Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Forms - Uploads>Vacation Notice, What to Include...
DaycareProvider 11:18 AM 06-07-2012
I'm going on vacation for the first time and I was wondering if anyone had any advice or help as to what to put on my door notice for all parents to see.

Since all the parents are on different payment schedules I wanted to make it clear that payments are still due as they normally would be that week before I go (my vacation starts on friday). And then when I get back, that payments are due on the friday I open back up (even if their child is only there for 1 day that week)

I don't want it to sound abrasive, but I do want to make sure it is clear as day and their will be no negotiating on this topic since we all know that daycare parents hardly ever understand or read the contracts.
Former Teacher 12:55 PM 06-07-2012
Originally Posted by DaycareProvider:
I'm going on vacation for the first time and I was wondering if anyone had any advice or help as to what to put on my door notice for all parents to see.

Since all the parents are on different payment schedules I wanted to make it clear that payments are still due as they normally would be that week before I go (my vacation starts on friday). And then when I get back, that payments are due on the friday I open back up (even if their child is only there for 1 day that week)

I don't want it to sound abrasive, but I do want to make sure it is clear as day and their will be no negotiating on this topic since we all know that daycare parents hardly ever understand or read the contracts.
I highly recommend that whatever you choose to do, make sure you have the parents sign a paper stating that they have received your notice.
Blackcat31 12:59 PM 06-07-2012
I give my parents a blank monthly calendar with events and payment dates written on it and highlighted.

When it is time for a vacation or something out of the norm, I usually give them a second copy of the calendar and highlight (really noticeably) the dates I will be closed and the dates in which I expect their payments as a secondary reminder.

I will do them by hand sometimes as all payment dates are not the same for each family.
Kiki 01:43 PM 06-07-2012
Originally Posted by DaycareProvider:

I usually just write up a nice letter.
Dear Parents, Blah blah blah, niceness, I'm closed on ***X day, as a reminder, per your signed contract, payments are still due *** days out of the year regardless of my closures. (Haha, sorry it's not a great letter, but I'm sure you get the point.)
Not only do I hand them the letter, and say 'This is for my upcoming vacation for these dates.' I also pin one to our notice board, and send them out weekly with their invoices until I leave.
I had an issue last year with a family that freaked out a week before my Disney vacation saying they had no idea. Even though I had gave them verbal and written notice once a month since March. The vacation was in October.

As a note, apparently you can't do x's in a row on the forum without being blanked out, how naughty of me!
DaycareProvider 01:50 PM 06-07-2012
Thanks for the responses. Next year I will require a signature stating that they have formally been notified. That's a good idea. I told them 6 weeks in advance, and then 5 weeks in advance. But there's always one person out of the group who doesn't quite get it so I thought this note on the door would be loud and clear.
texascare 09:47 AM 06-08-2012
I give 2 months notice and put the note w/their name in the cubbie or hand it to each parent and I email them as well. I also put a note on the door about 3weeks prior to the date and leave it up there for all to see. I also ask in May for each families summer vacation schedule. I too have been on the end when a parents comes up and says "we didn't know you were going on vacation". One year I said "well that's funny everyone else knows!".....
Now I make it to where there is no possible way that they can't not know!
Reply Up