Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Got a call for an interview
Thriftylady 01:50 PM 11-04-2015
Another nurse on 12 hour days. She is going to come interview next week. Three kiddos, two school age and one pre schooler. Only two days a week. But the catch is I have to pick the 3 yr old up from Pre K each day. I am assuming there is some issue with this kiddo, due to being in pre K at that age. The main issue is the school agers and homework. It will be more kiddos here until 8 PM so they need to do schoolwork here. Homework is already a fight with the two I have. I can't afford to turn away paying clients right now if I think they will work out at all. So I need to figure out a way to keep my peace during homework if I take this family on. Any ideas?
MarinaVanessa 02:54 PM 11-04-2015
I would have that talk with mom during the interview and literally be honest.

"I already have X number of school age kids that need to do homework and like with all school-agers it's sometimes difficult to keep them focused and on task. What do you do at home for your kids to make sure that they complete their work?"

Get her input and run through your own ideas with her. Things that work for me with my own DD during homework time is
- having little distractions (TV off, other kids doing quiet activities etc)
- separating her from the others (she works at the dining table by herself while the others play in the living room)
- blocking out noise (either the kids keep quiet or Ilet my DD listen to music with headphones on while she does her homework. Oddly enough it makes it easier and keeps her focused
- rewarding her with a snack (we decide on a semi short goal for her to complete ... like half a page of math ... and then she gets a snack, she finishes the other half and she gets a drink etc.

Also you'll want to make sure to tell mom that you can't sit with them and do their homework for them, you will supervise, answer questions when they need help, remind them to stay focused and check their work to make sure is correct and that they've completed their assignments but they are responsible for doing the work itself.

For math homework I found that phone apps like photo math are time savers when checking answers. Just take a pic of the problem and it gives you the answer ... then you can just let them know if it's right or if they need to go back and try again.
Thriftylady 03:46 PM 11-04-2015
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
I would have that talk with mom during the interview and literally be honest.

"I already have X number of school age kids that need to do homework and like with all school-agers it's sometimes difficult to keep them focused and on task. What do you do at home for your kids to make sure that they complete their work?"

Get her input and run through your own ideas with her. Things that work for me with my own DD during homework time is
- having little distractions (TV off, other kids doing quiet activities etc)
- separating her from the others (she works at the dining table by herself while the others play in the living room)
- blocking out noise (either the kids keep quiet or Ilet my DD listen to music with headphones on while she does her homework. Oddly enough it makes it easier and keeps her focused
- rewarding her with a snack (we decide on a semi short goal for her to complete ... like half a page of math ... and then she gets a snack, she finishes the other half and she gets a drink etc.

Also you'll want to make sure to tell mom that you can't sit with them and do their homework for them, you will supervise, answer questions when they need help, remind them to stay focused and check their work to make sure is correct and that they've completed their assignments but they are responsible for doing the work itself.

For math homework I found that phone apps like photo math are time savers when checking answers. Just take a pic of the problem and it gives you the answer ... then you can just let them know if it's right or if they need to go back and try again.
I for sure won't do homework for them, but honestly it would be easier for me sometimes! But the kiddos don't learn what they need to if you do that.
Reply Up