Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Book Club - Reviews / Suggestions>Are Any of You Spiritual? No I Don't Mean Religious
dEHmom 12:45 PM 04-27-2012
I was wondering, after reading that book I recommended a while back, "The Power of Losing Control" I moved onto a book called "The Power of Now" and realized these books touch upon the basic principals or ideas of Buddhism (which I am partially informed about).

I am not religious. I don't mean offense to anyone who is, but it just isn't my thing. I don't believe in A GOD, or some higher power. I do believe there is afterlife, and I do believe in other things that might point to higher powers, but it's just so confusing to me.

Anyways, after reading those books, I started to look into and do some research on spirituality, more in the sense of your body's spirit, auras, chakras (your body's energy centers), energy/healing gemstones/rocks, etc.

I am fascinated in it. and want to learn all about it. I've tried mindfulness before (I hate the word meditation as it just sounds wrong to me). I never really succeeded in meditation, but have had the peaceful moments where my brain completely shuts up. Well, just now, I was sitting outside (my babies are all napping), and had a really interesting experience while my brain was quiet.

At first,there was a colorful light show and then it went bright white, and it appeared as though someone was standing right in front of me. Now I wonder what that is, or WHO that was. Also I know it was just coincidence, but there was a breeze that went by just before the feelin that someone was there. It is a breezy (on and off) kind of day, but it was just perfect timing.

I'm excited to have some peace and quiet for a bit and see again. When I opened my eyes, and moved around, it felt peaceful in my body. Everything feels different around me, even though nothing has changed.

I'm curious to find out if any of you meditate, or have any connection with your body's energy, etc. If so, do you have any advice or tips on how to do it more successfully?
Ariana 02:18 PM 04-27-2012
I've read those books too and love the mesage they send. I find it hard to be in the present tense all the time but I try when I'm mindful of my thoughts. I also have an Ap on my iPhone for meditation and it's AMAZING! It's a guided meditation where a narrator guides your relaxation. I have never seen any auras or lights and things but have heard about it before and an old college friend of mine told me he sees people's auras all the time.

I don't have any advice but it's definately a topic I'm interested in. Have you ever done yoga or anything like that?
Michael 03:11 PM 04-27-2012
Well this is sure is a "New Age" topic for you. I've read up on many religious/occult/spiritual/philosophies from pruely a layman's point of view. I feel we all need to find ourselves and what works for us as individuals. Since I believe there is a God/Creator I feel it is important to have a personal relationship with that entity. We can use external expriences to help to us focus internally. I think the most important statement you made was that you were listening to your inner self. Many people have a difficult time stopping all the sensory noise to truely listen to those other forces that are not seen but present.

I think one of the most important exercises I know of is prayer. In that, I mean the expression of "asking" for what is needed, not just what is wanted. It makes that conversation a one on one experience with a higher power and that in itself is empowering.

Also, the exercise of the Revseral of Daily Activities. At bedtime reverse all of the activities of your day (rewind from that point to the beginning of your day). It gives you reflection and empathy of who you are and how you relate to those things which are around you. See if you can do it to the smallest detail. You might find in the future you will see things differently.
MizzCheryl 06:40 PM 04-27-2012
Have you ever noticed how babies look a bit above your head. They can see your aura. That is why they are drawn to some people and not others. For example, when they see someone that has an aura similar to their moms or dads they feel comfortable.
I bet lots of you have seen a baby just be dazzled by someone and the are kind of looking above them or around their head.
Some kids can tell you about your aura but by the time they can express what they see most have lost the ability to see them.

I remember seeing a glowing light around some people but never knew what it was. When I was very young I told someone I like orange people.
dEHmom 11:44 AM 04-30-2012
Originally Posted by Michael:
I think one of the most important exercises I know of is prayer. In that, I mean the expression of "asking" for what is needed, not just what is wanted. It makes that conversation a one on one experience with a higher power and that in itself is empowering.
I respect your beliefs and admire your faith in it. But I can't say I understand or think it's the right way or only way. Maybe for me, by changing the word "prayer" into "seeking answers from your spiritual guides (or inner self) it might make me feel more comfortable. I find it very hard to believe in "A single higher power". Speaking only for myself, I don't believe any of the bible, and if there is any truth to the bible, I believe it has been extremely misunderstood. I think people take what they want out of what they hear/read, and some one person, whether it's the reader, preacher, or whoever, passes on their interpretations to future generations. Much like the game of telephone. The story has long since been altered or misheard/misread, etc. I DO however believe in forces, energies, and spirituality. To me there is no "one" creator. I believe we all came from the earth, must respect the earth and be "grounded" or else when our time comes, we will be forever lost on earth in some other "reality". I can't say that I know for fact that I've had previous lives, or that I will have future lives, but I think our life as human on earth is just one part of life and history. I also believe too many people focus too much on their body and mind, to define who they are, rather then focusing on their inner self, their soul. The body is just some skin on your bones that keeps your soul safe while on earth. Your body and your mind/brain is not who you are. Your soul is who you are, it is all you ever truly need to know. No one will remember your thoughts, or your memories, they will only remember their "interpretation" of your life.

