Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>18 Month Old Always Constipated
Unregistered 10:45 AM 03-28-2017
I have an 18 month old DCG who has major constipation issues. As a baby she did not have any problems, but when she hit around one year old, she has been chronically constipated. We thought maybe it was due to cow's milk, so mom took her off of that. Mom has been taking her to a chiropractor regularly and giving her probiotics to try and help. This seemed to help for a bit, but lately it has become an every day problem. The pediatrician does not see this as a big issue and hasn't given ideas of how to help it other that suggesting giving her miralax. Mom doesn't want to do that because she wants a long term solution, not a temporary fix.
I am getting frustrated with the situation because this little one is miserable and struggles all day to go and is in obvious pain because of it. She is unhappy most days lately because all she is doing is trying to poop without any success and watching this day after day makes me feel so bad for her. Any ideas on what else to try for her? Would you send her home because of the situation?
Cat Herder 10:46 AM 03-28-2017
Is she getting enough fiber in her diet? How is she drinking?
AmyKidsCo 10:50 AM 03-28-2017
What does she normally eat?

I've got a 2 yr old who's not constipated, but has really hard poo on Mondays that are soft by Friday. I only serve whole grains, little sugar, few processed foods, and the ones I serve are whole grain and/or organic.

I'd try switching to whole grains, pushing water or watered down juice, and reducing processed foods. See if that helps.
LysesKids 10:54 AM 03-28-2017
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I have an 18 month old DCG who has major constipation issues. As a baby she did not have any problems, but when she hit around one year old, she has been chronically constipated. We thought maybe it was due to cow's milk, so mom took her off of that. Mom has been taking her to a chiropractor regularly and giving her probiotics to try and help. This seemed to help for a bit, but lately it has become an every day problem. The pediatrician does not see this as a big issue and hasn't given ideas of how to help it other that suggesting giving her miralax. Mom doesn't want to do that because she wants a long term solution, not a temporary fix.
I am getting frustrated with the situation because this little one is miserable and struggles all day to go and is in obvious pain because of it. She is unhappy most days lately because all she is doing is trying to poop without any success and watching this day after day makes me feel so bad for her. Any ideas on what else to try for her? Would you send her home because of the situation?
I had a dcg whose food allergies caused severe constipation & intestinal issues... she got tested by an allergist at age 24 months & the foods were removed from her diet; she was so much better after that & it's rare that she has issues (when she accidentally eats something she shouldn't). Her baby brother is the same way but NOT near as allergic to so much as older sister - he gets constipated when he eats something he is allergic to
Ariana 10:57 AM 03-28-2017
Is mom now giving her dairy? Why did her progress stop? All dairy causes constipation so it all needs to be cut out. We all know dairy is 75% of most kids diet! Probiotics are also good and making a smoothie with greens mixed in is a good idea as well as lots of fruit and berries.
Unregistered 10:57 AM 03-28-2017
She drinks very well. A lot of almond milk and water. She is a good eater as well. I serve a variety of fruits, veggies, and whole grains with the meals throughout the week.
Unregistered 11:13 AM 03-28-2017
I should probably clarify. What I meant by it getting better for a while was that she wasn't completely miserable and crying because of the struggle, but poop has always (since 1yr old) been a big hard ball when it comes out. It seemed like it wasn't quite as much of a struggle for awhile.
Blackcat31 11:40 AM 03-28-2017
Just passing along some info I have about this:

What is not considered normal?

Painful bowel movements
Abdominal pain
Blood in the stool
Feeling of incomplete evacuation
Hard stools
Straining
Fecal soiling
Weight loss
Vomiting
Problems with growth and development
What Causes Constipation?

Organic disorders causing constipation are rare, but include:

Hirschsprung Disease
Cystic Fibrosis
Metabolic diseases
Thyroid disease
Spinal cord abnormalities
Malformations of the anus or rectum
Diabetes
Celiac disease
Lead toxicity
Medication side effects (antidepressants, ADHD drugs, antacids, narcotics)
Ariana 11:45 AM 03-28-2017
If she is eating lots of produce and drinking lots of liquids then I would definitely ask her parents to take her in for tests. It is definitely not normal and is kind of sad for a kid to suffer this much without anyone doing anything about it.

I would recommend a naturopathic dr and also an allergist.
LysesKids 12:29 PM 03-28-2017
Originally Posted by Ariana:
If she is eating lots of produce and drinking lots of liquids then I would definitely ask her parents to take her in for tests. It is definitely not normal and is kind of sad for a kid to suffer this much without anyone doing anything about it.

I would recommend a naturopathic dr and also an allergist.
See it was the alot of fruit and certain veggies causing my dcg issues... including apples tomatoes and mushrooms; turned out she was also dairy and soy intolerant. she loves fresh but her favorites were actually hurting her
Unregistered 01:07 PM 03-28-2017
Magnesium supplement!
LysesKids 02:40 PM 03-28-2017
Magnesium supplement!
This would have been totally devastating to my daycare child because of the reason behind the constipation... how about a DR visit first to rule out medical issues before giving Magnesium. I mean the child in question is under 2 years old still
Unregistered 02:44 PM 03-28-2017
She said Dr was not concerned.
Unregistered 02:48 PM 03-28-2017
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
This would have been totally devastating to my daycare child because of the reason behind the constipation... how about a DR visit first to rule out medical issues before giving Magnesium. I mean the child in question is under 2 years old still
She said the pediatrician is not concerned so that is why i suggested the natural route. Magnedium has done wonders for my child and children I know with the same issues.
hwichlaz 03:08 PM 03-28-2017
mirilax can also be a long term solution

I have a little guy on tube feeds, he gets a half dose every day or he gets stopped up because of his high iron diet.
Josiegirl 04:16 AM 03-29-2017
I remember the exact same thing happening to 1 of my littles as soon as cow's milk was introduced. I think it was nannyde here that suggested baby pears and it worked really well. Good luck with the little tike. I remember mine standing up against the wall and pushing/crying for all she was worth. Wasn't any fun for anyone.
Her mom used to give her fleet enemas occasionally.
debbiedoeszip 05:16 AM 03-29-2017
This issue seems to be pretty common. My 2yo dcg has been constipated since she started here (8-9mo) and mom has just been advised by doctor to give her some kind of chewable gummy that contains mineral oil. It's helping. Dcg is a very picky eater and really only wants to eat starchy carbs. She's very stubborn and defiant in general so getting her to eat fiber or roughage is a battle neither mom nor I have had success with.
Blackcat31 06:30 AM 03-29-2017
She said Dr was not concerned.
I'd be inclined to find another Dr then.

Why would the Dr not be concerned about a child in pain struggling to complete a natural normal bodily function.

Having a bowel movement shouldn't be painful for the child like that....and if the Dr isn't concerned then either the Dr isn't being told the while truth or is a whack-a-doo or the parent is lying to the provider.

Either way, something is wrong and this poor child needs someone that will that will address it before it causes other bigger issues. poor babe.
Reply Up