Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Menus, Breakfast, Lunch and Snack Ideas>Unhealthy menu
Bridgetns 04:06 AM 08-26-2014
When I did work at the daycare, and it still bugs me to no end, they served pretty unhealthy food to the kids.

We had a 4 week rotation. But generally we served

Breakfast:

Cereal ( fruit loops and honey nut Cheerios) on Mondays and Fridays.
Grits and toast on Tuesday
Poptarts on Wednesday( and whenever they didn't go grocery shopping)
Eggs And toast on Thursday.

Lunch:

This varies, but a lot of the time it was rice+ a type of bean, or meat, canned veggies, and canned fruit.
Beanie weenies from a can.
Cheapest chicken nuggets possible
Pizza
Sandwiches with chips

Snacks:

2crackers. (Ritz and saltines)
Cheezits
Animal crackers
Cookies
Ice cream

All of the lunches were really salty, too. They refused to get on a food program at the center because then they would have to serve different food.

I just always felt bad for the kids eating it becauae I know I wouldn't eat it everyday.

And although they promoted themselves as a secular daycare, they FORCED the children ( even the one year olds) to say a religious prayer before eating or they would take the food away until they said it. And call the parents if they didn't.

Ugh. Just another reason I quit.
Thriftylady 05:23 AM 08-26-2014
Honestly I would have turned them in for withholding food. As far as the menu, I get you but sadly that is the norm sometimes anymore. Rest assured, there are places (homes and centers) not like that.
Hunni Bee 06:50 PM 08-26-2014
Yeah this irritates me to no end...I work at a high end preschool and the menu sucks, but in the past few months it has gotten significantly better. Still quite a bit of processed food and salty/sugary snacks, but a lot more fresh fruit and veggies. We went from having fresh fruit and veggies once a week to once a day. So I'm hopeful.

The only way it'll get better is if the parents complain, which is what I believe happened to us.
Unregistered 02:41 AM 10-14-2014
I worked at a couple centers that weren't the best, but they were better than this! Yuck!
Reply Up