Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
New Members - Welcome to the Daycare.com Forum!>Opening A Daycare (Timing)
KansasWinds 12:08 PM 02-21-2016
*Long post, seeking opinions*
So. Background info.

We are moving in the next couple weeks to a house where I can open a daycare. I am currently working as a substitute teacher for the local elementary schools. I am having a baby in August and do not plan on returning to work outside the home. I plan to sub the remainder of the school year an start slowly working on the licensure process.

I dont necesarily need to work in the summer and I would like to spend the time with my son and the rest of our family (we do annual week long camping trips in the summer) before baby comes. Not only that, but I feel like opening in the summer and then taking time off for maternity leave in August just doesnt seem to be worth messing with.

I really want just teachers kids only right now but im not due until mid august and I know ill want time off after so I wouldn't want to open until mid sepetember or october but I feel by then teachers kids will be out of the question. I want to operate my schedule on the school calendar with summers off. This is getting so long, sorry! Should I just tell parents im not open in the summer and try to find kids for oct-june? Or maybe do just drop in and partime until next fall? Maybe wait on opening until next fall (least favorite option). I could also take full timers in the fall and work this summer but change to a school schedule next fall but then ill feel bad for inconveniencing the current parents I have. Not sure what to do.
rosieteddy 08:04 AM 02-25-2016
If you can afford to I would start Jan 2017.I would advertise for school teachers starting Sept. Maybe start with one infant and your own.Work your way up to what you want to have enrolled. Make sure you have a calendar of the schools you want to follow.Then write your contract to include what is important to you. Are you going to take paid vacations on school vacations?Or are you going to add to weekly tuition and take those weeks unpaid? What will your summer plan be?When I offered teachers contracts they had July and Aug off. I took a two week non refundable fee to hold spot.This was not applied to first two weeks.Good luck.
Reply Up