Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Opening In January A Good Idea?
Tiah 02:05 AM 08-03-2017
Hi everyone!
I am looking for advice on opening the doors to my home daycare in January. This will be the earliest I want to open post baby and really hope it works out well. Has anyone had any issues opening your daycare in January compared to say August (when many centers around here do open enrollment)?
amberrose3dg 03:28 AM 08-03-2017
Are you a family daycare? I opened mine in January 2015 and was only slow for about a month. I was 100% full within 6 weeks. Most of my new clients were unhappy with their current providers.
Snowmom 06:49 AM 08-03-2017
It should be fine.

It depends on your area of course, but there are typical times people look for care:
1. The new year- start advertising as "opening soon" as early as November for a January opening.
2. Summer care- calls usually start around May.
3. Fall/School- calls usually start late July.
CalCare 06:54 AM 08-03-2017
Originally Posted by Snowmom:
It should be fine.

It depends on your area of course, but there are typical times people look for care:
1. The new year- start advertising as "opening soon" as early as November for a January opening.
2. Summer care- calls usually start around May.
3. Fall/School- calls usually start late July.
legally, in CA, we aren't actually allowed to advertise without our license number IN the ad. So there is no such thing as "opening soon" ... I mean, unless you already have your license. If no license, no number, then no ad! You can advertise through word of mouth and you could post about it on your own facebook page, as in, "Hey Friends! I'm opening my childcare in January! blah blah blah! Let any friends know and I can tell them all about it..."
Snowmom 07:13 AM 08-03-2017
Originally Posted by CalCare:
legally, in CA, we aren't actually allowed to advertise without our license number IN the ad. So there is no such thing as "opening soon" ... I mean, unless you already have your license. If no license, no number, then no ad! You can advertise through word of mouth and you could post about it on your own facebook page, as in, "Hey Friends! I'm opening my childcare in January! blah blah blah! Let any friends know and I can tell them all about it..."
Ok.

There are many forms of advertising.
OP, I'm sure you could join some mom's groups (Facebook, local MOPS groups, Nextdoor App, etc) that you could chime in on when people ask for recommendations to find childcare.
Ariana 09:44 AM 08-03-2017
I personally find those times to be my busiest in terms of clients wanting care. September seems like a dead zone here for sure!
Tiah 05:57 PM 08-03-2017
Originally Posted by Snowmom:
Ok.

There are many forms of advertising.
OP, I'm sure you could join some mom's groups (Facebook, local MOPS groups, Nextdoor App, etc) that you could chime in on when people ask for recommendations to find childcare.
Thank you so much for the suggestions! I will definitely be using them.
Tiah 05:59 PM 08-03-2017
Thank you all for responding and leaving such great info! I will keep all of this in mind. You all are truly appreciated.❤️
Tiah 06:00 PM 08-03-2017
Originally Posted by CalCare:
I am in California, so good insight.
Tags:california member, starting a daycare
Reply Up