Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Transitioning To A Nap Mat?
Unregistered 01:19 PM 07-29-2017
My son will be 21 months in August. He will be starting with a new provider then. I'm a teacher and at the end of the school year, his previous wonderful provider announced she was closing up shop and looking for a different job. I quickly found a new provider using her recommendations, the only issue is the new woman has her kids sleep on nap mats and my son was always in a pack and play at the previous providor's and of course has napped in his crib at home. How can a practice using a nap mat at home so it's not a huge shock to him when he starts the new place in a month? He has a great routine of taking a nap after lunch but I'm afraid he'll want to play with everything in sight if he's on the floor during a nap instead of contained. I know the new provider just lays out the nap mats on the playroom floor during nap time.
Josiegirl 04:53 PM 07-29-2017
Your ds might do better than you think. I started an 18 mo just for the summer and the easiest part has been sleeping on a cot. Her sister is nearby so I'm sure that helps. But I sit down right beside her with my book and she falls asleep within 5 minutes, listening to soft sleepy music. Seeing the other dcks resting the same way might help him settle in.
finsup 05:18 PM 07-29-2017
They do really well! I started a kiddo on a mat at 18-19m and no reap problems at all. He also had only been in a crib or pnp until that point. I did find cots as opposed to mats helped keep him in place more. He rolled off the mat a time or two, switched to a cot and it hasn't been a problem. They really do "get it" very quickly!

Even if he does play etc, the provider will just redirect him back to a mat, maybe sit next to him, rub his back etc until he falls asleep You can practice at home if you want, but I know my own kids would push/test me more then they would someone else lol.
CityGarden 05:21 PM 07-29-2017
Kuddos to you for trying to help ease his transition! I would remove the crib and make a floor bed for your son with the current crib mattress. I am attaching an example but you can also good "Montessori Floor Beds" and "RIE sleep space" this will both help him with the transition to nap mats and also have other positive benefits at home.
Attached: montessori.jpg (91.5 KB) 
flying_babyb 05:55 PM 07-29-2017
best advice- buy a kindergarden mat, toss a sheet on it and sit with him at nap, rub his back, put on music and I bet he will do great!

I applaud you for being a caring mom and starting this early (and not handing his care provider that job!)
Unregistered 02:16 PM 07-30-2017
Thank you all. I bought a little bedroll style mat that I figured we could practice with and also use at grandma's, etc. We do play white noise/rain sounds for him to sleep so I think I'll just try this week having him try to nap on the mat with the shades drawn and the white noise playing. He has been laying on the mat while still drowsy in the morning and seems to like it so that's a start.
Unregistered 01:17 PM 08-15-2017
Just an update to say thanks for the advice - my son had his first day and napped on a mat no problem! He was so worn out from the new toys and playmates that he couldn't resist falling asleep!
storybookending 07:49 PM 08-15-2017
congrats to your son! I need to bite the bullet with my 21month old dcg when she returns next week as her mom is a teacher as well. Such a stubborn thing she is!
Rockgirl 11:33 AM 08-16-2017
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Just an update to say thanks for the advice - my son had his first day and napped on a mat no problem! He was so worn out from the new toys and playmates that he couldn't resist falling asleep!
Yay for your little guy!

I've been laying my 19-month old dcg on a mat this week for the first time. I wasn't sure what to expect, but she is doing great. She's so excited to be on a mat, instead of the pnp--she loves being big!
ColorfulSunburst 03:38 PM 08-16-2017
I move kids to mat when they are 11-12 mo.
Tags:mats, transitioning - crib to cot
Reply Up