Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Naptime Activities for SA
Josiegirl 04:15 AM 06-22-2017
*sigh* It's difficult enough to find 5 minutes to call your own during the day just to decompress. But with SA dcks it's even harder. The older ones are earning screen time by reading, doing summer homework or writing(journals or whatever). But it's the 6 yos that have a hard time with staying busy enough to be happy. I've got a 6 yo thru this week and then a different 6 yo starting Monday for the summer. They seem to be the highest maintenance dcks of all. I give them markers, colored pencils, paper, scissors, stickers, etc., to take into the living room along with a few fine motor manipulatives. But it doesn't keep a 6 yo busy for long. They want to glue, paint, and that's a nono during naps because I have to oversee it. So they're bored.
Yesterday, playing outside, if the 6 yo wasn't running every minute, she'd utter that B word. And I told her that being bored is NOT a bad thing and I wasn't here to entertain her. But kids are used to having adults regulate their time. And hearing 'bored' always makes me feel like I'm not doing enough, it's a negative thing, and I should be offering them something more to do.
It bothers me more when it's inside and during nap time because they come and seek me out, disrupting the ones who are trying to nap. I feel like they probably go home and tell their parent that I'm not doing this or that so it 'looks bad'. Especially with certain parents. But quite honestly, I absolutely need a little down time during the day also. Being in demand for a straight 10 hr. day is hard work and I truly believe some parents think we have it easy.
Age old dilemma needs a solution?? Any ideas?? Thanks!!
Blackcat31 06:44 AM 06-22-2017
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
*sigh* It's difficult enough to find 5 minutes to call your own during the day just to decompress. But with SA dcks it's even harder. The older ones are earning screen time by reading, doing summer homework or writing(journals or whatever). But it's the 6 yos that have a hard time with staying busy enough to be happy. I've got a 6 yo thru this week and then a different 6 yo starting Monday for the summer. They seem to be the highest maintenance dcks of all. I give them markers, colored pencils, paper, scissors, stickers, etc., to take into the living room along with a few fine motor manipulatives. But it doesn't keep a 6 yo busy for long. They want to glue, paint, and that's a nono during naps because I have to oversee it. So they're bored.
Yesterday, playing outside, if the 6 yo wasn't running every minute, she'd utter that B word. And I told her that being bored is NOT a bad thing and I wasn't here to entertain her. But kids are used to having adults regulate their time. And hearing 'bored' always makes me feel like I'm not doing enough, it's a negative thing, and I should be offering them something more to do.
It bothers me more when it's inside and during nap time because they come and seek me out, disrupting the ones who are trying to nap. I feel like they probably go home and tell their parent that I'm not doing this or that so it 'looks bad'. Especially with certain parents. But quite honestly, I absolutely need a little down time during the day also. Being in demand for a straight 10 hr. day is hard work and I truly believe some parents think we have it easy.
Age old dilemma needs a solution?? Any ideas?? Thanks!!
Choices.

Color quietly for more than 15 minuets OR rest time

Read quietly for more than 15 minutes OR rest time

Play nicely with the options provided OR rest time

I would give them a 1, 2, 3 type of consequence.

When the "B" word or negative/loud behaviors begin, REMIND them (#1) of the 'other' choice (rest time).

If it continues WARN them (#2) of the consequence or other choice (rest time)

If it still continues IMMEDIATE CONSEQUENCE (#3) rest time swiftly and immediately.

Odds are they will NOT test you the following day.

It really does work.
The key is getting them to understand they DO have a choice other than playing quietly or being bored.
Rest time.

But it's up to them to choose wisely and then behave accordingly.
Cat Herder 07:30 AM 06-22-2017
What BC said.

Some options I have had great success with were classic light bright, Spirograph, micro-scope/ pre-made slides, circuit kits, magnetic building sets and age appropriate online courses in whatever they are into (Khan).