Originally Posted by Clueless:
Have you ever noticed how babies look a bit above your head. They can see your aura. That is why they are drawn to some people and not others. For example, when they see someone that has an aura similar to their moms or dads they feel comfortable.
I bet lots of you have seen a baby just be dazzled by someone and the are kind of looking above them or around their head.
Some kids can tell you about your aura but by the time they can express what they see most have lost the ability to see them.

I remember seeing a glowing light around some people but never knew what it was. When I was very young I told someone I like orange people.
I do agree with this completely. I've never heard it mentioned as they see auras, but it makes sense. I always just assumed it was the person themselves has a calmness to them. Babies and animals LOVE my mom, as well as me (for the most part). You know how when a person who is not very comfortable holding a baby for fear of hurting or dropping it, can never have a baby settle in their arms? I always thought it was the awkward positions or just the sense that they are not safe with that person. But the aura's make perfect sense.
dave4him 02:47 PM 04-30-2012
I have heard it put this way, we are all souls currently in bodies... not bodies with souls.... we are all eternal spiritual beings created for purpose.
Michael 04:22 PM 04-30-2012
Originally Posted by dEHmom:
I respect your beliefs and admire your faith in it. But I can't say I understand or think it's the right way or only way. Maybe for me, by changing the word "prayer" into "seeking answers from your spiritual guides (or inner self) it might make me feel more comfortable. I find it very hard to believe in "A single higher power". Speaking only for myself, I don't believe any of the bible, and if there is any truth to the bible, I believe it has been extremely misunderstood. I think people take what they want out of what they hear/read, and some one person, whether it's the reader, preacher, or whoever, passes on their interpretations to future generations. Much like the game of telephone. The story has long since been altered or misheard/misread, etc. I DO however believe in forces, energies, and spirituality. To me there is no "one" creator. I believe we all came from the earth, must respect the earth and be "grounded" or else when our time comes, we will be forever lost on earth in some other "reality". I can't say that I know for fact that I've had previous lives, or that I will have future lives, but I think our life as human on earth is just one part of life and history. I also believe too many people focus too much on their body and mind, to define who they are, rather then focusing on their inner self, their soul. The body is just some skin on your bones that keeps your soul safe while on earth. Your body and your mind/brain is not who you are. Your soul is who you are, it is all you ever truly need to know. No one will remember your thoughts, or your memories, they will only remember their "interpretation" of your life.
Well, seek out as much information as you can and decide what works for YOU. The fact that you are now asking questions is a good thing. I can only tell you the more you think you know, in time you'll find the less you know.

Stay a pupil.
Ariana 05:37 PM 04-30-2012
Well this is sure is a "New Age" topic for you. I've read up on many religious/occult/spiritual/philosophies from pruely a layman's point of view. I feel we all need to find ourselves and what works for us as individuals. Since I believe there is a God/Creator I feel it is important to have a personal relationship with that entity. We can use external expriences to help to us focus internally. I think the most important statement you made was that you were listening to your inner self. Many people have a difficult time stopping all the sensory noise to truely listen to those other forces that are not seen but present.

Also, the exercise of the Revseral of Daily Activities. At bedtime reverse all of the activities of your day (rewind from that point to the beginning of your day). It gives you reflection and empathy of who you are and how you relate to those things which are around you. See if you can do it to the smallest detail. You might find in the future you will see things differently.
I love this! Thanks for sharing
dEHmom 06:25 PM 04-30-2012
Well, seek out as much information as you can and decide what works for YOU. The fact that you are now asking questions is a good thing. I can only tell you the more you think you know, in time you'll find the less you know.

Stay a pupil.
Awesome response Michael! You nailed it by the way. It's always what works for each person. God is a word that people attach an image to, or a certain way of life. "GOD" is just a word, it can be substituted by anyone into whatever word works for them. EVERYONE has a belief or faith in something, doesn't mean it's wrong to believe in something other than.

I hope you know I wasn't trying to debate what you said earlier. And I wasn't trying to put down what you believe either. Just want to clarify that.

Thank you.

Dave4him, thanks for simplifying and explaining what i was trying to say. Once this became my truth, I was able to let go of my "myth"
Tags:god, religious beliefs, spiritual
Reply Up