Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Question for Tom
bzzzybee 04:28 PM 03-02-2017
Hi Tom!
My husband had a new job beginning January 1 of 2016 as an independent contractor doing life insurance and retirement planning with teachers. He worked mainly from home and on rare occasion needed to meet outside the home with a client. I run my daycare out of my home and am doing our taxes and wondering if you could answer a few questions for me...
1. In regards to mileage, can he claim miles he drove from our home to a client even though he did not have a home office? He used our bedroom as his workspace.
2. Does he need to file a schedule C or can he do a schedule C-EZ because I don't think he will need to file form 4562 or form 8829 since I will file those for the daycare? Or am I incorrect and he will need to file those forms?
3. If he does need to file form 8829 can he write off expenses for our home? As in, we both can write off utilities, insurance, etc.
4. And finally, I am guessing that if we bought paper for our printer that both of us will use for our business, only one of us can write the item off as an expense, correct?
TomCopeland 10:50 AM 03-03-2017
Originally Posted by bzzzybee:
Hi Tom!
My husband had a new job beginning January 1 of 2016 as an independent contractor doing life insurance and retirement planning with teachers. He worked mainly from home and on rare occasion needed to meet outside the home with a client. I run my daycare out of my home and am doing our taxes and wondering if you could answer a few questions for me...
1. In regards to mileage, can he claim miles he drove from our home to a client even though he did not have a home office? He used our bedroom as his workspace.
2. Does he need to file a schedule C or can he do a schedule C-EZ because I don't think he will need to file form 4562 or form 8829 since I will file those for the daycare? Or am I incorrect and he will need to file those forms?
3. If he does need to file form 8829 can he write off expenses for our home? As in, we both can write off utilities, insurance, etc.
4. And finally, I am guessing that if we bought paper for our printer that both of us will use for our business, only one of us can write the item off as an expense, correct?
Unless your husband has an exclusive use space for a home office he can't deduct miles from his home to places of work.
He can file Schedule C EZ if he earned less than $25,000 and has business expenses of less than $5,000 and doesn't have a loss or any employees.
Since he doesn't have an exclusive use space he can't claim home expenses on Form 8829.
He can deduct his portion of the computer paper as his business expense and you can deduct your portion (time-space %) as your business expense. The answer would be the same for other items in your home that you both use.
Reply Up