Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Any of You Close for The Whole Summer?
LovetheSun 01:53 PM 11-15-2016
Hi everyone!

I was wondering if any of you close for the whole summer? It seems very unusual for Daycare (but ok for preschools).
childcaremom 02:08 PM 11-15-2016
Yes, I do. But I have all teachers as clients. I set that intentionally so I would have the summer with my kids and a built in break for me.
lovemydaycare0912 02:13 PM 11-15-2016
Originally Posted by childcaremom:
Yes, I do. But I have all teachers as clients. I set that intentionally so I would have the summer with my kids and a built in break for me.
Nice. Do you charge more throughout the year? Ever worried that certain families won't come back after summer?
childcaremom 03:22 PM 11-15-2016
I charge a lot more. Like a lot more. I have learned to market creatively and the fact that I will work around a teacher's schedule is a big selling feature here.

I don't make as much as if I was open year round but the difference is not huge and it's well worth it to me and my children to have school holidays off.

I just made the switch to teachers last year so can only speak to one summer off so far. I charge a non-refundable deposit at the end of June to hold their spot for September. If one had decided last minute to leave, it would probably leave me struggling to try and fill it. I have one opening so am having a hard time, now that school has started, to fill it. I could have filled it with a year round client but honestly, I couldn't handle being open for just one.

And to be completely honest, I am only in this business for a few more years (max) so hope to keep these same families for the duration. Unless they were to switch schools or go on mat leave (which is a huge possibility) I can't see them leaving.

I will say that September was tricky, getting everyone back into routine, but by October it was smooth sailing. I also had an amazing summer with my kids. It was awesome. My kids are getting older and it will probably be one of the last summers that they were happy to spend a lot of time hanging out together. I treasure the memories we made.
Unregistered 08:52 PM 11-15-2016
I normally don't have the summers off but this summer I had the whole summer off.i didn't like it was a big loss of income/getting the kids back in routine after being home so long.
I thought i would enjoy being off but i found it boring all summer without working,summer is usually really busy with lots of kids and summer activitys.i had some parents switch to teaching so they got summer off.
Gemma 04:02 AM 11-16-2016
I can only imagine what it would be like to have the whole Summer off
MissAnn 04:27 AM 11-16-2016
Teacher's pay for 2 days/week during summer at part time (higher) rate to reserve spot. I had one teacher's kid every single day!
LovetheSun 09:14 AM 11-16-2016
The change of routine and the lost of clients definitely worries me, so is nice to read your experience with that.

It wouldn't be something I can do this year but i would love to do that one summer.
Play Care 09:36 AM 11-16-2016
I take Fridays off in July and August as well as close earlier M-Th.

It's nice because I still have some income, and keep a routine, but it also feels like SUMMER!!

Those years where I had 10+ kids all summer exhausted me, and September would come and I'd be beat.
I feel like I've gotten the best of both worlds the last few years.
LovetheSun 07:58 PM 11-16-2016
Originally Posted by Play Care:

It's nice because I still have some income, and keep a routine, but it also feels like SUMMER!!

Those years where I had 10+ kids all summer exhausted me, and September would come and I'd be beat.
I didn't think of that option at all! What a great idea, it would be so ideal for us since just like you we tend to be full year round and when the weekend come I am too tired to enjoy the beach or to go out.

I am definitely going to consider this options.
momofsix 08:40 PM 11-17-2016
I take about 9 weeks off for summer. I started a couple of years ago when all of my families were teachers. I've had a couple of new families come in, but I let them know right off the bat that I close for the summer and they've been able to make arrangements for the summer. It's given me time to do some remodeling that would have been hard to do with the kids here. I LOVE having the time off and don't see myself going back to working summers again.
The start up in the fall hasn't been a problem with my kids. Nine weeks isn't so long that they forget what happens at my house, and they're super excited to start again after being gone!
I feel so refreshed and ready for the new year too
Josiegirl 03:12 AM 11-18-2016
Omg i wish
spinnymarie 07:41 AM 11-18-2016
We do a school-year schedule too, taking all summer off. (late may to mid-august)
We market specifically to teachers and have a long wait list.
We charge more per day than others nearby, but it is still slightly cheaper than paying for a full-year daycare, and the loss of income is worth it to us.
We make parents pay August tuition in May to hold their spot.
SunflowerMama 11:54 AM 03-21-2017

I think I may try and implement this this summer! It would be so refreshing and really feel like a summer. What time do you close M - Th? How reduced is your weekly rate from the school year? Currently I'm open 7:30a - 5pm and charge $185 a week. I'd love to do 7:30a - 4pm M - TH, close on Friday and maybe charge $165 a week. I have 10 year old twins and it would really feel like summer if I could have that extra hour during the week and Fridays off.
CityGarden 11:14 PM 03-21-2017

I really like this approach.

