Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Trouble with Parents Taking Their Shoes Off?
momma2girls 11:14 AM 11-20-2009
To start this off- Does anyone have trouble having parents just walk right in and think nothing of taking their shoes off . I have a rug, and ceramic tile in the foyer area. We also have a brand new house. I don't care, even if we had a 50 yr. old house, to me it is common courtesy before you walk onto the carpet, to take your shoes, boots, whatever off!!
Do you say something?
It really makes me mad, we definately do not walk on the carpet with our shoes on in our own house.
Just wondering how to go about it, I would feel kind of dumb saying it everytime she does it, but I guess.
Otherwise I thought about placing it in my contract as well.
Unregistered 11:45 AM 11-20-2009
We also have a "no shoes" policy at my house and the parents know that the kids have to take their shoes off, but same thing, a couple of my parents insist on walking on my new carpet too with their shoes on, and in the summer although I still didn't like it now it's raining out and I don't want mud tracked in here, I make sure I say to the child while the parent is here "lets take our shoes off before going on the carpet, its wet outside so our shoes are really yucky" something like that, I also posted a sign that says "Please remove shoes before going on carpet" it has helped and no one has done it since then.
AmandasFCC 11:50 AM 11-20-2009
Yes I have that problem, and if they start coming down my stairs with shoes on I say "You're welcome to take your shoes off and come visit". Otherwise they stay upstairs while I get their child ready to go. That usually works. I had one who got his son's shoes on while his coat was still hanging downstairs (my doorway is very small so we only store shoes up there and the rest comes down where there is room to move around)... He's like, "go get your coat", and I'm like, "No, you have shoes on, I'll go get your coat, and next time, do that first." Never had that problem again either
Chickenhauler 03:16 PM 11-24-2009
We have a strict no shoes policy in our home....I don't like stepping in dirt, mud, snow, wet spots, etc.

If someone comes past the entry room with shoes on, I deal with them the same way as the kids-the rules are NO SHOES.
mac60 02:59 AM 11-25-2009
Most of my parents are good about it, but I do have the occassional. And that is right, it doesn't matter if it is new or old carpet, should all be respected. We don't have much of an entry way at our front door. But, I have a 5 x 7 area rug right inside, which gives plenty of room to take coats and shoes off. Rarely does anyone walk beyond it with shoes. I have had issues this week though with a dad dropping off and picking up, and he has dried mudd and wet mudd on his shoes, swept that rug 2 times in 1 day, drop off and pickup because there was chunks of mud, and then he ground in wet mudd. ggrrrrr. Frustrating. yes, that is why I put the area rug there, but, please don't wear shoes in that are muddy regardless. rude. He works for a lawn service, but, still, no excuese. Put those shoes on when you get to work.

I have put a sign on my front door before, and if it was mentioned, I just said it was a reminder for my son. lol. I often wonder, if they do this in My house, what do they do in theirs?

I like your idea of putting something in a take home letter to remind parents with winter coming on, to please take a moment to slip your shoes off if you go beyond the entrance way.
Tags:barefeet, barefoot, shoes
Reply Up