Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Stairs, Gates And Hardwood Floors
daycare 07:57 AM 03-30-2017
I'm getting ready to move to a house that has stairs and entire house is hardwood.

I'm calling on all you experts.

What kind of gates do you like best?
How do you protect the hardwood floors from damage from the daycare kids and furniture?

Thank you in advance.
jenboo 08:12 AM 03-30-2017
Originally Posted by daycare:
I'm getting ready to move to a house that has stairs and entire house is hardwood.

How do you protect the hardwood floors from damage from the daycare kids and furniture?

Thank you in advance.
Retract a gate all the way!!! We have 4 of them. When you don't need them open, they roll up. Its awesome and i don't look like a daycare I the weekend's
Blackcat31 08:12 AM 03-30-2017

Thank you in advance.
My gates are all half-doors.

I don't have hardwood in my daycare but I do at my house and depending on the type of hardwood floors they are you can protect them in different ways.

For example my hardwood floors are actually hard wood not laminate or engineered flooring that "looks" like wood. I have area rugs in different parts of the house and that works great! We have a dog and 2 cats that scratch the floors now and then but the beauty of real hardwood is that is easily fixable.

Laminate flooring isnt necessarily fixable but it also doesn't really scratch very easily either so again, area rugs work great! Laminate flooring can chip or nick if heavy or sharp objects are dropped on them.

I would just invest in area rugs and foam tiles in the area you have high traffic or alot of activity in. Rugs and tiles are so simple to clean and/or replace if necessary.
Pestle 08:13 AM 03-30-2017
I think my floors are 15-20 years old (just guessing based on when I think the house was renovated). So the wood already has little dings and scratches. I like how easy it is to clean vs. carpet and how warm it is vs. tile. I insist that anything damp gets cleaned up immediately before it has a chance to damage the wood.

I had a plastic superyard for a while but then bought this because it can be secured to the wall and it's a couple of inches taller, and the bars make it less climb-able. The gate is much easier to operate, too.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...29fefac46c86ca

Leigh 08:28 AM 03-30-2017
I've been through a lot of gates. My favorite is the Evenflo Home Decor oak gate. I just tried to buy new ones and they're discontinued. I'm going to have my new gates custom made to look like these-there's not another gate on the market that I am aware of that would work as well as these for me.
Blackcat31 09:23 AM 03-30-2017
Originally Posted by Leigh:
I've been through a lot of gates. My favorite is the Evenflo Home Decor oak gate. I just tried to buy new ones and they're discontinued. I'm going to have my new gates custom made to look like these-there's not another gate on the market that I am aware of that would work as well as these for me.
My provider friend LOVES that brand/style too! We were just talking about them the other day.
Unfortunately, they were recalled.

http://safety.evenflo.com/cs/sc/cssc...d=EFR3&src=WEB
LittleScholars 09:50 AM 03-30-2017
Slightly off topic, but if you use foam mats check your floor periodically and check the back of each mat! Before we moved to my new space I was using a room with hardwoods. I used foam mats, which I loved, but when we moved I realized I had big blue spots on my floor (yikes). Some of my mats had very small stamps with serial numbers on them and those little ink stamps turned into ink puddles on my floor after getting damp from cleanings.
daycare 09:57 AM 03-30-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
My gates are all half-doors.

I don't have hardwood in my daycare but I do at my house and depending on the type of hardwood floors they are you can protect them in different ways.

For example my hardwood floors are actually hard wood not laminate or engineered flooring that "looks" like wood. I have area rugs in different parts of the house and that works great! We have a dog and 2 cats that scratch the floors now and then but the beauty of real hardwood is that is easily fixable.

Laminate flooring isnt necessarily fixable but it also doesn't really scratch very easily either so again, area rugs work great! Laminate flooring can chip or nick if heavy or sharp objects are dropped on them.

I would just invest in area rugs and foam tiles in the area you have high traffic or alot of activity in. Rugs and tiles are so simple to clean and/or replace if necessary.
Good point. thank you for bringing that up. I do not know if the floors are real wood or not, I was just told the words "hardwood floors" I will have to ask.

I do have a lot of area rugs and plan to use them as much as possible. I guess I am more worried about the sliding of the chairs on the ground and the heave bookshelves leaving any kind of marks.
daycare 09:58 AM 03-30-2017
Originally Posted by jenboo:
Retract a gate all the way!!! We have 4 of them. When you don't need them open, they roll up. Its awesome and i don't look like a daycare I the weekend's
Oh I will look into that. DO you know if they sell them on Amazon?
jenboo 10:03 AM 03-30-2017
They have off brands on Amazon. I heard they aren't as good though.
daycarediva 10:11 AM 03-30-2017
My provider friend LOVES that brand/style too! We were just talking about them the other day.

