Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Menus, Breakfast, Lunch and Snack Ideas>Wasting Breakfast/Lunch, but wants snack
Unregistered 04:38 AM 06-16-2014
Do any of you not give snack because breakfast or lunch wasn't eaten? I have a dcg that won't eat the meals, but wants snacks. I hate taking snacks away, but I'm throwing away a lot of food.
nothingwithoutjoy 04:51 AM 06-16-2014
That makes me batty. But no, I don't withhold snack. I dish up teeny tiny amounts at meals to the kids who tend to waste (we do family style, so there's more on the table for them to help themselves if they want more) so not as much gets thrown away. And I try to make my snacks as healthful as my meals, so I'm not worried that they aren't eating anything good. When they're throwing away lunch, snack becomes all veggies.
BumbleBee 05:02 AM 06-16-2014
I make my snacks:

1. Small

2. No carb/low carb

I find that kids who toss breakfast/lunch usually want to chow down on crackers/fruit at snack time. For this reason I don't do crackers at snack times. Generally I do a protein and a veggie if I can.

I don't know if that helps but it's what works for me. I know the frustration-I have a school ager like that
NightOwl 05:43 AM 06-16-2014
My regulations say we can't withhold food as punishment, and this would be considered punishment. Are you on the food program? They also require 2 meals/1 snack. But I like the veggie idea! We are required to serve a grain though at snack time. So maybe some multi grain toast and veggies?
BumbleBee 05:51 AM 06-16-2014
Originally Posted by Wednesday:
My regulations say we can't withhold food as punishment, and this would be considered punishment. Are you on the food program? They also require 2 meals/1 snack. But I like the veggie idea! We are required to serve a grain though at snack time. So maybe some multi grain toast and veggies?
I'm on the FP and though it's a government program it's not the same everywhere. Here you can do 2 snacks/1 meal OR 2 meals/1 snack. Also, here we are not required to serve a grain with snack.
Heidi 06:10 AM 06-16-2014
Same as above....yes, serve snacks, but make them protein and vegies, if possible. If you must serve a grain, then go with whole grain toast or crackers, and only serve the minimum of that. Anyone who is "still hungry" can have more veggies.

Someone just posted some fun "dip" ideas here, which may make the vegies more fun.
Meyou 06:30 AM 06-16-2014
I offer fresh veggies to anyone that doesn't eat a meal. If they're hungry they'll eat.
Blackcat31 06:37 AM 06-16-2014
Originally Posted by Trummynme:
I'm on the FP and though it's a government program it's not the same everywhere. Here you can do 2 snacks/1 meal OR 2 meals/1 snack. Also, here we are not required to serve a grain with snack.
Same here.

The interpretation of the rules from agency to agency is definitely different but I don't think the meal patterns change though. I think that is the same across the country.

It seems it's the serving and other claiming aspects that vary from place to place.

The food program says snack is 2 of 4 food components so veggies and milk are perfectly acceptable.

I would never withhold food from a child for not eating lunch but I would definitely change my snacks up to serving veggies only so that the child doesn't simply hold out for snacks to curb their hunger.
Play Care 06:40 AM 06-16-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Same here.

The interpretation of the rules from agency to agency is definitely different but I don't think the meal patterns change though. I think that is the same across the country.

It seems it's the serving and other claiming aspects that vary from place to place.

The food program says snack is 2 of 4 food components so veggies and milk are perfectly acceptable.

I would never withhold food from a child for not eating lunch but I would definitely change my snacks up to serving veggies only so that the child doesn't simply hold out for snacks to curb their hunger.

NightOwl 07:49 AM 06-16-2014
It's funny how much it varies. I have a dcg5 and dcg2 like this. They eat NOTHING all day and are suddenly starving at snack time. I've gotta come up with different options for them.
bklsmum 07:55 AM 06-16-2014
I do not withhold either of our regular snacks but they do not get desert if they do not eat their lunch and they do not get the 'fun' later afternoon snack that day if they do not eat their healthy snacks and breakfast and lunch.
TwinKristi 10:11 AM 06-16-2014
Depending on what they have for breakfast I may put a lid on it and save it for snack. Like pancakes and orange slices or waffles and apples, etc. obviously not oatmeal, cold cereal, etc.
But yeah this is an annoyance of mine. I have had a few older kids (3-4) who do this and it's annoying. I remind them when they don't eat their breakfast that it's a long time until we have lunch (we don't usually have a mid morning snack since it's only 3.5 hrs between breakfast and lunch) and their tummy will be hungry before it's time to eat. Sometimes it helps, sometimes not. Offering to save their breakfast for snack also seems to cut down on wanting a snack. "I have the rest of your breakfast that you didn't finish" doesn't sound as yummy as fruit or some other snacky food.
nannyde 11:08 AM 06-16-2014
Just do meat and green veg for snacks.
Reply Up