Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Insurance>Statefarm Will Only Insure 3 Kids!
carliegirl 06:34 PM 03-06-2010
Hi. I am new to this forum. I have been lurking for a while and LOVE reading about everyone's experiences. I have newly renovated my basement to start a home daycare in my New Jersey home. The renovations are complete, The daycare is all set up, I received my CPR certification, I had myself fingerprinted and background checked for my new parents peace of mind. In NJ you can have up 5 children and not be licensed. I do want to get registered with the State, but I have to have the children enrolled first.

I have State Farm Homeowers Insurance and wanted to add a rider onto my policy to cover the liablity of the daycare. They got back to me and said they will only cover 3 of the 5 children. I am not sure what to do? I googled a few companies that insure home based daycares, but I need to be registered with the state first, but I can't do that until I have enrollment, kind of a catch 22!

Anyone from NJ? Who are you insured with?
mac60 07:59 PM 03-06-2010
State Farm in Ohio insures up to 6.
MarinaVanessa 08:00 AM 03-07-2010
Hmm ... that is a wierd one. I also have State Farm but I am in CA and they insure all of my kids (granted the exception of a dog accident caused by my German Shepherd because here they are considered a dangerous breed). My mother is my agent and I will ask her if it differs from area to area. With State Farm you should be able to just have it added to your current home insurance policy for however many children you are licensed for. If I ever decide to care for 2 more kids they'll cover those too as long as I get licensed for them or if I wanted to become a large daycare home they'll cover all 12 as long I am licensed for them (and as long as I pay the higher fee). Just seems a little strange to me. I'll check it out since I have the "inside scoop" .
tymaboy 08:41 AM 03-07-2010
Originally Posted by mac60:
State Farm in Ohio insures up to 6.
I'm in Ia & my State Farm is also up to 6. If I go up or down in numbers I need to call him to adjust what they have on file.
MarinaVanessa 07:45 AM 03-09-2010
Okay so I had my mother call their underwriter and she said that there is no reason why they should tell you they will only insure 3 kids. It applies to any state. She advised that you talk to a different State Farm office in your area and ask to see what they say. She's pretty sure that they'll quote you for 6 then you can call your State Farm agent again and mention it (I'm assuming you have homeowners insurance or at least renter's insurnce through State Farm since daycare insurance is an add-on). If it comes down to it you may just want to switch agent's. State Farm insures you for however many children you are licensed to care for as long as you keep your maximum allowed updated with them. The'll even cover up to 14 (tha maximum allowed in a daycare home) as long as you pay the rate and are licensed to care for them all. I'd call and have them check again. Seems fishy. If they say the same thing again ask them why.
carliegirl 08:41 AM 03-09-2010
Thank you so much marinavanessa for checking into this for me. I am not licensed though. I am in the process of registering with the state of NJ. In NJ you can have up to 5 kids without being licensed.

I just got off the phone with my statefarm agent and she told me they won't even offer me a separate business owners policy because it is a business located in my home.

I am so stressed out!
emosks 12:13 PM 03-09-2010
I just went through a local insurance agency and we have a licensed group home (up to 12 kids) but we are in MI.
Daycare Mommy 12:45 PM 03-09-2010
Originally Posted by carliegirl:
Thank you so much marinavanessa for checking into this for me. I am not licensed though. I am in the process of registering with the state of NJ. In NJ you can have up to 5 kids without being licensed.

I just got off the phone with my statefarm agent and she told me they won't even offer me a separate business owners policy because it is a business located in my home.

I am so stressed out!
I wouldn't call your regular agent call a different Statefarm office completely. You shouldn't need a separate business owners policy. It should just be a rider policy on your homeowners. I just got a daycare rider for 5 kids for $125 a year through them a week ago. Go to www.statefarm.com and enter your zip in the "Find Agents Near You" search box and pick a different agent at a different address.
Carole's Daycare 01:07 PM 03-09-2010
I had American Family- and they also only covered 6 as a rider on the homeowners policy- including your own kids during daycare hours. I just got a separate Daycare Policy from West Bend for around $40/month that covers everything, my full licensed capacity of 12, way higher coverage etc.
Childminder 01:41 PM 03-09-2010
Maybe the issue is because of not being registered with the state. You don't need a separate policy either. Call your state and ask them or contact other local providers and find out what they do if they aren't registered and don't have to be for under 5 children or if you have a local child care resource center ask them.
Daycare Mommy 01:57 PM 03-09-2010
I should have said also that I'm unlicensed but legal in my state for 5 kids and Statefarm covered me.
MarinaVanessa 06:13 PM 03-09-2010
Maybe it is because you aren't registered yet. I know that state farm will insure based on regulations and like said above as a rider. They even cover if you rent as an addition to a renter's insurance policy. Just wait until you become registered to get your insurance. I know I had to wait until I got my license number in order to get insurance. They won't insure here without it.
mac60 03:06 AM 03-10-2010
Originally Posted by Daycare Mommy:
I wouldn't call your regular agent call a different Statefarm office completely. You shouldn't need a separate business owners policy. It should just be a rider policy on your homeowners. I just got a daycare rider for 5 kids for $125 a year through them a week ago. Go to www.statefarm.com and enter your zip in the "Find Agents Near You" search box and pick a different agent at a different address.
My State Farm insurance is $230 per year, crazy the difference in the cost.
theflyingflamingo 04:34 AM 03-10-2010
Originally Posted by mac60:
My State Farm insurance is $230 per year, crazy the difference in the cost.
You are all getting off CHEAP- my ins company quoted me $1000- gotta love living in South Florida
lbrun 08:45 PM 02-25-2011
Hi everyone...