I don't actually keep SA's. but have many redshirters.
Leigh 10:26 AM 06-22-2017
Some kids can have every option on Earth and still get bored and act up! What works for me is to discuss why the younger kids are napping (they need it for their bodies and brains to grow and to be happy). If anyone wakes a sleeping child, they go take the nap for that child, and must stay at nap until the last child wakes. I have only ONE child who has had to go take that nap (3 times in the last 6 months or so)-the rest have learned to find ways to be quiet.
kendallina 11:09 AM 06-22-2017
Exactly what BC said! I tell them outside or nap mat. If they're in my livingroom for more than a few minutes than the littles can't fall asleep, so when the weather's appropriate, that's their only choice!
lovemykidstoo 11:21 AM 06-22-2017
Oh Lord I could have written this. I have 2 right now. One 6 and one 7. They are driving me out of my mind. They have a 5 minute attention span. They're in the back yard right now, I can see them every minute. They have been in and out 6 times. I have to go to the bathroom, can we have a drink, can we have a game. Driving me nuts! The 6 year old yesterday is a huge manipulator. Mom came yesterday and the first thing he says is "we didn't have a snack". I dropped my mouth. I said are you serious? I don't even think you've swallowed what you had. We JUST had snack. WTH. I called him on it today and asked why he said that and he said because he was still hungry. I said, then ask me for 2nds, you don't lie and tell your mom I didn't feed you. grrr
daycarediva 11:29 AM 06-22-2017
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
Oh Lord I could have written this. I have 2 right now. One 6 and one 7. They are driving me out of my mind. They have a 5 minute attention span. They're in the back yard right now, I can see them every minute. They have been in and out 6 times. I have to go to the bathroom, can we have a drink, can we have a game. Driving me nuts! The 6 year old yesterday is a huge manipulator. Mom came yesterday and the first thing he says is "we didn't have a snack". I dropped my mouth. I said are you serious? I don't even think you've swallowed what you had. We JUST had snack. WTH. I called him on it today and asked why he said that and he said because he was still hungry. I said, then ask me for 2nds, you don't lie and tell your mom I didn't feed you. grrr
YUP. For the last 2 summers I have refused to take SA for summer. I WILL take them for the random 1/2 days or snow days. Once in a while.

Then I'm reminded why I don't.

MY SA go to camp down the street. Parents drop off, I pick up at 3:30, similar to the school schedule. They come home, EXHAUSTED, have snack and are happy to read and have down time until the parents pick up.

I took SA from yesterday until the end of the month, and I am REALLY regretting it right now. In/out, loud, etc and I have WELL BEHAVED SA.

Nobody is bored and there is NOTHING outside to play with because it was all moved Monday. They made up a game with a ball and sticks. They're 6 and 8.
bklsmum 05:51 AM 06-23-2017
Agree with BC on this one. You are not doing anything wrong so don't let them make you feel that you are. They can control themselves for a school day, they can control themselves for a nap time.
flying_babyb 03:26 PM 06-25-2017
as for naptime: google "Nap time quiet basket" and the age group! I swear by the quiet basket. The big secret to making it work? its only available at nap. Did a couple special baskets too that were only available at certain times and had exciting stuff (moon sand, race cars and road tape ect). Seemed to starve off the I'm bored moments. Alot of the stuff in the baskets was cheap $1 stuff from Micheal, dollar tree and target.
LK5kids 06:13 PM 06-25-2017
I don't have too much trouble with SA but I have have two separate DC rooms and during nap they are in the room we eat in.

I've had great success with Perler beads. The kind you iron. I have lots of templates and a big bin of the beads. My school age will work and work on these. I put a magnet strip on the back.

God's eyes are always a great hit. I use tongue depressors and variegated yarn. I do have to tie on additional pieces of yarn so just like the Perler beads I have to invest a little time.

Legos which are not out any time except nap.

My SA kids are happy with scissors, glue, markers and other collage materials too.

I have rubbing plates. one set is batman and one set is Barbie. They love these.

Light box

I love the idea if they wake up a child they have to take that child's nap!
flying_babyb 02:23 PM 06-26-2017
my coworker took Popsicle sticks, put Velcro on the ends (one end soft and one prickly) and told them to build something. I was stunned at how long they played with something so simple
Josiegirl 02:45 AM 06-27-2017
Originally Posted by flying_babyb:
my coworker took Popsicle sticks, put Velcro on the ends (one end soft and one prickly) and told them to build something. I was stunned at how long they played with something so simple
Fun idea! I'll have to try that.

I have to check out quiet time boxes. I've tried that in the past for kiddos who had outgrown naps for the most part, like age 3-5. This 6 yo I have now, she loves her princess dolls, people, dollhouse, etc., but being the only one in that age group, plus she's really a difficult child to get along with , she gets bored playing by herself for more than 5 minutes.
hwichlaz 12:40 PM 06-28-2017
They have to lay down quietly until all of the younger kids are asleep. Then if they are still awake (it's about 50/50) they can color quietly, do a workbook, read etc. If they can't do it quietly, they rest on their cot.
Tags:school age daycare kids, school aged care, school agers
Reply Up