Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Worms!!!!!
delferka 06:55 AM 03-22-2017
Am I wrong here? A mom just brought her boy in and said, "he has puppy worms but they're not contagious!!"
I said no way and she said she'll probably lose her job!
I said I'm sorry but I can't take him!!!
Please tell me I did the right thing. I literally would pass out if I saw a worm in a diaper!!!!!!!!!!!
childcaremom 07:03 AM 03-22-2017
I would have refused care, as well.

And as for dcm losing her job.... I would be empathetic but it wouldn't change my position. This is when it's imperative that dcps have a back up plan in place.
Blackcat31 07:06 AM 03-22-2017
Originally Posted by delferka:
Am I wrong here? A mom just brought her boy in and said, "he has puppy worms but they're not contagious!!"
I said no way and she said she'll probably lose her job!
I said I'm sorry but I can't take him!!!
Please tell me I did the right thing. I literally would pass out if I saw a worm in a diaper!!!!!!!!!!!
IF she loses her job it is NOT because you will not accept him into care (I wouldn't either...) but she will lose her job because SHE doesn't have back up care for those times in which her child care is not available to care for her kid.

So YOU (your daycare) have NOTHING to do with her job retention or loss.
delferka 07:14 AM 03-22-2017
Thank you!!!!
delferka 07:14 AM 03-22-2017
Thank you!!!
daycare 07:34 AM 03-22-2017
I am afraid to google it. Sounds really gross. I have never even heard of this. What is it???
daycarediva 07:36 AM 03-22-2017
Well, he can't have puppy worms. He probably has pinworms. They're harmless (gross!) but HIGHLY contagious.

Originally Posted by :
Pinworms infections are highly contagious. You become infected with pinworms by unintentionally ingesting (or inhaling) pinworm eggs, usually deposited by an infected person onto an object. The cycle of infection begins with the ingestion of these microscopic eggs.
I would wash everything in dc, probably notify families of potential spreading, and get a dr's note that he has been treated, and is worm free before returning to dc.
DaveA 08:09 AM 03-22-2017
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
Well, he can't have puppy worms. He probably has pinworms. They're harmless (gross!) but HIGHLY contagious.

I would wash everything in dc, probably notify families of potential spreading, and get a dr's note that he has been treated, and is worm free before returning to dc.
You did the right thing refusing care. Until he is treated/ worm free he doesn't need to come back.
Cat Herder 08:19 AM 03-22-2017
Ah, the scourge of the fast food indoor playground has reared it's ugly head. It actually does not meet exclusion policy per CDC and State guidelines.

https://www.cdc.gov/parasites/pinworm/epi.html

"Pinworm is the most common worm infection in the United States. Humans are the only species that can transfer this parasite. Household pets like dogs and cats cannot become infected with human pinworms. Pinworm eggs can survive in the indoor environment for 2 to 3 weeks."

https://www.verywell.com/pinworms-di...atment-2632043

"In children over age two years, pinworms were classically treated with the prescription medication mebendazole (Vermox). Unfortunately, it was discontinued by the manufacturer in 2011.

Reese's Pinworm Medicine (pyrantel pamoate), an over-the-counter alternative to Vermox that is available as a liquid, is now most commonly used to treat pinworms."
e.j. 11:50 AM 03-22-2017
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Ah, the scourge of the fast food indoor playground has reared it's ugly head. It actually does not meet exclusion policy per CDC and State guidelines.

https://www.cdc.gov/parasites/pinworm/epi.html

"Pinworm is the most common worm infection in the United States. Humans are the only species that can transfer this parasite. Household pets like dogs and cats cannot become infected with human pinworms. Pinworm eggs can survive in the indoor environment for 2 to 3 weeks."

https://www.verywell.com/pinworms-di...atment-2632043

"In children over age two years, pinworms were classically treated with the prescription medication mebendazole (Vermox). Unfortunately, it was discontinued by the manufacturer in 2011.

Reese's Pinworm Medicine (pyrantel pamoate), an over-the-counter alternative to Vermox that is available as a liquid, is now most commonly used to treat pinworms."
The CDC also recommends that kids with lice be allowed to attend school and day care but that wouldn't be happening here any more than worms would be allowed here. It's times like this when the "My house, my rules" is a good policy to have.
Ariana 11:54 AM 03-22-2017
Pretty common! I had them as a kid (fun times )

Tell her to get an OTC worm med and he can come back when they are gone and agree you need to wash everything. The eggs are microscopic and travel easily. Also agree that this has NOTHING to do with you. She is responsible for backup care.
AmyKidsCo 12:05 PM 03-22-2017
OMG, no way!