Originally Posted by momofsix:
I take about 9 weeks off for summer. I started a couple of years ago when all of my families were teachers. I've had a couple of new families come in, but I let them know right off the bat that I close for the summer and they've been able to make arrangements for the summer. It's given me time to do some remodeling that would have been hard to do with the kids here. I LOVE having the time off and don't see myself going back to working summers again.
The start up in the fall hasn't been a problem with my kids. Nine weeks isn't so long that they forget what happens at my house, and they're super excited to start again after being gone!
I feel so refreshed and ready for the new year too
Oh how I wish I could close all summer! Sadly I cannot afford that at this point. Maybe someday in the future but not yet.

Another approach I recently came across is a home based program that is year round but they take "summer break" it is not the entire summer but a week at the start and two weeks at the end of summer. They do not discount the annual tuition at all. It is more time than I would take but I like the general idea.
LovetheSun 11:25 PM 03-21-2017
Originally Posted by CityGarden:
I really like this approach.

Another approach I recently came across is a home based program that is year round but they take "summer break" it is not the entire summer but a week at the start and two weeks at the end of summer. They do not discount the annual tuition at all. It is more time than I would take but I like the general idea.
So funny, I was just day dreaming of closing this whole Summer when I saw this conversation was up again.

CityGarden, we usually close two weeks by the end of June or early July. It feel so refreshing to have two weeks off and we feel great for the rest of the Summer. You can either charge for these two week or as a lot do around is to raise the material/annual fee significantly (like half of your usual two weeks tuition if you charge $500 for two weeks then take a $250/300 Fee) to cover your vacation (because the family paid already is stress free since it might avoid families trying to give you a notice right before your vacation).

Now we might close in August instead since a lot of kids are leaving for Kindergarten and it will be simpler for everyone, however we will be closed on Independence day on Monday July13th and Tuesday 14th so we have a nice long weekend.
Pandaluver21 12:25 PM 03-22-2017
During the school year we have preschool-kindergarten, then during the summer we have a school age program. I don't want the summer off :P I get bored when I don't have a house full of kiddos!
Unregistered 04:52 PM 03-22-2017
Originally Posted by childcaremom:
I do as well. However I charge 50% tuition to hold there spot thru the summer. If they need occasional care they can check in and if I'm avaliable I'll watch them. But I am closed always Monday & Friday.
CityGarden 04:55 PM 03-22-2017
Originally Posted by LovetheSun:
So funny, I was just day dreaming of closing this whole Summer when I saw this conversation was up again.

CityGarden, we usually close two weeks by the end of June or early July. It feel so refreshing to have two weeks off and we feel great for the rest of the Summer. You can either charge for these two week or as a lot do around is to raise the material/annual fee significantly (like half of your usual two weeks tuition if you charge $500 for two weeks then take a $250/300 Fee) to cover your vacation (because the family paid already is stress free since it might avoid families trying to give you a notice right before your vacation).

Now we might close in August instead since a lot of kids are leaving for Kindergarten and it will be simpler for everyone, however we will be closed on Independence day on Monday July13th and Tuesday 14th so we have a nice long weekend.
Very interesting - I am already charging a supply fee to cover actual materials (and maybe MGT as a back up program until I get more into a rhythm) but I may do this.
LovetheSun 01:38 AM 03-23-2017
Originally Posted by CityGarden:
Very interesting - I am already charging a supply fee to cover actual materials (and maybe MGT as a back up program until I get more into a rhythm) but I may do this.
We had two families giving notice right before our last paid vacation which was definitely a set back on our budget and disappointing from them even if the contract clearly stated the reason behind paid vacation is to keep the rate lower the rest of the year.
Which explains why some provider charge a higher once a year fee plus choose to raise their price but have the vacation unpaid and maybe it avoid families thinking they are doing YOU a favor by paying your time off
Tags:summer - closed
Reply Up