Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How do I know if my child is "ready" for daycare?
Unregistered 07:02 PM 08-22-2017
My son will turn one in a few weeks and my husband and I are exploring the option of starting him in daycare around the time of his birthday. Since he will basically be 1 already, they will place him in the toddler room instead of the infant room.

My son has largely been home with me since he was born but I'm going back to work part-time and we need childcare 3 days per week. (The only exception was from 4 months to 8 months when he went to a SAHM's house 2 days per week while I was in school -- he did very well there).

He is extremely social and generally a very happy baby. How can I help him get ready for a smooth transition? He will be the youngest and smallest child in the room.

He currently falls asleep alone in his crib after drinking a bottle... but he will need to learn to nap on a cot and take only one mid-day nap (he currently does both a morning and afternoon nap). He also will need to get off his bottles... they just do milk in a sippy cup. In day care settings, does the staff help him eat at all? He has been slow to advance with solids... he loves the taste of food but he crams it all in his mouth and often pockets things in his cheeks instead of swallowing.

I'm a little nervous that he will be in over his head in the toddler room since he will be the youngest but, on the other hand, I feel like he would be under stimulated in the infant room since he is practically walking and could learn a lot from good playmates.
flying_babyb 07:13 PM 08-22-2017
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
My son will turn one in a few weeks and my husband and I are exploring the option of starting him in daycare around the time of his birthday. Since he will basically be 1 already, they will place him in the toddler room instead of the infant room.

My son has largely been home with me since he was born but I'm going back to work part-time and we need childcare 3 days per week. (The only exception was from 4 months to 8 months when he went to a SAHM's house 2 days per week while I was in school -- he did very well there).

He is extremely social and generally a very happy baby. How can I help him get ready for a smooth transition? He will be the youngest and smallest child in the room.

He currently falls asleep alone in his crib after drinking a bottle... but he will need to learn to nap on a cot and take only one mid-day nap (he currently does both a morning and afternoon nap). He also will need to get off his bottles... they just do milk in a sippy cup. In day care settings, does the staff help him eat at all? He has been slow to advance with solids... he loves the taste of food but he crams it all in his mouth and often pockets things in his cheeks instead of swallowing.

I'm a little nervous that he will be in over his head in the toddler room since he will be the youngest but, on the other hand, I feel like he would be under stimulated in the infant room since he is practically walking and could learn a lot from good playmates.
Yes, I work a larger center and we assist the children with feeding. I tend to do the messy stuff and let them try with the other food. I make sure they get enough to eat between both options.
I actully work in the toddler room. Most kids transition around 1 to my room and do pretty good. As long as they are starting to walk, and can handle having more friends (our toddler rooms 6 to 8 most days) around they do great. Most of the Non walkers are walking within a few weeks.
Reply Up