Another vote that this is on her, not you.

My go-to is always "You wouldn't want your child exposed if it were another child..."
Cat Herder 12:15 PM 03-22-2017
"If contact is within the last month, your child may get pinworms."

If the child has been in your home in the last 30 days, the eggs are already in your playroom.

Sorry.

The medicine is under $10. In your shoes I'd be ordering it today. It is like taking liquid motrin. One dose today, one dose next week. Easy, peasy.
CalCare 12:22 PM 03-22-2017
Pinworms are common for children. But it sounds like the mom said the puppy has worms, not the child. Children aren't going to get worms from puppies. It's a different worm completely and won't go to people. Pinworms are awful. I've been there. It took 3 rounds, many months before my son stopped showing signs of them. No one else showed any signs but we all medicated.
Cat Herder 12:27 PM 03-22-2017
Maybe it is tape worms

"Occasionally, human infants and children become infected with the dog tapeworms. This happens through ingesting larvae-containing fleas."

https://www.drgreene.com/qa-articles...orms-children/

Was there a doctors note?
Blackcat31 12:38 PM 03-22-2017
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Maybe it is tape worms

"Occasionally, human infants and children become infected with the dog tapeworms. This happens through ingesting larvae-containing fleas."

https://www.drgreene.com/qa-articles...orms-children/

Was there a doctors note?
I once had a child that had a tape worm. Well actually a fish worm. I was changing his diaper and thought he had ingested yarn or some kind of string.

Nope, turns out you can get fish worm (very much like a tape worm) by eating undercooked or improperly cooked fish. The family practically lived on fish.

Not that I actually have to say this but it was soooooo gross!
daycarediva 12:40 PM 03-22-2017
I just wanted to add that this whole thread gives me the heebie jeebies.

Mom2Two 02:52 PM 03-22-2017

Yes, lol, so funny and soooo gross. Eww!

DCM was like "Here's my kid and his worms." lol, ew!
Annalee 07:30 PM 03-22-2017
This thread brought back some memories from when I was a kid (I am 50 so over 40 years ago). My grandma worked at the health dept then and every so often would bring home this liquid medicine she made all the grandkids drink because some kid had come to the health dept with worms....she was always scared her grandkids would have it, too. It was the nastiest stuff.....I can remember always spilling my cup of medicine so I wouldn't have to drink it....I was crafty like that My brother refuses to drink those strawberry carbonated drinks to this day because he says it taste like that worm medicine our grandma made us drink It was so bad!
daycarediva 04:53 AM 03-23-2017
Originally Posted by Mom2Two:
Yes, lol, so funny and soooo gross. Eww!

DCM was like "Here's my kid and his worms." lol, ew!
YES! Why do we get all the gross stuff. I don't work in health care.

Here's my kid and his rash/vomit/diarrhea/lice/snotty nose/nasty cough/ now worms, too!?

Originally Posted by Annalee:
This thread brought back some memories from when I was a kid (I am 50 so over 40 years ago). My grandma worked at the health dept then and every so often would bring home this liquid medicine she made all the grandkids drink because some kid had come to the health dept with worms....she was always scared her grandkids would have it, too. It was the nastiest stuff.....I can remember always spilling my cup of medicine so I wouldn't have to drink it....I was crafty like that My brother refuses to drink those strawberry carbonated drinks to this day because he says it taste like that worm medicine our grandma made us drink It was so bad!

YES! I just mentioned this thread to my mom and she was telling me about the time a few kids in my preschool class got worms. They took out the sandbox and we all had to take worm medicine. I didn't get them, but my mom made me take two doses and washed sheets and bedding. Thankfully I don't remember this. I guess worms can spread in sandboxes?

http://www.slate.com/articles/double...tic_worms.html

Originally Posted by :
Let’s also not forget pinworms, the tiny little worms that live in your intestines, scurry down to your anus while you sleep, and lay their eggs there every night. Nearly half of all American kids are believed to have pinworms at any given time (and when they do, their parents usually have them too), but they’re tough to diagnose: You basically have to set an alarm for a few hours after you go to sleep and then inspect your anus for crawling worms. (No, I’m not kidding.) As Austin, Texas-based pediatrician Ari Brown wrote in her best-selling book Toddler 411, sandboxes are an excellent place for kids to catch pinworms, because pinworms cause kids’ butts to itch; then they scratch their butts, getting pinworm eggs on their fingers; then they build sandcastles studded with worm eggs.