I am new to this forum. I am a registered Family Child Care Provider in NJ. I am a member of the New Jersey Family Child Care Providers' Association. I am also on the executive board. Carliegirl, your homeowners issue is one that I am going through myself. When I opened my FCC business, I thought that the seperate liability insurance was sufficient, until we were given notice that our homeowners was threatening to cancel the policy. I too have a seperate set up from the home where I run my business. I obtained new homeowners that is very costly. Looking for a new homeowners is proving to be a battle.

I spoke to State Farm as well and was told that they do not write home owners policies for Family Child Care businesses. Several years ago they had, but they do not currently...it doesn't matter if you are registered or how many children are in care. I don't understand why the rep. would say they can cover for 3 out of the 5 children. To my understanding, they do not offer a rider either, as someone else has posted. A fellow FCCP does have State Farm from insuring her home with the business, but she obtained her policy approx. 8 years ago. I have been in touch with one of several brokers claiming Lloyds of London will insure the home with the FCC business. Looking into this option. Of course it will come at a price. Good luck in your search and business endevours.

Please look into joining the NJFCCPA! We are here for Family Child Care Providers like you. April 9, 2011 there is a FCC Conference which may be of interest to you and others in this forum. You are all welcome to check out the website for more info. www.njfccpa.org. Membership applications, conference information, national conference (Las Vegas, this year), and much more is available on this site. Thank you! Curious how things have worked out for you.
Michael 08:40 AM 02-26-2011
Originally Posted by lbrun:
Hi everyone...

I am new to this forum. I am a registered Family Child Care Provider in NJ. I am a member of the New Jersey Family Child Care Providers' Association. I am also on the executive board. Carliegirl, your homeowners issue is one that I am going through myself. When I opened my FCC business, I thought that the seperate liability insurance was sufficient, until we were given notice that our homeowners was threatening to cancel the policy. I too have a seperate set up from the home where I run my business. I obtained new homeowners that is very costly. Looking for a new homeowners is proving to be a battle. I spoke to State Farm as well and was told that they do not write home owners policies for Family Child Care businesses. Several years ago they had, but they do not currently...it doesn't matter if you are registered or how many children are in care. I don't understand why the rep. would say they can cover for 3 out of the 5 children. To my understanding, they do not offer a rider either, as someone else has posted. A fellow FCCP does have State Farm from insuring her home with the business, but she obtained her policy approx. 8 years ago. I have been in touch with one of several brokers claiming Lloyds of London will insure the home with the FCC business. Looking into this option. Of course it will come at a price. Good luck in your search and business endevours.
Please look into joining the NJFCCPA! We are here for Family Child Care Providers like you. April 9, 2011 there is a FCC Conference which may be of interest to you and others in this forum. You are all welcome to check out the website for more info. www.njfccpa.org. Membership applications, conference information, national conference (Las Vegas, this year), and much more is available on this site. Thank you! Curious how things have worked out for you.
Welcome to the Daycare.com Forum. Sorry it took so long to upgrade your status. I am in Uruguay. Will be back tomorrow, Sunday.
snbauser 10:16 AM 02-26-2011
In CA I had State Farm and they covered up to the 6 kids. Here in NC when I upped my license to 12 kids, State Farm dropped me. They would not cover my business and would also not underwrite our renter's insurance policy. So now I am left with no renter's insurance. But I do have liability insurance for my business through Adults & Children's Alliance.
SandeeAR 10:21 AM 02-26-2011
I'm with Farm Bureau. I have a rider added to our current policy. It is a renters contents policy. My rider covers me with up to 5 kids, the legal amount, not being licensed. It costs me $44 a year.
Unregistered 11:15 AM 03-06-2011
Hi!
State Farm will insure your home with liability coverage for 3 children. Than they can add endorsement for child care liability coverage for up to another 3 children for a total of 6 children if needed. I am just now going to that process myself so it is updated information. I am in NJ and they did't ask am I registered or no. My advice is to obtain that registration, ask for 3 kids insurance and than ask for endorsement for more once you have more kids.
Tags:homeowners, insurance, state farm
Reply Up