Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Questions About Handbook/Policy Regarding Meals, Allergies..How Does This Sound???
Luvnmykidz 06:15 PM 02-27-2013
Hello. I am working on my handbook/policies and i was thinking that I woud put in therereally not sure how to word it, please help )
My home is a nut free home. Please do not send nut products with your child.
Due to the fact that my children have severe allergies to nuts I will be enforcing that these products not be brought into my home. Also please be sure to fill out the forms regarding food allergies and special diets. I will provide healthy meals and snacks for all chldren in my care. I WILL NOT only feed your child their favorite foods. I will offer meals/snacks at the scheduled times to every child, but I will not force your child to eat.If your child refuses a meal/snack, they will not be offered food again until the nest scheduled meal/snack. You will be informed if your child refuses meals/snacks. I will try my best to accomodate special diets and food allergies. If I feel that I am unable to accomodate special diets and/or food allergies, I will request that the parent/guardian bring the child(s) foods. I am also aware that some children are picky eaters and some parents may be more comfortable bringing meals from home. I do request that all meals from home follow the USDA Nutritional Guidelines. Please do not send your child to care with candy, gum, soda or things of that nature, as these are not the best things to feed a child and are empty calories.
Willow 06:33 PM 02-27-2013
If I were you I'd do an across the board "no outside food allowed period" policy.

The last couple of years my son has shared a classroom with a student who has severe nut allergies. I was straight SHOCKED at how many foods I never would have guessed had nuts, nut products, nut dust and what not in them. If the allergy is severe I would not depend on parents to check labels closely enough.

Due to severe nut allergies my home is a 100% nut free environment.

No outside food of any kind is allowed on the premises. This includes candy and gum.

I will provide all meals and snacks. They will be nutritious, complete and creative to encourage enthusiastic and healthy eating habits! (If you are or intend to participate in a food program mention that here). I encourage the children in my care to try new foods and clean their plates in a positive and force free manner. If your child is not hungry or refuses to eat they will need to wait until the next meal or snack to eat again. My meal schedule is:

Breakfast:
Morning Snack:
Lunch:
Afternoon Snack:
Dinner:

Please notify me of any food allergies your child has so we can discuss them and I can make any necessary accommodations.

butterfly 06:42 PM 02-27-2013
Originally Posted by Willow:
If I were you I'd do an across the board "no outside food allowed period" policy.

The last couple of years my son has shared a classroom with a student who has severe nut allergies. I was straight SHOCKED at how many foods I never would have guessed had nuts, nut products, nut dust and what not in them. If the allergy is severe I would not depend on parents to check labels closely enough.

Due to severe nut allergies my home is a 100% nut free environment.

No outside food of any kind is allowed on the premises. This includes candy and gum.

I will provide all meals and snacks. They will be nutritious, complete and creative to encourage enthusiastic and healthy eating habits! (If you are or intend to participate in a food program mention that here). I encourage the children in my care to try new foods and clean their plates in a positive and force free manner. If your child is not hungry or refuses to eat they will need to wait until the next meal or snack to eat again. My meal schedule is:

Breakfast:
Morning Snack:
Lunch:
Afternoon Snack:
Dinner:

Please notify me of any food allergies your child has so we can discuss them and I can make any necessary accommodations.

This is perfect! I would also (and do) not allow any outside food to be brought to daycare. You have an excellent excuse due to the nut allergy. I simply do it that way due to the whining it creates when Suzy gets a poptart and no one else does, etc. If a child comes in with food, it goes into the trash and the kids know it to.

If kids don't want to eat what I make, they wait until the next meal. I never make special. I have enough 'special' meals accomadating special diets due to allergies.
Luvnmykidz 07:02 PM 02-27-2013
Okay so Im still learning this whole forum thing and can't remember how to include your text/quote in the message..anyways
I thank you both for your responses. It sounds great and I will definately use it (word for word if you dont mind) . I wanted to say no outside foods allowed but wasnt sure how that works, or if i could legally say that. While my kids are my biggest concern, I was honestly scared to think of how big of a risk that is to trust a parent to read a label when most wont read a note sent home with their child(well this is how it was working in a center at least). I feel much better knowing that I can demand that and there will be now worries, no whining.
Willow 07:41 PM 02-27-2013
Originally Posted by Luvnmykidz:
Okay so Im still learning this whole forum thing and can't remember how to include your text/quote in the message..anyways
I thank you both for your responses. It sounds great and I will definately use it (word for word if you dont mind) . I wanted to say no outside foods allowed but wasnt sure how that works, or if i could legally say that. While my kids are my biggest concern, I was honestly scared to think of how big of a risk that is to trust a parent to read a label when most wont read a note sent home with their child(well this is how it was working in a center at least). I feel much better knowing that I can demand that and there will be now worries, no whining.
The parents worth your while won't mind following that rule a bit!

I have the same policy myself but on occasion parents do like to bring a treat for special occasions. As long as they check it with me first and make sure to bring enough for everyone I don't mind being a bit flexible with it

Welcome btw!
itlw8 06:10 AM 02-28-2013
I do not have any nut allergies here but we do have a few others so I posted a sign . I noticed parents do read it becausee they ask before bringing a birthday treat.

Even the kids are great.. Mommy I can't take strawberry cupcakes A is allergic and can't have one.

This week my dgd came home and said a boy in her room can't have red dye...
renodeb 06:38 AM 02-28-2013
I dont mean to be one of those providers that doesnt give there dc parents credit for being smart enough to check lables but I really would not trust dc parents to check labels. Way to big of a risk that something would get missed. If I were you, I would provide all the meals and snacks, list your meal schedule and go from there. On the food program all you have to do is offer it on there plates. I wouldnt even say that they are encouraged to finish there plates.
I had a next door neighboor who had a boy who was so allergic to nuts and anything with nut dust or any trace of nuts in it that when we came over to there house we had to go straight to the sink and wash our hands all the way up to our elbows. She invitied us over for a xmas party and she had made all the foods. They were delicous. And all nut free. SInce your the one with the nut allergy then you are the one with the knowledge about how to avoid nut pitfalls!
Debbie
Evansmom 06:47 AM 02-28-2013
We have allergies too and I don't provide food, the kids bring it packed from home. So I do have a no obvious nuts policy in my home. Clients can not pack anything like peanut butter sandwiches (Sunbutter is ok) or trail mixes or anything with actual nuts in it. I don't worry about them bringing any foods that we wouldn't eat because of cross contamination because we have a strict no food sharing policy. It works for us!
TheGoodLife 07:40 AM 02-28-2013
You have the word "nest" when your meant to have next- in the part about not feeding again until next meal. Everything else looks and sounds great!
Reply Up