Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Strong Mildew Smell - Should I Say Something?
Hunni Bee 11:03 AM 12-06-2017
One of my dcbs has a distinct mildew-y odor about him. He's clean, wears clean clothes and everything seems okay at home. It smells like either they might have a mold problem in their house or maybe wet clothes are being left in the washer too long.

None of the kids has said anything, but its seems to be getting stronger and its starting to give me headache. I don't have the kind of set-up where I could change him and wash his clothes.

Would you mention it? And how? His parents are nice, but young and his mom is very shy. I would hate to hurt their feelings.
AmyKidsCo 01:16 PM 12-06-2017
I'm super-sensitive to that smell but if he's clean and his clothes are clean I wouldn't say anything, especially if his mom is super shy. Some people just don't know not to leave clothes in the washer or notice that smell.
boy_mom 01:54 PM 12-06-2017
I agree, if he is clean and the clothes are clean than I wouldn't really say anything. Can you use a oil diffuser or something in the room to help block the smell?
Miss A 02:07 PM 12-06-2017
It is very possible that the smell may be something out of moms control. Maybe they don't have a washer and dryer at home, and have to use a laundromat, or maybe they have an older or second hand washer. Sometimes machines that have been used frequently but have not been taken care of smell like that.

If DCB is obviously coming in with clean clothes, and he is well taken care of i wouldn't say anything at all.
Ariana 05:15 PM 12-06-2017
Do they live in a basement apartment? Sometimes that can be the culprit as basements are generally wetter.

I currently have a child that smells like mosquito repellant. It is really weird because its winter here so no bugs. I am trying to figure it out. Its very strong and does not smell like any kind of detergent I have ever smelled before. They moved this weekend so I hope she comes back this week smelling different.
Miss A 05:18 PM 12-06-2017
Originally Posted by Ariana:
Do they live in a basement apartment? Sometimes that can be the culprit as basements are generally wetter.

I currently have a child that smells like mosquito repellant. It is really weird because its winter here so no bugs. I am trying to figure it out. Its very strong and does not smell like any kind of detergent I have ever smelled before. They moved this weekend so I hope she comes back this week smelling different.
Maybe her winter clothing was stored in moth balls?
Second Home 06:48 AM 12-07-2017
Many HE front load washers do not drain fully and water sits in the bottom of the machine . This leads to a mildew smell from the dirty sitting water in the machine . You must manually drain the water from the bottom with the drain tube.

Maybe they have a front load washer.
Max 07:42 AM 12-07-2017
This used to be my family. Our washer was soooo old, I think some of the mildew smell came from the machine. We also had moisture in our basement. I ran a large de-humidifier 24/7 and it would pull 6-8 gallons of water each day.

We had to re-grade our yard, pour new concrete, buy a new washer, and get new gutters to actually fix the problem. Ugh it took a lot.

Anyways, I’m still self-conscious our home might have that smell. I’ve asked my mom to tell me, truthfully, if the odor was still there and she says no. But I’m still worried.. I more of a shy/quiet type with some people but I would want to know. I plan to ask my licensor tomorrow when she’s out lol I just want to be SURE it’s gone.

I think saying something kindly, not make it a big deal but just a heads up, would be a good idea it’s like letting someone walk around with TP on their shoe

If she needs non-expensive ideas.. stronger smelling detergent and fabric sheets, plus de-humidifier, helped us in the interim.
hwichlaz 07:45 AM 12-07-2017
I’d say something, but only because it’s giving you a head ache.

Ask her if it’s a problem with her washer and if she needs some suggestions on how to fix it.

I’d be as diplomatic as possible. But if it wasn’t solved I’d start having to puff on my inhaler and that’s not okay.
Ariana 09:40 AM 12-07-2017
Originally Posted by Miss A:
Maybe her winter clothing was stored in moth balls?
Its not mothballs, or at least not what I know they smell like and its her regular clothes. Her outdoor clothes smell normal.

They moved on the weekend and she came in today with no smell!!
daycarediva 10:19 AM 12-07-2017
Originally Posted by Ariana:

Did the bomb their house/apartment? I had a family years ago who did and brought the kid in clothes that REEKED of big spray type smell. I was gagging. Mom laughed it off, but I had to bag the clothes and put them outside and air out the house.

I have a child who smells similar now. He's drop in, and it honestly makes me not want to be near him. I have the ability to change his clothes and wash them though, so I haven't said anything. Dad did bring it up once though, said Mom puts the clothes in the washer in the morning and transfers them after work so he does his own laundry. I jokingly (not so jokingly) said, hey do dcb's too. Sometimes they don't smell now so I know DCD took that advice.
Reply Up