Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>New DCBaby Still Asleep After 2.5hrs
trix23 10:23 AM 06-16-2017
For babies in your care, do you let them sleep as long as they need or wake them after some certain amount of time? I put DCG down at 10:30 and she's still sleeping at 1pm. I've checked on her every 30 minutes since 12pm/noon to be sure all is well. She's 7 months and learning to crawl and has had a lot of teething, drooling, and clear snot kinda stuff today. So I'm thinking that's why she's tired.

My first baby in care (aside from my own) and not sure if I should wake her or let her sleep!
Leigh 11:11 AM 06-16-2017
I never wake a sleeping baby. My own son would often take 5 hour afternoon naps (even at age 3)! I figure that if they didn't need the rest, they would wake.
trix23 12:03 PM 06-16-2017
Thanks for your input. I'm curious what other providers do too!
Blackcat31 12:36 PM 06-16-2017
I don't or won't wake anyone either unless their parent is here for pick up or it's closing time.

Hunger, exercise and sleep are necessary and things I try not to mess with if possible.
Ariana 01:03 PM 06-16-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I don't or won't wake anyone either unless their parent is here for pick up or it's closing time.

Hunger, exercise and sleep are necessary and things I try not to mess with if possible.
Agreed. I will only wake 30 minutes prior to pickup so they can eat and I can change their diaper.
LysesKids 01:50 PM 06-16-2017
Originally Posted by trix23:
For babies in your care, do you let them sleep as long as they need or wake them after some certain amount of time? I put DCG down at 10:30 and she's still sleeping at 1pm. I've checked on her every 30 minutes since 12pm/noon to be sure all is well. She's 7 months and learning to crawl and has had a lot of teething, drooling, and clear snot kinda stuff today. So I'm thinking that's why she's tired.

My first baby in care (aside from my own) and not sure if I should wake her or let her sleep!
I do nothing but babes up to 18 months, so I let them sleep. I have a 16 month old in care that can sleep 2 hrs in the morning & another 2 in the afternoon... yesterday he slept 3 straight hrs; He's been having a few bad nights & I get told first thing @ drop off (they are moving & trying to renovate the new house before July 1st so his older siblings are off kilter too, but they aren't in care here). Little man knows it's ok to just lay down on his mat whenever
mommyneedsadayoff 02:13 PM 06-16-2017
I do wake them up. I would probably be putting them down for their morning nap around 9/9:30 and waking around 11/11:30 for a bottle and lunch (if they are eating solids). I like to the routine of a 3-4 hour schedule and I feel it helps separate their day from nights. I also find that it helps them transition into the daily routine the rest of the kids follow, so when they eventually drop that morning nap, they are used to going down for the afternoon nap with everyone else.
Jupadia 02:29 PM 06-16-2017
The only time I wake a sleeping baby is when they are going from 2 to 1 nap and need only a short am nap. This way they still go to sleep for seconed nap when the other kids do. But that's somewhere between 12 to 18 months depending on the child.

My eldest slept 4 hours at a time from day 1. The nurses kept trying to get me to wake him and I always refused.
CityGarden 02:35 PM 06-16-2017
I do not wake children unless their parent is here for pick up. I will open the curtains and allow the other children to get up and play at normal voice levels after 2 hours.
Sunchimes 06:52 PM 06-16-2017
Where do you find these sleeping babies? My last 2 babies are non sleepers. My current one is 7 months old. On a really good day, he might sleep 20 minutes. He is so tired by the big kid's nap time that he turns into a screaming bear. He will sleep on a blanket outside, propped in the corner of the couch, in his swing (before he outgrew it), and in my arms. I can't do any of those of course. Mom and Dad are upset because they only see him awake on weekends. He is asleep before they get home and sleeps all night. We have tried everything we can think of, along with pouring through the forum.
trix23 08:45 PM 06-16-2017
I Would do some gentle sleep training as a combined effort at home and at daycare. Make sure baby has a full tummy (baby food, bottle, and some solids like Puffs) and then put to bed in a darkened room with some music playing and hold him while rocking slowly back n forth for a few minutes and tell him softly, "it's time to go nigh night. Yeahhhhhh, we go nigh night. Go nigh night down there." Then put them down while still awake and say "night night!"
jenboo 08:14 PM 06-18-2017
I only wake up from morning nap.
bklsmum 08:27 PM 06-18-2017
I never wake a child under a year old unless they are getting picked up or I smell a poopy diaper on them. If they are asleep, they need it IMO.
renodeb 09:40 PM 06-18-2017
At 7 months I would not wake the baby. I try not to mess with there sleep unless they are an older kid, or a child going from two naps to one. Kids are more tired in child care so they may sleep more.
flying_babyb 07:38 PM 06-19-2017
I never wake them unless they poo, are on a strict eating scheduled, or moms here( we try to keep parents out of the bedtime room for the sake of the other sleepers)
lovemydaycare0912 09:45 AM 06-21-2017
I don't wake the babies except I did one. I have 3 infants now 5,6,and7 months old. 6 month old would get here at 730 and fall back to sleep until 1130/12ish. His morning naps are shortening now helping me get him in some routine but I let them sleep when they want now and how long they want.
lovemydaycare0912 11:22 AM 06-21-2017
I don't wake the babies except I did one. I have 3 infants now 5,6,and7 months old. 6 month old would get here at 730 and fall back to sleep until 1130/12ish. His morning naps are shortening now helping me get him in some routine but I let them sleep when they want now and how long they want.
BrynleeJean 01:50 PM 06-21-2017
One of the things I think Id like as a parent and that parents like about home child care We can let them have a more (thinking for the word..) organic day. Growing is tough work, some days they won't sleep and won't eat and the next they sleep all day for days and eat you out of house and home. At least for me i know that the short amount of time that i had my son in a center (though it was the center i was working at) I knew he wasn't getting that personalized care. I love that we can give children that. More hugs if they need it. More sleep if they need it. More food if they need it. All of which is limited to fit the needs of the schedule at a center.

But in short Id say yes let the child sleep, unless their parent has a schedule they want you to stick to strictly, OR if it really becomes a big issue with your group (affecting you not being about to get outside at all in the afternoon or something like that)
Tags:sleeps too much
Reply Up