Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Potty Training Miracle
TwinMama 07:23 AM 03-20-2017
Yeh....so I have a dcb that's motivated by candy at home. He'll basically do anything for candy. Before he refused to go potty but he gets chocolate at home now if he does.

What is a professional way to say not happening here. I don't give food as rewards.
Blackcat31 07:46 AM 03-20-2017
Originally Posted by TwinMama:
Yeh....so I have a dcb that's motivated by candy at home. He'll basically do anything for candy. Before he refused to go potty but he gets chocolate at home now if he does.

What is a professional way to say not happening here. I don't give food as rewards.
"licensing does not allow me to use food as bribes, rewards or incentives for behavior."
Pestle 08:06 AM 03-20-2017
Ugh. Now he has a weapon--"Give me candy or I'll poop."

The best motivation for potty training is the kids' noticing that they don't like sitting in excrement! Don't complicate it with a reward system.
finsup 08:40 AM 03-20-2017
I would just tell dcm, "that's great! I don't keep candy in the house but I'll be happy to let you know if he's been successful here during the day if you want to reward him at home." Once and a while it's met with "oh I'll just bring a bag of candy for him..." Which I reply, "oh no, that's not nessacary, I don't allow outside food for any reason but thank you for offering" It helps in a way, it doesn't completely shut down what they're doing, but it keeps you out of it.
daycarediva 09:38 AM 03-20-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
"licensing does not allow me to use food as bribes, rewards or incentives for behavior."
It's actually in our regulations, so this. I WILL give stickers, on a potty chart, toward something to DO, eg. a pj day, movie day, playground trip, whatever.
TwinMama 11:07 AM 03-20-2017
Originally Posted by Pestle:
Ugh. Now he has a weapon--"Give me candy or I'll poop."

The best motivation for potty training is the kids' noticing that they don't like sitting in excrement! Don't complicate it with a reward system.
Yup!!! Thank you! He's in charge at his house, and this isn't going to help their cause. He even gets chocolate for eating his food at home.
Meeko 12:34 PM 03-21-2017
Originally Posted by TwinMama:
Yup!!! Thank you! He's in charge at his house, and this isn't going to help their cause. He even gets chocolate for eating his food at home.
My rules say no outside food unless it is commercially prepared, individually wrapped and there is enough for everyone.

So if Mom wants to bring enough chocolate for everyone to have plenty each time junior poops......

Note: Of course, chocolate isn't good for kids, so I would keep it in a closet.....in my bedroom........
TwinMama 05:11 AM 03-22-2017
Originally Posted by Meeko:
My rules say no outside food unless it is commercially prepared, individually wrapped and there is enough for everyone.

So if Mom wants to bring enough chocolate for everyone to have plenty each time junior poops......

Note: Of course, chocolate isn't good for kids, so I would keep it in a closet.....in my bedroom........

Pestle 10:23 AM 03-22-2017
"DCM, you know that most commercial brands of chocolate have an unmonitored, indiscriminate supply stream that includes the Ivory Coast, where slavery and forced child labor are common in the cocoa bean harvesting industry, right?

This is blood for poop, DCM. Blood for poop."
JackandJill 11:27 AM 03-22-2017
Originally Posted by Pestle:
"DCM, you know that most commercial brands of chocolate have an unmonitored, indiscriminate supply stream that includes the Ivory Coast, where slavery and forced child labor are common in the cocoa bean harvesting industry, right?

This is blood for poop, DCM. Blood for poop."

oh man!! But now I am going to feel really guilty at Easter!!
Reply Up