Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Where do these parents come from??
MsKara 11:51 AM 04-28-2010
So I have a new dk who's parents are already driving me nuts. The first day, they called after 9pm to say he wasn't coming and switched his day to another day of the week (he is here 3 days per week). The second day the father brings him and says he'll be picking him up around 4:30. Instead the mother calls me in the middle of nap time to see if she can get him early, and the phone wakes all my kids. The third day he doesn't show up until 10 am when he is supposed to arrive here at 7:30. I had no idea whether or not he was coming and they never called to say he was going to be late. The fourth day is the kicker. They called me this morning to tell me that he was running a fever LAST NIGHT, and that he wasn't coming. They called me 10 minutes after he was already supposed to be here. The thing that makes me mad is that if they knew LAST night he was running a fever, why didn't he call me LAST night since he knows my 24 hour policy. The only thing I can figure is that they were hoping he wouldn't have a fever this morning so they could sneak him in here and not tell me about it. But instead he probably woke up with a fever. UGH.

I need to have a serious talk with this couple. However, I'm not sure how to approach it. I really like their little boy and kids aren't easy to come by in this town right now. Business is slow. Unfortunately I have an assistant that I keep scheduling anytime there are supposed to be 4 or more kids in care. But with these last minute changes, I'm not able to reschedule my assistant and so i'm wasting money having her here when I don't need her. Any suggestions??
momma2girls 11:54 AM 04-28-2010
Originally Posted by MsKara:
So I have a new dk who's parents are already driving me nuts. The first day, they called after 9pm to say he wasn't coming and switched his day to another day of the week (he is here 3 days per week). The second day the father brings him and says he'll be picking him up around 4:30. Instead the mother calls me in the middle of nap time to see if she can get him early, and the phone wakes all my kids. The third day he doesn't show up until 10 am when he is supposed to arrive here at 7:30. I had no idea whether or not he was coming and they never called to say he was going to be late. The fourth day is the kicker. They called me this morning to tell me that he was running a fever LAST NIGHT, and that he wasn't coming. They called me 10 minutes after he was already supposed to be here. The thing that makes me mad is that if they knew LAST night he was running a fever, why didn't he call me LAST night since he knows my 24 hour policy. The only thing I can figure is that they were hoping he wouldn't have a fever this morning so they could sneak him in here and not tell me about it. But instead he probably woke up with a fever. UGH.

I need to have a serious talk with this couple. However, I'm not sure how to approach it. I really like their little boy and kids aren't easy to come by in this town right now. Business is slow. Unfortunately I have an assistant that I keep scheduling anytime there are supposed to be 4 or more kids in care. But with these last minute changes, I'm not able to reschedule my assistant and so i'm wasting money having her here when I don't need her. Any suggestions??
Set out a contract for them to sign with the days they will need care and the hrs. per day. Have them sign it and abide by those set days and times.
jen 11:55 AM 04-28-2010
For the sick thing...did they say what time he had this fever? Maybe they felt that it was too late to call. If he was up and crabby, they may have known he wouldn't be going anywhere today and slept in, explaining the late morning call...

As for the assistant...explain that you need to have a schedule in order to staff according and therefore if they switch days with less than 24 hours notice you will need to charge them for the day that they were supposed to attend as well as for the day that they actually attend. (unless of course, there is an illness...you can't predict that one!)
MsKara 12:57 PM 04-28-2010
That is a good point about the sick call, and maybe it was really late, but he could have called me on his way to work, instead of AFTER the child was supposed to be in care.

I do have a contract. I kept it flexible on the days, just stating they needed to give me advanced notice of the days they plan to bring him each week. He has a two day minimum that I get paid for no matter what. However, I guess I should have better defined advanced notice? The hours are between 7:30 and 5:30, however if they show up late, do I have a right to complain? They should at least call me right? Or can they just show up anytime they'd like in that 10 hour period. Either way, it frustrates me as I can't plan anything. The dad said he will usually have him here by 7:45 at the latest each morning.
missnikki 06:55 AM 04-29-2010
I would just set up an 'amendment' to the contract that states your office hours, and that any arrangements must be made ___ far in advance. If no contact has been made by ___o'clock, the spot will be forfeited (with or without paying- you choose) I would bring it up to the parents by mentioning the staff issue, and explain that since you have identified the problem, you came up with a solution. Then they sign it.
Unregistered 08:00 AM 04-29-2010
Make them have a set schedule and tell them that if they are not there within 5 minutes of their scheduled drop off time or at least call within that time stating they will be late they will forfiet that spot for the day but will have to pay still! You are not at their beck and call and you should be able to plan for your day without wondering who and when someone will be there, id also reafirm your sick policy and let them know that if you suspect the child was ill before coming to drop off and it was hid from you that they will be terminated immidiately with the two week fee owed now, thats how i do it and i make them pay the two week term fee IF i have to term due to them not following the rules they agreed and signed to.
Kiddiecare
MarinaVanessa 09:36 AM 04-29-2010
You could also do what I do and turn the ringer off during nap times and after closing hours until you are open in the morning. Just tell your families that you won't be answering your phone during those times but they can leave a message, then just check your messages before you open in the morning and right after nap times. I've noticed that no matter how many times you tell your families not to call/pick up/drop off during nap times there will always be someone that "forgets" so I just turn the ringer off and added that to my policies. And this way families can call as late as they want to the night before if their child is sick or won't be going for whatever reason. That way there aren't any excuses about it being too late to call.

Also amend your contract/policies to say that they cannot drop off or pick up during nap times.

A sit-down is probably necessary and go over all of this with them. I agree that families will always do what is in their best interest and may need to be reminded that this is a service that you offer that comes with responibilities and policies to follow on their part. You should clearly tell them (and amend your contract/policies if you havn't added it already) that the kids schedule needs to be made in advance when mom gets her schedule and cannot be changed.
Reply Up