Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do You Have Any Parents That Pay In Cash?
littlemommy 06:03 AM 10-27-2011
I have one family that pays in cash. The parents are divorced, and both pay half-in cash. This week the total for each parent was $84 and some odd cents. DCM pays rounded up to the next dollar. DCD paid $90.

I feel like I should be crediting him the over-pay for next week, but I know next week he will pay over too. He doesn't use a checkbook, and for me to keep track of all the over/under pay is a lot of book work!

What would you do?
awestbrook713 06:08 AM 10-27-2011
I have the exact same situation, except mom tends to under pay so it seems to work out. Technically it is income and you should still be recording it.
Cat Herder 06:17 AM 10-27-2011
I only accept cash or online payments.

I would give him change, a receipt and/or end of year statement.

IME, When dealing in cash payments, it is best to keep a till, just like any other business.
TSDaycare 06:20 AM 10-27-2011
5 of my 6 parents pay cash, but the rate is an even number so I usually get it in $20 dollar bills. I also have divorced parents who both pay each month, they however pay every other week- so it equals out that they each pay the same amount each month. MAybe talk with the parents and discuss doing it this way, it works out the same for them so it shouldnt be an issue. Just let them know splitting it up every week in addition to everything else we must keep track of is just too much....
meganlavonnesmommy 08:20 AM 10-27-2011
I would just change their fee, so its an even number for both of them.
It seems that your fee is $168, each parent pays $84. I would change your fee to $170, so each parent pays $85, or $180 so each parent pays $90.
Blackcat31 08:25 AM 10-27-2011
I will accept cash, checks, money orders and online transfers but I do not require one method of payment over another.

I have one parent who pays me in cash and it is always rounded up. I HATE having to keep track of the overage and feel it is not my job to do so. I RARELY carry cash and I don't keep a petty cash fund so I don't feel it is my responsibility to make change or keep track of the overage.

This particular parent pays the same rate each week and it rarely, if ever, changes so I feel it is her job to bring me the correct amount in the first place or find an alternate form of payment.
mac60 08:33 AM 10-27-2011
I very rarely have anyone pay cash. I did go to cash only for one family years ago because of bad checks....the first week she comes in and ask me "Do you have change for.....NOPE. No change here. You went to the bank to get the cash smarten up and ask for the right bills. UGG. I don't do change.
Cat Herder 08:37 AM 10-27-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
This particular parent pays the same rate each week and it rarely, if ever, changes so I feel it is her job to bring me the correct amount in the first place or find an alternate form of payment.
I absolutely agree with you. I just picked a new battle.

That is why I put "IME" instead of "IMHO".

I had to give it up as some tried to argue their end of year statements and caused way too much holiday stress for my family (I give out statements/updates, etc. just before the holiday break for Jan).

Keeping $20 in ones and fives solves the issue for me ($105).
sharlan 08:40 AM 10-27-2011
I take either cash or check. I do have one family that splits the payments between the parent and grandparent. Parent always pays cash, grandparent either. The both come with the exact amount, though.
Blackcat31 08:41 AM 10-27-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
I absolutely agree with you. I just picked a new battle.

That is why I put "IME" instead of "IMHO".

I had to give it up as some tried to argue their end of year statements and caused way too much holiday stress for my family (I give out statements/updates, etc. just before the holiday break for Jan).

Keeping $20 in ones and fives solves the issue for me ($105).
LOL!! I'd probably be a lot more understanding if this mom wasn't already he77 bent on being co-dependent about EVERYTHING else already as it is......

This line of thinking should go with the post you made about long time parents that are continually trying to push their boundaries..... That is exactly why I am so non-supportive with this mom about making change.
small_steps 09:03 AM 10-27-2011
You could always say "Any money paid over the exact fee amount will be considered a tip" ha ha ha. I probably wouldn't ever do that but it would be funny to see some of my parent's faces if I did lol
I actually do have one parent who over paid me $10 one week and said thanks for all you do. She also bought a new outside toy another week as a thank you. Love parents like that.
Nellie 09:15 AM 10-27-2011
All my families besides 2 in the last 5 years have paid in cash. Families that the total is the same week to week bring exact change most of the time. They all seem to hit the ATM after work so they come with 20's. I am a cash user myself. So I save my ones and fives through out the week and save them for Friday's change. I'd rather do the change than credit the bills for the next week, but if I don't have enough change all my parents are happy with a credit. On the reciept I write credit of X amount. I actually start the next weeks reciept and add the credit in there so I don't forget. I guess I'm just happy that they are paying. I don't need to worry about bounced checks, waiting so many days for them to clear before I have access to the money, ect. If you don't want to do change or crediting bills tell them they need figure out different way to pay or let them know what there total is the day before or have them call on there way home from work so they can stop and get the change themselves.
wdmmom 09:46 AM 10-27-2011
I have a receipt book that I write all payments in. If they are overpaying, you should be rolling any overpayment into the next week. Once they have a credit, either return it or tell them that payment this week is less than normal or wait until the credit is significant enough so they have a full week built up and paid for.
MarinaVanessa 09:47 AM 10-27-2011
Get a receipt book and give each parent their own receipts or keep track of their payments in a notebook. Keep track of each parent's overage or under payments and then when it gets to $10 of overage or whatever you can tell him that he only owes you $74 this week or whaever.
mismatchedsocks 10:31 AM 10-27-2011
I keep track on microsoft money. If it ended up being alot over at the end of the year, you can say each week you over paid by X amount of cents. Would you like that credited for your first week of new year or donate to get some new books for the daycare?

GretasLittleFriends 11:29 AM 10-27-2011
I have parents that pay cash, and if they overpay, I just put it towards their next week. The majority of my kids aren't here m-f 730-530. Their times/days change because their parents' schedules change. As of right now, I only have one who I can almost guarantee his schedule. So with the ever changing schedule means that their payments due change as well.
Crazy8 11:38 AM 10-27-2011
I have 2 that pay in cash - they both just started this fall, for years EVERYONE paid me by check and I actually prefer it. I tend to spend the cash before it hits the bank.

Anyway, first 2 weeks dcd came in without the exact change - I never have cash on me so was dealing with crediting him for next week, etc. I don't want to have to deal with that - so put a note out to all families that they can pay via check, cash or credit card but that cash payments must be EXACT CHANGE only or anything over would be considered a tip, LOL!
Meyou 03:06 PM 10-28-2011
I only accept cash or online payments as well.

It's in my handbook that I don't provide change. I've never had an overpayment or an underpayment since I added it to my handbook.
Tags:cash only, cash payment, pay in cash, payment options
Reply Up