN or EIN on the W-10 that you give to the parent.
Michael 06:04 PM 12-12-2011
More info on W-10 https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.php?tag=w-10
lilcupcakes09 10:21 AM 12-13-2011
It is the official IRS form to give your parents the info needed to claim child care expenses on their taxes. It gives your name, address, tax id or SSN# which they need to file. I give my parents this form, all of their receipts for the year, and just write the total amount paid that year on the top of the W-10 and put in an envelope for them.
KEG123 11:54 AM 12-13-2011
Do youneed to give one to state paid families? Put only their total co-pay amount?
Blackcat31 12:05 PM 12-13-2011
Originally Posted by KEG123:
Do youneed to give one to state paid families? Put only their total co-pay amount?
The form is intended for you to fill in your tax ID # and name/address but there is no space for the amount paid since it is the families resposibility to keep track of that amount.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw10.pdf

If you claim a deduction on gas/mileage, you keep track f the total...the gas station doesn't do it for you...kwim?

Here is an excellent info piece Tom Copeland wrote about this subject
http://www.tomcopelandblog.com/2011/...-receipts.html
KEG123 12:07 PM 12-13-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
The form is intended for you to fill in your tax ID # and name/address but there is no space for the amount paid since it is the families resposibility to keep track of that amount.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw10.pdf

If you claim a deduction on gas/mileage, you keep track f the total...the gas station doesn't do it for you...kwim?

Here is an excellent info peice Tom Copeland wrote about this subject
http://www.tomcopelandblog.com/2011/...-receipts.html
GREAT! Thanks for posting Blackcat!
Unregistered 07:40 AM 12-19-2011
Does anyone know the "rules" in regards to these w-10's? We do not have to give them to parents (ie track down past clients) They are suppsed to request them from us. So how long do you have to provide a past client with one if they do call and ask for one?
kayla 08:52 AM 01-06-2012
Thanks so much!! very helpful info.. thanks kayla
Cat Herder 09:05 AM 01-06-2012
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Does anyone know the "rules" in regards to these w-10's? We do not have to give them to parents (ie track down past clients) They are supposed to request them from us. So how long do you have to provide a past client with one if they do call and ask for one?
My understanding is that THEY are technically supposed to bring you one, themselves (they are at the post office, here, for free). Most everyone just gives them out in January to keep from having to think about it again for 12 months.

I also believe there is no time limit....if they bring you one for any year the child was in attendance, you have to fill it out. It would not matter since you would have already claimed that income whether or not they filed theirs.
awestbrook713 09:37 AM 01-06-2012
If you have MMK you can print out a filled out one for each family with the total amount paid at the top of the form, your name, address, and tax ID#. Thats what I did hope this helps.
DCMom 12:04 PM 01-06-2012
Originally Posted by awestbrook713:
If you have MMK you can print out a filled out one for each family with the total amount paid at the top of the form, your name, address, and tax ID#. Thats what I did hope this helps.
This is what I do; I have them sign one copy for my records and I give them one copy.

I know that technically it is the parents responsibility, but if I am the one who is audited, then it's me that has the burden of proof. Not them.
estrella 04:52 AM 01-19-2012
so unless they hand this form in person, you don't need to do one? or if they request on tele-communication, do I need to go print one to give her? my understanding is that they have to hand the form to me, I don't have an easy access to the printer, not to mention it was inconsiderate getting woken up by this in the early morning at the hospital the morning after giving birth to my baby. When I provided all the info, I wrote please contact back in 10 days, not 3 weeks! (I did them early on purpose since I was expecting a baby and they knew I went to hospital, too! and I certified mail, so I know my statements were received well-before today.)

one of the parents asked if I'm doing worksheet for tax even if I already provided her with my tax id, amount, physical address at the end of the year. She already has my name, mailing address, my phone number, too. anything else I have to provide?? I'm confused as to what worksheet for tax shes talking about, my tax is none of her business. only other thing is this but I already provided all the info!
TomCopeland 07:54 AM 01-19-2012
There is no requirement you give the parent any information (unless they mail or hand you Form W-10).

There is no tax worksheet to give to the parent. Normally, providers give their tax id# and the amount the parent paid for the year. That's it.

Join me on February 9th at 8:30PM Eastern Time, for my webinar "2011 Family Child Care Tax Update: How to Reduce Your Taxes." Cost is $25 (tax deductible!). http://events.r20.constantcontact.co...&llr=yatrx4cab
Daycaremomof2 11:03 AM 01-19-2012
Can I deduct expenses (ie: food, gas, part of my mortgage and bills, etc) if I use my social security number when filing my income?

i have a EIN, but I just opened up last year and I dont want to file for myself and the business- I didnt make that much and dont want to pay an accountant to do 2 sets of taxes.
TomCopeland 02:40 PM 01-19-2012
You can claim your business expenses, regardless of whether you use your social security number or an EIN.

You only enter your EIN on Schedule C and Schedule SE. On all other forms, enter your social security number. You aren't doing two sets of taxes.
MN Day Mom 08:07 AM 01-21-2012
After getting an EIN do you "have" to use it? I tried getting one the other day but the site was having technical difficulties and now if I do it the number won't be in their system for 10 days. I'm worried if I give my new number to families next week and they do their taxes right away that my EIN won't match up with my taxes. Can I give my SS# out and my EIN or is it one or the other?

Originally Posted by TomCopeland:
You can claim your business expenses, regardless of whether you use your social security number or an EIN.

You only enter your EIN on Schedule C and Schedule SE. On all other forms, enter your social security number. You aren't doing two sets of taxes.

TomCopeland 06:07 PM 01-21-2012
Originally Posted by MN Day Mom:
After getting an EIN do you "have" to use it? I tried getting one the other day but the site was having technical difficulties and now if I do it the number won't be in their system for 10 days. I'm worried if I give my new number to families next week and they do their taxes right away that my EIN won't match up with my taxes. Can I give my SS# out and my EIN or is it one or the other?
Once you have an EIN number, start using it with parents. You are not required to use your EIN, but I think it's a good idea to do so. It doesn't matter that your EIN is not in the IRS system, by the time the parent's file their tax return.
Tags:w-10
Reply Up