Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Incident Reports
ddnanny13 12:58 PM 11-16-2010
So I have a 3 yr old dcg who is fairly violent. Today she threw a toy at a 3 month old and cut my 2 year old sons hand because she ripped a book away from him so hard and fast that it sliced him. She was also pushing and hitting as well. She had for time outs before 10am. She was told one more issue and she would spend the rest of the day alone as she could obviously not play nicely. Anyway, I want to give her mom a notice stating that one more issue, especially one of violence and care will be terminated. I know often times incident reports are filled out for the injury but what about the behavior? Do you all document that as well? And do you have a form for it and do you keep it only for your records or do you give a copy to them as well? Also wondering what exactly I should say in my notice. Any advice?
marniewon 01:08 PM 11-16-2010
Have you spoken to dcm about dcg's violent behavior before this? If not, your notice will come as quite a shock to her! If you have, then she's aware of the problem already, so I would just tell her that <this> happened today, and for the safety of all the other children, you cannot tolerate any more. If this type of behavior happens again you will have no other choice but to terminate.
ddnanny13 01:13 PM 11-16-2010
Yes I have spoken to her at least a dozen times about it. Mom says she is having a hard time at home but wont specify what it is. Mom actually texted me one day and said she "didn't want to lose me" so she knows it's getting to that point. I'm just curious about the documentation of it....
marniewon 01:16 PM 11-16-2010
I don't document anything behavior wise, but it really wouldn't be a bad idea, especially if you had one you were having problems with. I usually just tell the parents at pick-up if we had any issues that i thought they needed to know about.
Abigail 11:50 PM 11-16-2010
Good questions! I was wondering the same thing. We DO document poor behavior because it is grounds for termination after so-many incidents and it's so much easier to look back at reasons why you needed to terminate. I always remember the Good and some Bad, but even if it was more Bad than Good, after awhile I tend to only think of the Good. Sorry if that didn't make sense. LOL.

I wouldn't want to put up with that behavior. It's good that you've spoken with her mom many times, but I would create an "Incident Form" and hand write what happened with who and what time and what the plan of action was. Have the parent sign it EVERY DAY it happens. I'm sure you'll find that soon enough you have quite a few and the day will come when you say they've reached the limit.

I would create your own sheet with questions and fill in the blanks. If you have not seen a basic "Incident Report Form" you could use this as your guidelines, but I would definitely tailor something to your needs. I personally don't care for these, but for injuries it would work great. We mainly have to fill these out for biting incidents, but so much clutter is on the page if you ask me. http://www.ndchildcare.org/providers...orm%20CFOC.pdf

Let me know if you do want to create a general form, I will help you.
QualiTcare 12:46 AM 11-17-2010
if she hurt another child, it should be documented. i know it was your child that was hurt, but if it wasn't your child then you would've filled out a report, and the parent of the child who caused the injury should get one also.

you can have two different reports: an incident report and an accident report. if a child falls and scrapes their knee, they'd get an accident report. if a child bites another child, the child who did the biting would get an incident report and the child who was bitten would get an incident report. there's a big difference between incident and accident reports. if a child is biting or doing anything to hurt other children, the parents need to know. plus, you have it documented if you do end up terminating.
QualiTcare 12:48 AM 11-17-2010
Originally Posted by QualiTcare:
if she hurt another child, it should be documented. i know it was your child that was hurt, but if it wasn't your child then you would've filled out a report, and the parent of the child who caused the injury should get one also.

you can have two different reports: an incident report and an accident report. if a child falls and scrapes their knee, they'd get an accident report. if a child bites another child, the child who did the biting would get an incident report and the child who was bitten would get an incident report. there's a big difference between incident and accident reports. if a child is biting or doing anything to hurt other children, the parents need to know. plus, you have it documented if you do end up terminating.
i was glad that my son's old daycare filled out incident reports when he got bit because when i confronted the director about possibly pulling him out - i asked her to get his file and the huge stack of reports said it all.
missnikki 08:12 AM 11-17-2010
Here's mine, it works for everything. I keep it in my file. It has a spot for everyone's name that was involved, so I make copies for each file. I will only give a copy to a parent if their child was injured.

Program Name

INCIDENT REPORT

DATE___/____/___ TIME _________ CHILD’S NAME______________________
WITNESSES OR OTHERS INVOLVED_______________________________
TYPE OF INCIDENT:
_____INJURY
_____BEHAVIOR
_____OTHER:____________________________________________________
SUMMARY OF INCIDENT:

STAFF
PRINT NAME____________________________SIGNATURE________________________
Tags:incident report, incident report form, incident reports, injury