Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Do I Tell This Family?
Unregistered 03:47 PM 06-13-2017
How do i tell this family they either need to go full time or they will be replaced? Originally i wanted to only accept full time families. But when first starting out i was willing to take any family just to get business going. I made a deal with a family that only for the summer (i opened june 1st of last year) they would be 4 full days and they would pay a certain amount and if she came 5 days she would pay full amount. This was only to be for the summer, so i agreed. Sept came and she decided she liked having some fridays with her daughter so if she could just keep it that way for a little while longer til october ..then october became til the end of the year...i reluctantly agreed thinking eventually she would be full time, and she said she would be coming most fridays anyway. Well ever since january she hasnt come one friday! I really would like to replace her with a full time child. Im bad with words...i feel bad for changing my mind but she put me in the same situation when she changed her mind. I also dont like that she switches days when theres a holiday so she doesnt pay holidays and also when shes sick she makes it up on friday. I should have spoken up the first time but I didnt even have a policy on this because i wasnt going to take part time kids!
How would you approach this parent?
Josiegirl 03:55 PM 06-13-2017
Do you have FT dcfs interested in a placement? I would tell her you are changing your policies and are looking for FT dcfs. If she would like to keep her place, she needs to pay for FT rates(essentially she's using a FT slot if she's switching her days)or you will need to replace her with a FT dcf.

Right now I charge by the day but I've got all FT families. However, I'm thinking of changing my policies going forward into another changeover of kiddos. I feel 4 days a week is FT anyways, because usually it's over 35 hours or so.
Ariana 04:23 PM 06-13-2017
Maybe send her an email letting her know that you are no longer willing to give her a part time spot. Let her know that this is her two week notice for the spot and she either starts to pay full time or she can look for care elsewhere.

"Hello DCM,
After careful consideration I have decided that I am no longer willing to accommodate our part time arrangement. Effective X date your spot will be commuted to full time with the rate of $X per week. I will understand if this does not work for you and you need to find alternate care arrangements. Just let me know if you plan to do that as I require a two weeks notice as per my contract.
Thanks,
Daycare lady who is fed up with your BS "
trix23 06:15 PM 06-13-2017
You def let it go on longer than you should've, but you can still reel it in. Type up a document that states that:

1) if she's part time, she needs to pick 2-3 specific days and that if she wants to add a day that it's X dollars per day (ex $43) if there is availability
2) that you're looking to find FT families tell her that if she would like to stay, she will have to pay the full time rate ($x) even if her child only comes part time.
Unregistered 07:11 AM 06-14-2017
I put out an ad and will see if i get anyone interested in the spot. If I do Ill talk to the family and let them decide if they want to pay for full time or end the contract. I was also thinking of just telling them Im looking for someone to fill fridays and if they still want that spot available to them, they will have to pay for it. I wont be so stressed for income after august so i was thinking of doing it then.
daycarediva 07:20 AM 06-14-2017
Here's what I would do-

Update your policies. Dcm is paying for four days but has the flexibility of 5. Part time is SET DAYS, cannot be switched or made up for.

Part time rates are a higher daily rate. E.g. My ft rate is 200/week my 4 day rate is 180.

I included in my contract that ft takes precedent over pt, so if 2 pt kids no longer have schedules that mesh, I give families the option of going FT or withdrawing from my program.
daycare 07:21 AM 06-14-2017
I would just state for financial reasons you are changing policy.
i consider anything 4 or more days full time. You and I both know you will never fill that one open day and even if you could, it would not be a fun day.

I would tell dcm effective july 1 you will be charging for the full time spot. IF she leaves, well then you don't need to ask her to leave.

Also no credits or make up days. If you miss Tuesday, you don't get to come Friday and absolutely no switching Holidays.
Sounds like this woman doesn't have alot of respect for your program....
Unregistered 09:41 AM 06-14-2017
Originally Posted by Ariana:
Maybe send her an email letting her know that you are no longer willing to give her a part time spot. Let her know that this is her two week notice for the spot and she either starts to pay full time or she can look for care elsewhere.

"Hello DCM,
After careful consideration I have decided that I am no longer willing to accommodate our part time arrangement. Effective X date your spot will be commuted to full time with the rate of $X per week. I will understand if this does not work for you and you need to find alternate care arrangements. Just let me know if you plan to do that as I require a two weeks notice as per my contract.
Thanks,
Daycare lady who is fed up with your BS "
Yes Im so fed up with the BS lol. I hate that she tells me when her child is coming insted of asking me. Just this morning she said DCG will be coming wed -fri next week since they will be out of town mon and tue....how about you ask to make sure i have space? Sometimes i watch my nephew on fridays so there would be no room. Sheesh rude.
daycare 10:16 AM 06-14-2017
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Yes Im so fed up with the BS lol. I hate that she tells me when her child is coming insted of asking me. Just this morning she said DCG will be coming wed -fri next week since they will be out of town mon and tue....how about you ask to make sure i have space? Sometimes i watch my nephew on fridays so there would be no room. Sheesh rude.
I would tell her since that is not a normally contracted day that she can't attend on Friday. If she asks why tell her exactly that again. Tell her since she doesn't pay for it, it's open for others to use and you filled the spot for that day.
trix23 10:49 AM 06-14-2017
Update polices to have flex schedule clients need to give notice by Thursday or Friday night by 6pm of their requested days for the following week. Tell her that if she needs different days and she knows ahead of time that to secure that day, she needs to pay for the upcoming week by Friday (should have clients pre-paying anyway).
Reply Up