Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Wireless Smoke Alarms
lovemykidstoo 07:06 AM 08-14-2017
I had my fire inspection last week and he told me that I needed to install wireless smoke alarms. Looking around, these are pretty pricey. Too bad I just bought like 8 regular ones with carbon mono. detectors. Does anyone have the wireless ones? Can you tell me about them? Price, easy to install, where do you put them? etc
Pestle 07:34 AM 08-14-2017
Wireless alarms? Do you mean hard-wired detectors? (I'm thinking of alarms like the strobes in office buildings.)

Yes, I was quoted $1000 to have hard-wired detectors installed. It brings your house up to current building code and you can probably claim the expense. Plus--$1000 may be a huge up-front expense, but the long-term safety to your family is more than worth it.

Our battery-powered smoke detectors didn't go off until after we'd already evacuated the day care last year during our fire. I doubt hard-wired detectors would've done any better, since the fire was under the house instead of inside the house. Anyway, I hadn't yet had the hard-wired detectors installed, so the insurance covered the entire cost! The contractor wasn't allowed legally to make repairs that restore the house to a non-code-compliant condition. He had to bring the house up to code. At the same time, I paid out-of-pocket to have him install an illuminated exit sign. I'm still confused about that, but the licensing agent said I had to have one, so whatever. It makes the room glow pink at night.
lovemykidstoo 02:47 PM 08-14-2017
Nope, not hard wired. We had those in our last house. These are wireless. They do have batteries, but communicate between each other. like hard wired, if one goes off, they all do. They're like $60 for 2.
LysesKids 05:07 PM 08-14-2017
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
Nope, not hard wired. We had those in our last house. These are wireless. They do have batteries, but communicate between each other. like hard wired, if one goes off, they all do. They're like $60 for 2.
Did you look at the ones besides on Amazon? I had those when I was in AR; here I have hard wired & when one goes they all start

Home Depot sells a 3 pack of the Kidde interconnected wireless for $79... it cuts a few $$ off Amazon - I mean you probably need more than 2 right
Tags:alarms, smoke alarms, smoke detector - wireless
Reply Up