hwichlaz 10:42 AM 03-23-2017
They are fricken PAINFUL. They deposit the eggs around your anus by sticking you with a needle like ovopositor. It HURTS. There is some serious painful anal itch. So I don't buy that half the population has them, lol.
CalCare 11:14 AM 03-23-2017
Really? My 9 year old had them and didn't feel anything at all. He was just shocked to find one when wiping. And we medicated, washed like maniacs, no reuse of any bedding or towels, medicated again, then it dragged on for months! He never felt a thing, no itching either.
AmyKidsCo 11:32 AM 03-23-2017
This thread is making me itchy all over...
Snowmom 11:41 AM 03-23-2017
I guess this was the WRONG thread to open during lunch.
hwichlaz 08:37 PM 03-23-2017
Originally Posted by CalCare:
Really? My 9 year old had them and didn't feel anything at all. He was just shocked to find one when wiping. And we medicated, washed like maniacs, no reuse of any bedding or towels, medicated again, then it dragged on for months! He never felt a thing, no itching either.
Are you sure they were pinworms? and not another kind? Our first clue that they are in daycare has always been kids digging at their rearends because they itch. They'll scratch at them and itch in their sleep, getting the eggs under their fingernails (that's how they spread), and the irritation from the night time scratchind leads to more itching. blech
CalCare 09:22 PM 03-23-2017
Well they eventually went away which, if it was something else, I guess I would be surprised if the medication for pinworms solved it. Also other kids in his class had it and used the same meds and got rid of it. But, no, I can't say for certain since a doctor never specifically did any test on him. Dr just said: take this medication. Which wasn't cheap, more like $20 per a tiny bottle and had to buy it multiple times for the whole family :/
CalCare 09:25 PM 03-23-2017
My son's bff had lice and we didn't get that. So his mom and I were debating which was worse. Which, I have to say, I feel lice seems much more disturbing to me. Idk why lol maybe cause they eat the poop, not the body of the victim lol!!!!!
hwichlaz 07:57 PM 03-26-2017
The meds work for any intestinal worm. It paralyzes the worm so it lets go of the intestinal wall and is passed in BMs.
kidcrazednluvingit 11:35 AM 03-29-2017
Two years ago we bought a 9 week old puppy from a local pet store. 4 weeks later he vomited in my kitchen and what looked like little spaghetti noodles were wiggling around in it. There are no words. Turns out he had Roundworm. We found out most puppies get it through their moms milk but breeders are supposed to give them a series of dewormer- clearly ours didn't. The larvae are shed through poop too and can survive in soil and grass even through cold winters and bleach won't kill the larvae! If a child touches ground with larvae and then mouth they can be infected! This was such a nightmare for me.... I had to notify all my families that the puppy was sick and could be contagious. Really embarrassing! It took 8 weeks to completely Deworm him, if I would have seen this in my kids it would have put me over the edge. Absolutely disgusting- I cannot believe anyone would bring a kid to daycare with these symptoms. Haha... wow.
hwichlaz 10:28 AM 03-31-2017
Originally Posted by kidcrazednluvingit:
Two years ago we bought a 9 week old puppy from a local pet store. 4 weeks later he vomited in my kitchen and what looked like little spaghetti noodles were wiggling around in it. There are no words. Turns out he had Roundworm. We found out most puppies get it through their moms milk but breeders are supposed to give them a series of dewormer- clearly ours didn't. The larvae are shed through poop too and can survive in soil and grass even through cold winters and bleach won't kill the larvae! If a child touches ground with larvae and then mouth they can be infected! This was such a nightmare for me.... I had to notify all my families that the puppy was sick and could be contagious. Really embarrassing! It took 8 weeks to completely Deworm him, if I would have seen this in my kids it would have put me over the edge. Absolutely disgusting- I cannot believe anyone would bring a kid to daycare with these symptoms. Haha... wow.
Right? especially when one dose of the meds and a good bath renders the child non-contagious within hours. Just treat the kid before bed and she's safe for daycare in the morning.
midaycare 11:01 AM 03-31-2017
I did not want to click on this. Finally got the nerve. Nope, should have passed.
CeriBear 01:06 PM 04-02-2017

Me too!

And it is possible for humans to be infected with certain types of worms through contact with dogs.

It's far more likely that this child has pinworms which are highly contagious and you did the right thing by refusing care.
Tags:exclusion policy, exclusions, fleas, pinworms
Reply Up