Originally Posted by :
Evenflo and CPSC have received nine reports of children falling down the stairs after the mounting hardware broke or cracked. Three of these children suffered bumps and bruises to their heads or arms. One child received two loosened teeth after she fell down the stairs. Also, one child placed broken hardware pieces in her mouth, but was not injured.
I had this on the bottom of our stairs before we moved, and they recalled them all? wow. We almost always use different hardware than what comes with products because it's sub-par.
Jupadia 10:31 AM 03-30-2017
I've got a retract gate upstairs in our house space for my own kids. I love it cause you don't see it if it's rolled away. I know you can get them a lot of places here in Canada such as Amazon, Walmart?, toys r us, superstore; I would think it would be even easier to find in the states.

Downstairs I hate my gate and am waiting for husband to make me a half door.
Pestle 10:48 AM 03-30-2017
I don't put any mats or rugs down on my hardwood. The sunlight coming through the window will, over time, lighten the wood, leaving dark areas where rugs are down in the daytime.
Leigh 02:24 PM 03-30-2017

I did see a recall on these, but it was long before I bought mine. The recalled products were manufactured between 1999 and 2001. Mine were manufactured in 2014.
daycare 06:10 PM 03-30-2017
Originally Posted by Pestle:
I don't put any mats or rugs down on my hardwood. The sunlight coming through the window will, over time, lighten the wood, leaving dark areas where rugs are down in the daytime.
Oh wow good to know. Is this even on luminaire flirting? I highly doubt a rental home would have real wood floors, but I don't want to assume.
Annalee 06:23 PM 03-30-2017
Good point. thank you for bringing that up. I do not know if the floors are real wood or not, I was just told the words "hardwood floors" I will have to ask.

I do have a lot of area rugs and plan to use them as much as possible. I guess I am more worried about the sliding of the chairs on the ground and the heave bookshelves leaving any kind of marks.
You can purchase tennis balls with a slit that work great on the little chair legs for the preschool tables. This is what we use. We even put the tennis balls on our table legs.
daycare 06:43 PM 03-30-2017
Originally Posted by Annalee:
You can purchase tennis balls with a slit that work great on the little chair legs for the preschool tables. This is what we use. We even put the tennis balls on our table legs.
Oh I have seen that. Thanks for the reminder. Great idea.
ColorfulSunburst 06:44 PM 03-30-2017
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...ure&tbm=shop&*
284878 12:42 PM 03-31-2017
I have one Ebay sells them, so Amazon should. I got mine from LTD Commodities, I use it at the bottom of my steps. At the top of the steps we have a summer infant metal swing gate that came with an alarm if opened (we disabled that)
I have a room divider gate with a walk through by North States (made in USA) along with their colored play yard, that I got from Amazon.
284878 12:48 PM 03-31-2017
Originally Posted by ColorfulSunburst:
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...ure&tbm=shop&*
We use these on our chairs, they hammer on and do not fall off. We replace them ever few years because we move the chairs around more than other furniture.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Shepherd-...&gclsrc=aw.dsn
Pestle 12:55 PM 03-31-2017
Oh wow good to know. Is this even on luminaire flirting? I highly doubt a rental home would have real wood floors, but I don't want to assume.
Laminate flooring? It's still susceptible to fading--most flooring materials are--but I don't think it's nearly as bad as hardwoood. Here's info on the hardwood discoloration: http://napervillehardwood.com/blog/s...rdwood-floors/

Or, if you wanna talk about luminaire flirting, we can do that, too. Dang autocorrect!
daycare 04:51 PM 03-31-2017
Originally Posted by Pestle:
Laminate flooring? It's still susceptible to fading--most flooring materials are--but I don't think it's nearly as bad as hardwoood. Here's info on the hardwood discoloration: http://napervillehardwood.com/blog/s...rdwood-floors/

Or, if you wanna talk about luminaire flirting, we can do that, too. Dang autocorrect!
Omg. I didn't even catch that. I was on my phone. Happens on my mac too.
Lol

Thanks so much for your sharing. I am going to keep that in mind for sure. There are a lot of windows in this house. One wall is all window.
Scary thought being in earthquake capital
Tags:flooring - wooden, floors, gates, stairs
Reply Up