Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>"Your Child Care Conundrum is an Anti-Communist Plot"
Pestle 07:34 PM 06-14-2017
Wry article here. Interesting and more than a little entertaining.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/better_li...src=burger_bar

Basically, it states:

-In the dawn of the Soviet Union, when communism was fashionable among progressive Americans, there were state-run Soviet day cares.

-As communism turned out to be a wash, the day cares devolved into indoctrination centers for the miserable masses in the Soviet Union.

-In the US, day care existed as a form of welfare for the poorest working women, until the 1950s when state-supported centers were opened as middle-class women began to join the workforce.

-RED SCARE. Women working outside of the home! Pinko commies in our cities! Dogs and cats, living together!

-Another attempt in the '70s to get gov't assistance for care, early childhood education, and nutrition. Pat Buchanan hollered "commies" and shut it down.

And that, the author states, is part of why she can't afford child care (and, extrapolating, why we get paid diddly squat).
Blackcat31 06:23 AM 06-15-2017
Definitely an interesting read for sure....

Personally, I don't think the government belongs anywhere near child rearing and I don't believe in universal child care or preschool. I think early education is just a fancy buzz word to garner public funding and support.
Fiddlesticks 06:52 AM 06-15-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

Personally, I don't think the government belongs anywhere near child rearing and I don't believe in universal child care or preschool. I think early education is just a fancy buzz word to garner public funding and support.

Totally agree.

Also, I don't get paid diddly squat, I make more than I ever did as a preschool teacher in a center or a 5th grade teacher in the school district. But my income did take a hit when the schools started offering all day pre k for fours, and likely will again if they offer it to threes. Even though the parents pay MORE to the school than they did to me, because the pre k isn't free, so it is not saving the parents any money. It is the state taking away our customers, and adding a grade level of teachers to the union so that the union can collect more dues. That is the real reason behind universal preschool.
daycarediva 10:56 AM 06-15-2017

I am all for less government involvement. I would love to see them butt out of childcare all together, but there is money involved, so they will become more aggressive about pushing policies toward universal childcare.

Parents who complain about options NOW will eventually have NO options other than government run facilities, if they have their way.
Annalee 10:59 AM 06-15-2017
Originally Posted by daycarediva:

I am all for less government involvement. I would love to see them butt out of childcare all together, but there is money involved, so they will become more aggressive about pushing policies toward universal childcare.

Parents who complain about options NOW will eventually have NO options other than government run facilities, if they have their way.
Yes and then parents will still be complaining. Sometimes you get what you want but it really wasn't what you wanted afterall.
daycarediva 11:04 AM 06-15-2017
Originally Posted by Annalee:
Yes and then parents will still be complaining. Sometimes you get what you want but it really wasn't what you wanted afterall.
yes, because they won't have any other choice!

A dcm and I just talked about this Monday, child care options ARE limited, we agreed on that. Prices ARE high (and I quantified why, and how in some areas, prices are so low providers are quitting bc they can't live on it leaving large areas with no childcare options at all) and she went on this big thing about how she wished they would support Obama's dream of creating universal childcare where all kids could have access to quality care.

AND that's where she got a very different point of view! The center she hated so much and pulled dcb from to bring him to my program (which she loves and is now QUITTING HER JOB to SAH because I gave them notice) would NOT exist. Yes, it's unfortunate that other children do not have the same opportunities as your child, but allowing a government run, cookie cutter program available to all is NOT a good solution.
Mad_Pistachio 12:04 PM 06-15-2017
[I wrote a lengthy text about my experience in Soviet daycare and removed it. who cares.]
Soviet Union fell apart almost 30 years ago. it's about time to bury it.
Mike 08:11 PM 06-15-2017
Originally Posted by Annalee:

I've seen system changes that did that.
Cat Herder 04:18 AM 06-16-2017
Originally Posted by Mad_Pistachio:
[I wrote a lengthy text about my experience in Soviet daycare and removed it. who cares.]
Soviet Union fell apart almost 30 years ago. it's about time to bury it.
I care.

I would love to hear that story. I have learned a lot from your posts. I appreciate your point of view very much.
Mad_Pistachio 11:35 AM 06-16-2017
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I care.

I would love to hear that story. I have learned a lot from your posts. I appreciate your point of view very much.
I will come back and write again, if everything is well. when I wrote yesterday, I literally had a physical reaction to what I typed. this is not something that happens a whole lot to me.
Cat Herder 11:53 AM 06-16-2017
Got it.

No further need for explanation.
Mom2Two 11:56 AM 06-16-2017

Mom2Two 12:00 PM 06-16-2017
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I care.

I'd love to hear it too. I know what you mean when you talk about physical reaction. Sometimes there are things that when I try to talk about them, my throat starts closing up and it's hard to breath.
Mom2Two 12:03 PM 06-16-2017
If anyone wants to know what starts happening when the government taxes and spends, look at what happened in Great Britain during the recent cyber attack: The hospitals had to cancel surgeries because THEY WERE RUNNING ON WINDOWS XP TO SAVE MONEY. That was a governement decision to cut budget that way. Stuff like that happens all the time in Australia too.

Nothing is free, and when you start depending on the government, you start losing freedom--you become dependant and needy and all of a sudden you have less and less say.
Mad_Pistachio 12:04 PM 06-16-2017
Originally Posted by Mom2Two:
I'd love to hear it too. I know what you mean when you talk about physical reaction. Sometimes there are things that when I try to talk about them, my throat starts closing up and it's hard to breath.
nah, I was breathing fine. it was more like "I ate something yucky/spoiled" stuff: taste in mouth, weird sensation in my teeth, all that. last time I had it was when we got audited. just a nasty feeling overall. I figured I probably shouldn't post it... not now, at least.
Blackcat31 12:27 PM 06-16-2017
Originally Posted by Mom2Two:
Nothing is free, and when you start depending on the government, you start losing freedom--you become dependant and needy and all of a sudden you have less and less say.

Cat Herder 04:11 PM 06-16-2017
Cycles, cycles, cycles.

Jun 3, 2016 https://www.nmaeyc.org/news/engage-p...ative/2016-6-3

"Today, we are pleased to announce Power to the Profession, a two-year collaborative initiative to establish professional guidelines for early childhood educators across all states and settings."

"As more attention and funding is directed towards early childhood education, early educators must elevate the profession to ensure current and future resources deliver the best outcomes for children."

"To maintain and build investments in early childhood education, the public and policymakers need to understand what they are paying for and why. In order to promote this understanding, we need to come together to establish a unified framework for required competencies, qualifications and compensation."

"The collaboration will also include national stakeholder organizations with systems-level influence on the profession"

Sold to us by promising better pay, while parents are still lamenting our tuition rates.
Reply Up