Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>DCK Told All The Other Kids That Easter Bunny Is Not Real!?
DaycareMom 12:30 PM 03-30-2015
so today dck5 decided to tell all the other kids that there is no Easter bunny. I kind of laughed it off and said that there was, but DCk was adamant that he knew EB wasn't real because his mommy told him so. I tried to explain that maybe the EB didn't come to their house because they don't celebrate Easter. He continued to argue with me and said that they did celebrate Easter. I changed the subject and Put them down for a nap.
I texted DCM and asked if she could talk to him and tell him not to tell that to the other kids as to not ruin it for them.
She texted back saying she didn't know what I wanted her to say and to just tell the other kids that they didn't celebrate Easter. I responded telling her I already tried that but her son told me I was wrong. She texted back
"Just change the subject..."

I didn't respond but is she serious?!

I haven't even mentioned it since it happened and they have each brought it up and asked me questions about it.

I'm so frustrated that she can't just tell her child to keep it to himself.

I feel really irritated by her nonchalant attitude about ii and her seemingly condescending text.

How would you handle this? Am I being overly sensitive?

I just want to keep the magic alive for as long as possible for my kids
finsup 12:49 PM 03-30-2015
Honestly, I would have just changed the subject too. Then if kids kept asking I'd just say some people believe in the easter bunny, some don't, what do you think? You could always go into more detail with your own kids when all the daycare ones leave
Tsadri 12:51 PM 03-30-2015
I was that kid. My poor mom got calls from teachers about how I told everyone that Santa, The Easter Bunny and The Tooth Fairy weren't really real. We would play the game, but I knew it was mom and dad really behind it. My mom told me that my friends weren't ready to stop pretending and some of the things I said could hurt their feelings. Personally, I'm really happy that my parents were always honest with me. I never got heartbroken by finding out the Easter Bunny wasn't real. It didn't make it any less magical for me. Perhaps you can take DCB aside and explain that his friends aren't ready to stop pretending. In fact, he can help them play the game and not hurt their feelings. Hope it works out for you.
daycare 12:53 PM 03-30-2015
Everyone has different beliefs, so i would not try to push the issue that there is one. I would just change the subject or even go as far as saying well everyone is entitled to believe what they want and move on.

The more you try to talk about it to make it right the more you are going to bring light to it.
DaycareMom 01:12 PM 03-30-2015
I am not upset that DCM chose to tell her kid about it, that is obviously her choice. But, she knows that my and all the other dcks do believe in the EB so I feel like she should have told her child what tsadri mentioned and to keep it to himself. They are not in school yet. All the kids I have are under 5. And as much as I tried to keep the focus off of the subject, it for whatever reason really stuck with all of them.

It just kind of irritates me that she is not willing to explain to her child that other kids want to pretend and not to ruin it for them.
Michael 01:26 PM 03-30-2015
We've had this same conversation on the forum about Santa Clause : https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.php?tag=santa+not
Meeko 01:44 PM 03-30-2015
I would tell the DCM that you completely respect their beliefs, but that she must teach her son to be sensitive to other people's beliefs too.

At this time of year, toddlers are wrapped up in the magic of the Easter Bunny. Daycares are doing Easter crafts and Easter art and Easter stories and have Easter Bunny decor etc etc.

She needs to understand that her child is spending his day with toddlers who's families may celebrate in a big way. Have parents who put a LOT of work, money and thought into making a magical time for their kids. DCM has no right to let her 5 year old spout off at the mouth and ARGUE with an adult.

He is old enough to know to keep quiet and not spoil it for others.

Mom saying "Change the subject" is rude. At this time of year, it is the ONLY subject for a lot of little ones!
sharlan 01:48 PM 03-30-2015
I wouldn't make a big issue of it. Drop it and move on. I would tell the child that different people believe different things and that's ok.

If another child asked me about the EB, I would ask that child if they believed in the EB back. There's your answer.

My response to my own children was "IF you don't believe, you don't receive." My 36 and 38 yo dds still believe in Santa, the EB, leprechauns
daycare 01:53 PM 03-30-2015
this...... I tell my kids the same thing....

I would let it go. I did not grow up here, but my family practiced westernized holiday traditions. Like Papa Noel..... I will never forget when I was about 3-4 years old, my cousin told me that Papa Noel was not real and that I was only going to get mush in a bag.
I asked my parents and they told me exactly what Sharlan said. If you don't believe then you won't receive.

If it's not DCK tellin them this, someone else will or can. I would pay not attention to it and just drop it.

