Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Filing W-2s
caring4kidsinSD 11:05 AM 01-17-2012
Last year I have a few employees(2 main ones and then a few high school kids who helped out while I was looking for another full time person)

I know w2s are due at the end of January but where do I start? I have always gone thru a tax service but it got way too spendy for just 1 employee so I started doing in myself.

Do I need to provide a w2 for the high school girls who helped out once or twice?

Where do I find the w2 forms for my employees?

Where and to who do I need to send them to(other than the employees)? I assume I need to 'file' it like I do unemployment taxes.

What other paperwork do I need to file to be done with last year? Do I need a 940, 944, others??
lilcupcakes09 12:20 PM 01-17-2012
Staples has the tax software with cd & paperwork to file w-2's/1099's. If you took out taxes for the "employees" they need a W-2, if you didn't take out taxes and they were just occasional sitters, they may be considered "casual labor", and would need a 1099 from you if you paid them over $600 for the year. The software is very easy to use, you just need to figure out if they are an employee or casual labor.....
Michael 01:16 PM 01-17-2012
Here are some more threads on W-2: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.php?tag=w-2

Also, our Tax Webinar with Tom Copeland would be very helpful to attend: https://www.daycare.com/forum/announcement.php?f=8
caring4kidsinSD 11:48 AM 01-19-2012
Unfortunately that seminar won't help me - I know the w2s are due to the appropriate people by Jan 31 and the seminar isn't until Feburary. My taxes are usually done by the Feburary
TomCopeland 02:29 PM 01-19-2012
Originally Posted by lilcupcakes09:
Staples has the tax software with cd & paperwork to file w-2's/1099's. If you took out taxes for the "employees" they need a W-2, if you didn't take out taxes and they were just occasional sitters, they may be considered "casual labor", and would need a 1099 from you if you paid them over $600 for the year. The software is very easy to use, you just need to figure out if they are an employee or casual labor.....
Not so. If someone works for you helping you care for children, they are an employee, not an independent contractor, regardless of whether you took out taxes or not, and regardless of whether you paid them more or less than $600.

The only time you would have casual labor is if the person did yard work or cleaning, not someone with the children. An independent contractor could be someone who is in the business of substitute care and works for other providers. Otherwise, the person who is with children is your employee.
TomCopeland 02:35 PM 01-19-2012
Originally Posted by caring4kidsinSD:
Last year I have a few employees(2 main ones and then a few high school kids who helped out while I was looking for another full time person)

I know w2s are due at the end of January but where do I start? I have always gone thru a tax service but it got way too spendy for just 1 employee so I started doing in myself.

Do I need to provide a w2 for the high school girls who helped out once or twice?

Where do I find the w2 forms for my employees?

Where and to who do I need to send them to(other than the employees)? I assume I need to 'file' it like I do unemployment taxes.

You need to treat all of these people as your employees. You should have withheld social security/medicare taxes, as well as federal and state income taxes. You should have filed the these federal taxes (along with your share of social security/medicare quarterly using Form 941. If you paid less than $4,000 in wages you can file the annual Form 944. Get the W-2 from www.irs.gov. The instructions to the form will tell you where to send it, besides your employees. Also get Form W-3 to file with the social security office.
I cover all the federal forms, with examples on how to fill them out in my 2011 Family Child Care Tax Workbook and Organizer.

What other paperwork do I need to file to be done with last year? Do I need a 940, 944, others??
Join me for my webinar, February 9th, 8:30pm Eastern Time, for my "2011 Family Child Care Tax Update: How to Reduce Your Taxes. For more information:http://events.r20.constantcontact.co...&llr=yatrx4cab
Tags:w-2
Reply Up