Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Diaper Changing Area
Tigerlilly 05:54 PM 08-20-2017
So I am trying to figure out a way to set up a diaper changing station. I am thinking I want to use my utility room and I have cabinetseen and a counter top, but I was not sure if that would fly. It has plenty of room for a changing pad and diapers and other essentialstuff. Do you think it would be frowned on to use a space like this? I was thinking I would get some adhesive velcro strips to attach the changing pad to in case it was slippery at all. I know I am crazy. Made it through three children an never had a changing table with any of them. Lol
CalCare 06:45 PM 08-20-2017
Are you required to have one? We can change on a changing pad on the floor, clean with sanitizer after each use.
Tigerlilly 07:27 PM 08-20-2017
Yes. Practically sounds like it needs to be its own room with running water. My utility room is directly across from my down stairs half-bath. Hopefully that is sufficient. I'm in Michigan.

[quote] R 400.1923 Diapering and toilet learning.
Rule 23. (1) Diapering of infants and toddlers shall only occur in a designated changing area.
(2) The designated changing area shall comply with all of the following:
(a) Be used exclusively for changing wet or soiled diapers or underwear.
(b) Be located away from food preparation and meal service areas.
(c) Have access to a hand washing sink that is not used for food preparation.
(d) Have a nonabsorbent, easily sanitized surface with a changing pad between the child and the surface.
(e) Be cleaned and sanitized after each use.
(f) Have diapering/changing supplies within easy reach.
(g) Have a plastic-lined, tightly covered container exclusively for disposable diapers and diapering sup-
plies that shall be emptied and sanitized at the end of each day.
(3) Diapers or training pants shall be changed when wet or soiled.
(4) Only single use disposable wipes or other single use cleaning cloths shall be used to clean a child during
the diapering or toileting process.
(5) If cloth diapers/training pants are provided by the parent, then soiled diapers/training pants shall be placed
in an individual, securely tied plastic bag and returned to the parent at the end of the day.
(6) Toilet learning shall be planned cooperatively between the parent and the caregiver so that the toilet rou-
tine established is consistent.
(7) If toilet learning equipment, such as potty chairs and modifi ed toilet seats, are used, then the following
shall apply:
(a) They shall be able to be easily cleaned and sanitized.
(b) Potty chairs shall be emptied, rinsed, and sanitized after each use.
(8) If disposable gloves are used, then they shall only be used once for a specifi c child and be removed and
disposed of in a safe and sanitary manner immediately after each diaper change.[quote]
CalCare 09:06 PM 08-20-2017
Wow, I went ahead and looked at all the requirements online for Michigan home childcare, and wow. That's pretty intense. If I were you, I would call licensing and ask, before putting a lot of money/ time/ effort into making an extra room into a changing area. I would ask what exactly "access" to a sink means. And what exactly "designated" diapering area means. Because I wouldn't have a whole extra room with a sink in my place! Who would!? So, I would see if I can do a changing pad on the floor, as close as possible to a bathroom and always change diapers there - and voila, that's the diapering area... Idk what they expect. Do they expect a person to have a sink put into a bedroom or something lol or perhaps just remodel their entire bathroom to fit a changing table!?
Tigerlilly 05:49 AM 08-21-2017
I'm glad I am not the only one who thinks it's a bit over the top. I'm going to call the person responsible for home inspections today. She has not been very helpful so far, but what could it hurt.
hwichlaz 07:10 AM 08-21-2017
I have a designated area in my current home, which isn't required so I don't have a sink near it. I have gloves and hand sanitizer on the wall. When I go to the bathroom to dispose of the diaper, I wash my hands.

Before that, I had diaper changing supplies under the bathroom sink, with a separate changing pad for each child. It was a stack of the free ones you used to get from the OB when you were pregnant. They came with formula powder samples in the zipper pockets. They were the same size as the type that come with a diaper bag. I'd just change the on the bathroom floor in front of the sink, drop the diaper and gloves in the trash, wash my hands, wash baby's hands, wipe down changing pad with a clorox wipe, and be done.
284878 07:45 AM 08-21-2017
Yes I think your idea for a changing area is sufficient. An orientation they will explain to you what is acceptable and what is not. Putting a changing pad on a carpet to change the child is not acceptable any other flooring that is non assorbent is as long as you use the pad.

I use a changing table in the playroom. which is kiddy corner from the bathroom. I also considered when opening to use the bathroom or the laundry room, but I did not have enough space to store everything. Plus my laundry room is my entryway and changing a child as a parent enters would be a privacy issue.

Make sure you read the technical portion of the rule book to make sure your space is acceptable.
Reply Up