I do think that was rude of DCM, but you have to respect their beliefs too.
Laurel 02:00 PM 03-30-2015
Originally Posted by DaycareMom:
so today dck5 decided to tell all the other kids that there is no Easter bunny. I kind of laughed it off and said that there was, but DCk was adamant that he knew EB wasn't real because his mommy told him so. I tried to explain that maybe the EB didn't come to their house because they don't celebrate Easter. He continued to argue with me and said that they did celebrate Easter. I changed the subject and Put them down for a nap.
I texted DCM and asked if she could talk to him and tell him not to tell that to the other kids as to not ruin it for them.
She texted back saying she didn't know what I wanted her to say and to just tell the other kids that they didn't celebrate Easter. I responded telling her I already tried that but her son told me I was wrong. She texted back
"Just change the subject..."

I didn't respond but is she serious?!

I haven't even mentioned it since it happened and they have each brought it up and asked me questions about it.

I'm so frustrated that she can't just tell her child to keep it to himself.

I feel really irritated by her nonchalant attitude about ii and her seemingly condescending text.

How would you handle this? Am I being overly sensitive?

I just want to keep the magic alive for as long as possible for my kids
If mom won't cooperate just tell DCB that the other children are still young and do believe so don't bring the topic up again at your house.

Or you could tell mom what you want her to tell him (the above). "Mom please tell him not to bring it up again at my house because the younger ones still believe. Thanks."

Laurel
Second Home 02:16 PM 03-30-2015
In this type of situation I tell the kids that santa ,easter bunny , tooth fairy etc.. are real for those who believe in him. If he dosn't believe that is fine but he is real for those who do believe.
Unregistered 04:56 PM 03-30-2015
It would make me want to whisper to dck that Mommy is a big liar and she made the easter bunny mad so he won't come to his house anymore but he will come to all his friends houses.

But in reality I would tell the kids that some familes believe and some don't and just ignore and re-direct.
Crazy8 05:20 PM 03-30-2015
I would drop it at this point if you don't want a fight with DCM about it. I am fine with families telling their kids the truth but I do think its pretty rude to not explain to your child that other children believe in these things and to not ruin it for them.

My own kids are beyond the age of believing and they were NEVER heartbroken over finding out "the truth". They all just got old enough to figure it out and there was always those in between years where they knew the truth but were too afraid to say so for fear of the "if you don't believe you don't receive" theory, LOL! When I knew they knew the truth I just made the reminder that their siblings still believed and not to ruin it for them. They are all fine, none of them are scarred for life because they believed in the EB/Santa for the first 8-9 years of their lives!
Shell 06:19 PM 03-30-2015
Originally Posted by Meeko:
I would tell the DCM that you completely respect their beliefs, but that she must teach her son to be sensitive to other people's beliefs too.

At this time of year, toddlers are wrapped up in the magic of the Easter Bunny. Daycares are doing Easter crafts and Easter art and Easter stories and have Easter Bunny decor etc etc.

She needs to understand that her child is spending his day with toddlers who's families may celebrate in a big way. Have parents who put a LOT of work, money and thought into making a magical time for their kids. DCM has no right to let her 5 year old spout off at the mouth and ARGUE with an adult.

He is old enough to know to keep quiet and not spoil it for others.

Mom saying "Change the subject" is rude. At this time of year, it is the ONLY subject for a lot of little ones!

KIDZRMYBIZ 09:31 AM 03-31-2015
That DCM is probably embarrassed that her kid was spilling the beans, and was coming off defensive. It would be my guess your 5yo DCB has older siblings.

Around my little part of the world, all those fun, fantastical things are a very big deal! I've never had a DCF that didn't have fun with it, or wouldn't be mad if someone, especially a peer, told their child any of it wasn't real, and so adamantly at that.

If I were in your shoes, I would text or e-mail back that your other clients most definitely would not appreciate her son's comments, and THAT is my agenda. And that I am certainly capable of handling the situation as it is occurring in my care, but that I do expect them to have a conversation with their son to teach him that it is not ever appropriate to force views/beliefs off on other people. IMO, discrediting the EB is no different than vehemently preaching that Jesus was or was not risen on Easter. They need to teach their child societal norms and polite conversation. They can leave their politics at home.
Thriftylady 03:34 PM 03-31-2015
I might approach him the way I did my own kids. My son was 7 years older than my daughter, he knew the truth and I told him not to ruin it for his sister. That the truth is the truth, but that the his sister and some friends at school still have fun believing in the Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy, and Santa. I told both of my kids when they knew the truth that if I found them ruining it for others, I was going to be very angry at them, because it isn't nice to steal someone's fun. We also have in my house (and maybe you can at daycare depending you you do things), "you have to believe to receive". We still do stockings for everyone even adults, but they are practical in your house you get socks, underwear maybe a little something fun, Easter baskets also, but if you keep saying you don't believe or it isn't real, you don't get one. We do this in our home because we believe that Santa is real. No he isn't a man who rides in a sleigh every year, but there is the "spirit" of Santa. Every year, people give to those who wouldn't eat otherwise, or give a gift for a child who would have none, those people are all Santa in spirit.
Tags:easter
Reply Up