Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Free Or Cheap Online Homeschooling Program For K/1st
SunflowerMama 07:04 AM 06-06-2017
Hey there! I have a little girl turning 5 in October that misses the kinder cut off but is more than ready academically and socially. To keep her from getting bored this year I was thinking about finding an online homeschooling program or similar for her to work through. She's pretty bored with ABC Mouse so trying to find something a bit more challenging and engaging. TIA!
daycarediva 07:29 AM 06-06-2017
We have been using time4learning. It's pretty user friendly, BUT it's like $20/month.
Pestle 08:51 AM 06-06-2017
I'm working to keep my nearly-5 off the computer as much as possible--while it's a tempting way to juggle homeschooling and day care, I'm concerned that I'd only be shooting both of us in the foot by planting her in front of a screen for several hours a day.

My spouse is a PC gaming addict and that's the #1 source of stress in my life.
daycarediva 04:36 AM 06-07-2017
Originally Posted by Pestle:
I'm working to keep my nearly-5 off the computer as much as possible--while it's a tempting way to juggle homeschooling and day care, I'm concerned that I'd only be shooting both of us in the foot by planting her in front of a screen for several hours a day.

My spouse is a PC gaming addict and that's the #1 source of stress in my life.
It's not hours- our homeschooled 3rd grader spends maybe an hour a day on that- then it's paper work, independent course study, and project based learning. Right now he's really into japanese culture. He's making his own japanese food, eating with chop sticks and doing SO MUCH reading about Japan.

Unfortunately, the school district uses iready, and their entire DAY is on computers. They even have ipads on the desks.
Pestle 04:41 AM 06-07-2017
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
Unfortunately, the school district uses iready, and their entire DAY is on computers. They even have ipads on the desks.
Yucko!
Annalee 04:41 AM 06-07-2017
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
It's not hours- our homeschooled 3rd grader spends maybe an hour a day on that- then it's paper work, independent course study, and project based learning. Right now he's really into japanese culture. He's making his own japanese food, eating with chop sticks and doing SO MUCH reading about Japan.

Students here have all their work on chrome books. No textbooks at all! I DO NOT like it but my sons love it! I guess it does cut out the paper since assignments are submitted online but ???
284878 06:01 AM 06-07-2017
There is one called abcjesuslovesme.com that is free for your own child and print it all yourself, or you can order the book for a low cost.
Or check out preschool mom or kindergarten mom .com (or search homeschool giveaway .com) they have free printables that you can do with her to do.

Also...
Our school has a waiver form to get almost 5-year-olds into school. I had a DCK that had an October bday and start school at 4. Does your school system possible have a waiver form?
hwichlaz 04:45 PM 06-07-2017
Totally free. Used it with my own kids. <3
https://allinonehomeschool.com/
284878 08:54 PM 06-10-2017
I just got an email for a program called reading eggs. It is free for 6 weeks if you sign up by July 8th.

http://readingeggs.com/homesch/
curiouskids 07:15 AM 06-15-2017
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
Totally free. Used it with my own kids. <3
https://allinonehomeschool.com/
We use this too! My kiddos are 4 and 6 and have really enjoyed it. It is computer based but also has some offline options. The layout is a bit confusing at first but after looking at it and using it is is pretty simple. The offline workbooks are reasonably priced.
Tags:homeschool curriculum, homeschool online, homeschooling, online courses
Reply Up