Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Parent Involvement Board
Shylos13 12:15 PM 02-28-2017
I need help! I have been volentold that I am the interim president of our parent involvement board for our family childcare program ran by the Navy. I have no idea what to do. Have any of you been on a board? Any suggestions would be great! I thank you for your time.
Meeko 06:10 AM 03-01-2017
Umm..dissolve the board?!! Sorry...no help I know.

I am not a fan of "parent involvement" in that capacity. It tells parents that they have a say in how things are run and what rules are in place. "Suggestions" fast become "my way or a tantrum is incoming" with a lot of parents. No business can be properly run that way.

I keep parents informed. But the way I run my business is not up for discussion. I have a perfect score with licensing. That's all they need to know.
Leigh 06:46 AM 03-01-2017
Originally Posted by Meeko:
Umm..dissolve the board?!! Sorry...no help I know.

I am not a fan of "parent involvement" in that capacity. It tells parents that they have a say in how things are run and what rules are in place. "Suggestions" fast become "my way or a tantrum is incoming" with a lot of parents. No business can be properly run that way.

I keep parents informed. But the way I run my business is not up for discussion. I have a perfect score with licensing. That's all they need to know.

Honestly, were I in a position like that, I'd use it to encourage parents to get involved with their KIDS, not their daycare.
Meeko 01:55 PM 03-01-2017
Originally Posted by Leigh:

Honestly, were I in a position like that, I'd use it to encourage parents to get involved with their KIDS, not their daycare.
Amen. Any time spent involved at the daycare could be spent doing things with their little one at home. Kids spend too long at daycare as it is. Mom and Dad don't need to attend too!
TheMisplacedMidwestMom 06:07 PM 03-01-2017
I would assume if you were named interim president, then you've been to some of the board meetings. Interim suggests they are actively looking for someone to replace you permanently. I would just keep my head low (don't start any big new projects), run the meetings as they have been run in the past and address issues as they arrise. Usually the only thing expected of an "interim" anything is to hold down the fort. I wouldn't stress too much. And I'm positive there is someone on the board already that is just dying to tell you how to do things anyway.
DaveA 03:43 AM 03-02-2017
First thing I would do is nail down how long your "interim" is. If they need a little bit while they get a new president just hold down the fort and keep on doing what's been done. If this is long term or they want to remove "interim" from your title- RUN!!!! I'm not a fan of parent boards.
Shylos13 05:44 AM 03-18-2017
We had the meeting and one parent showed up. Unfortunately, we can not get rid of the board, because it is a Navy requirement for our program. Thank you for your thoughts!
CityGarden 09:09 AM 03-18-2017
Is the program this board is for a home daycare or a center? I have been on the board of a University Preschool so I can share insight in that capacity I cannot see the same applying in a home daycare setting though.
Tags:agenda, meetings, parent involvement
Reply Up