Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Tax Information To Parents For 2014 Taxes?
mountainside13 08:32 AM 02-03-2014
I gave 2 weeks notice to a family and the last day of care is this Friday. Mom informed me she won't be here the full week. I am getting her tax information together so I can give it to her at pick up today. Since the 2014 tax season is a year away, I'm thinking I might have to resend her all this information in January 2015. If I end up having to give her all the information again can I charge her a fee to do so? Or is that illegal? Should I have her sign something now that there would be a fee?

I usually wait to send this information out but I want to cover myself so they can't try to claim they paid me more.
Blackcat31 09:47 AM 02-03-2014
Originally Posted by mountainside13:
I gave 2 weeks notice to a family and the last day of care is this Friday. Mom informed me she won't be here the full week. I am getting her tax information together so I can give it to her at pick up today. Since the 2014 tax season is a year away, I'm thinking I might have to resend her all this information in January 2015. If I end up having to give her all the information again can I charge her a fee to do so? Or is that illegal? Should I have her sign something now that there would be a fee?

I usually wait to send this information out but I want to cover myself so they can't try to claim they paid me more.
Why will you have to give her the info again?

I'd give her the info on Friday. Have her sign and date it and that's that.

If she loses it, that is on her.

I most certainly wouldn't be willing to provide it again for free.
TomCopeland 12:01 PM 02-03-2014

I would give her this tax information now. (Maybe the parent moves and you don't have her new address. Maybe you die before then. Maybe you lose your records by then, etc.) If the parent asks for it again next year, yes you could charge her a reasonable fee to give it to her again ($15?).

Don’t miss my February 4th webinar “Tax Changes for 2013: How to Avoid Mistakes When Filling Out Your 2013 Tax Forms.” It starts at 9pm Eastern Time and is sponsored by Daycare.com. Register here:http://events.r20.constantcontact.co...&llr=yatrx4cab
mountainside13 12:11 PM 02-03-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Why will you have to give her the info again?

I'd give her the info on Friday. Have her sign and date it and that's that.

If she loses it, that is on her.

I most certainly wouldn't be willing to provide it again for free.
I have everything ready to go for her to sign. I just wondered if she does contact me again because she looses the information, I wasn't sure if it was ok to charge her a fee if she needs it again. Like get me for witholding tax information or something.

Originally Posted by TomCopeland:
I would give her this tax information now. (Maybe the parent moves and you don't have her new address. Maybe you die before then. Maybe you lose your records by then, etc.) If the parent asks for it again next year, yes you could charge her a reasonable fee to give it to her again ($15?).
Thank you !!

Don’t miss my February 4th webinar “Tax Changes for 2013: How to Avoid Mistakes When Filling Out Your 2013 Tax Forms.” It starts at 9pm Eastern Time and is sponsored by Daycare.com. Register here:http://events.r20.constantcontact.co...&llr=yatrx4cab

TwinKristi 12:15 PM 02-03-2014
I did this with a family who left in Sept. I knew they wouldn't be coming back for drop in care or anything so I had it in his bag the last day and never heard from them again! Everyone else: I sent their's out in Jan, even families that left in Oct-Dec. I just knew this one family was one I wanted to wash my hands of.

And I don't think there's anything illegal about charging parents for copies of forms they LOST!
mountainside13 01:30 PM 02-03-2014
Originally Posted by TwinKristi:
I did this with a family who left in Sept. I knew they wouldn't be coming back for drop in care or anything so I had it in his bag the last day and never heard from them again! Everyone else: I sent their's out in Jan, even families that left in Oct-Dec. I just knew this one family was one I wanted to wash my hands of.

And I don't think there's anything illegal about charging parents for copies of forms they LOST!
Thank you!! I want to do everything by the book with them. Not only to just be done but they are upset and don't want to do something wrong.
Unregistered 01:54 PM 02-03-2014

this is what I do, if they loose the info is a $20.00 for another w10 copy, INCONVENIENCE FEE
Abigail 10:20 PM 02-07-2014
I give one to every parent but I guess those who left I'm not going to worry about W-10 until January no matter when they leave during the year because I'm beyond busy with our typical paperwork. BEFORE I give the parent their copy I scan it to my computer and save it so then I only have a copy on my computer but honestly a W-10 is not really that important, IMO. A contract is much more important.
Tags:fees, fees - inconvenience, former client, lost paperwork fee
Reply Up