Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Help
Unregistered 05:19 PM 10-23-2016
I have a mom that is being abused by her husband
the kids are fine
what would you do?
she is scared
daycare 06:31 PM 10-23-2016
No kid is fine when they are subjected to an abusive environment. You need to call CPS and report it ASAP. Hopefully they will help he mother too.
Mike 06:33 PM 10-23-2016
It depends on what the mother wants to do. If you report him to the police and she is afraid of him and not ready to do anything about it, she may say it's not true and say whatever she needs to say to keep him from being charged for fear. Whether he gets arrested or not, he will probably get angry and take it out on her the first chance he gets.

If she's ready to do something about it, she's going to need a friend to help her through it. How involved do you want to get? Go with her to the police station, preferably when the kids aren't home if possible, and have her tell her story. They will know best how to handle it, and if she's ready to stand her ground and put an end to the abuse, the police should be arresting him and even if he is released later, he should be prohibited from going near her.

If she's not ready to do something about it, it'll most likely be for fear of what will happen if she does. Tell her it may be tough, but it will be just as tough, or even tougher, to wait for another year or 2, and in the meantime, the abuse will not stop, and could get even worse.

If she doesn't want to go that far, the police, she could confront him about it and see if he's willing to get help, but ONLY if she thinks there's some chance that he does want help. Otherwise, confronting him will just make it worse.

If she wants to talk to someone who can help her with choices after getting some information, search for abuse help and her city, state or country. There are good help lines out there that can assist her with putting an end to it as safely as possible.
Silly Songs 07:39 PM 10-23-2016
Give her info for abuse hotlines and local agencies. Those people can guide her through it.
Silly Songs 07:40 PM 10-23-2016
Did the mom confide in you, or do you see bruises ? I'm wondering what makes you say she is being abused.
Leigh 05:31 AM 10-24-2016
Originally Posted by daycare:
No kid is fine when they are subjected to an abusive environment. You need to call CPS and report it ASAP. Hopefully they will help he mother too.
I agree. If the kids are exposed to their mother's abuse, they need to get involved...it's a huge trauma to children that they don't deserve.
Cat Herder 07:14 AM 10-24-2016
http://www.thehotline.org/ - Website

October is Domestic Violence Awareness Month.

Free printable materials:

http://www.thehotline.org/wp-content...glish-card.pdf
Unregistered 09:48 AM 10-24-2016
I have seen bruises, they missed a couple days of school with no explanation and today the kids are talking, so I will proceed with the referral
thank you for the help
Tags:domestic violence, family engagement
Reply Up