Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Pink Eye Question
DCMomOf3 10:19 AM 01-11-2011
My DCG3 is home with pink eye today. DCM said nothing about discharge, just pink looking eyes when she took her in yesterday. She is on antibiotic drops and will have been on them for 36 hours by tomorrow morning. My question is, after the first 24 hours would any discarge still be contagious? I'm going to call to check up on her tonight, but wanted to have ready my answer if she does have discharge.
Michael 02:25 PM 01-11-2011
Start disinfecting!

How long is pink eye contagious?
Pink eye is contagious whilever there is tearing, a discharge or matting of the eyelids, especially during sleep. The discharge indicates that bacteria or virus are still present. Once the discharge symptoms have stopped, the sufferer is no longer contagious and may return to school or work again as appropriate. Pink eye usually remains contagious from 3 to 7 days.
Unregistered 02:37 PM 01-11-2011
Originally Posted by Michael:
Start disinfecting!

How long is pink eye contagious?
Pink eye is contagious whilever there is tearing, a discharge or matting of the eyelids, especially during sleep. The discharge indicates that bacteria or virus are still present. Once the discharge symptoms have stopped, the sufferer is no longer contagious and may return to school or work again as appropriate. Pink eye usually remains contagious from 3 to 7 days.
While what Michael said it is true it did forget to mention that after 48 hours on antiboitic eye drops the child is no longer contagious and can return to daycare or school
DCMomOf3 02:46 PM 01-11-2011
Thanks. I haven't had her since Thursday so I think we are ok for contamination, altough I've been disinfecting anyway. I just don't want to worry about drainage - this little girl is bad at touching her face.
Tags:pink eye
Reply Up