Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Question About Meal And Snack Deductions
AcornMama 01:36 PM 09-16-2013
I am not on the food program, but plan on taking the standard deductions for snacks and meals.

If I offer a dck a snack and they refuse it, do I still take the deduction. One dck ate snack, one didn't. Is it based on which kids actually take the food.

Since this wasn't lunch, I didn't actually plate the snack for the child who didn't want it. I plated her lunch but she didn't really eat anything. I am still going to take the deduction as she drank her milk and picked at her bread.

But I don't know if I can/should for the snack. It was snack time. Snack was purchased and planned for her, she just didn't want it.

Any advice?
Blackcat31 01:41 PM 09-16-2013
I am on the food program and for me in my area, I am only required to offer. If the child refuses, I can still count it.

I don't even need to plate it, I just need to offer.

Not 100% sure how that works when you are just taking the standard meal deductions but I would think it would be the same.

Maybe look on Tom Copeland's blog and see if he has any tips or explanations.

http://www.tomcopelandblog.com/food-...-expenses.html
AcornMama 01:55 PM 09-16-2013
I have his Record Keeping Guide. On p. 38 it says, "...you must actually serve a meal in order to count it."

I could read that two different ways:

1) you have to serve a child his/her food to count it.
2) you have to actually be serving a snack to count it.

If #1, then I wouldn't count it, because I didn't actually serve this child.

If #2, then I would count it, because I was serving snack at snack time, but one dck just didn't want it.

I know one snack doesn't really make much difference, but I'm trying to establish some good record-keeping habits from the beginning.
Blackcat31 01:57 PM 09-16-2013
If you post this question in the tax section of the forum, Tom is usually great about answering specific questions.....

I often over think things and find myself second guessing everything so I would probably just ask him.
AcornMama 01:59 PM 09-16-2013
Ah, yes, paying attention to the proper forum might help! Thanks!
Tags:deduction - meals, meal deductions
Reply Up