Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Private Day Home Notice and Car Seats
Unregistered 03:08 PM 09-13-2015
I just switched my 3 year old into a new private dayhome. I work fulltime so my kid gets fulltime care. I have just have a couple of questions. ..
First, my new dayhome is asking me for a car seat but I can't afford a new one. Are the dayhomes in Alberta, Canada supposed to have one anyways in case of emergencies or am I supposed to provide my dayhome with my own car seat?
Second, only two weeks in my new dayhome they ask me a few days in advance if she could have two days off. I had no problem with it because my husband is not working right now but I did ask if next time if I could have at least two weeks notice unless of course its an emergency. I explained to her my last dayhome took time off with very little notice a lot and it was difficult to find last minute care or one of us would have to stay home. Now I'm in the wrong for judging her to my last daycare. Basically I'm just wondering how much notice a private dayhome in Alberta is supposed to give when they want to take their own time off?
Play Care 03:09 AM 09-14-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I just switched my 3 year old into a new private dayhome. I work fulltime so my kid gets fulltime care. I have just have a couple of questions. ..
First, my new dayhome is asking me for a car seat but I can't afford a new one. Are the dayhomes in Alberta, Canada supposed to have one anyways in case of emergencies or am I supposed to provide my dayhome with my own car seat?
Second, only two weeks in my new dayhome they ask me a few days in advance if she could have two days off. I had no problem with it because my husband is not working right now but I did ask if next time if I could have at least two weeks notice unless of course its an emergency. I explained to her my last dayhome took time off with very little notice a lot and it was difficult to find last minute care or one of us would have to stay home. Now I'm in the wrong for judging her to my last daycare. Basically I'm just wondering how much notice a private dayhome in Alberta is supposed to give when they want to take their own time off?
Most of the providers here are from the U.S. and rules and regulations are much different here than in Canada. I don't even think your provider needs to be licensed, and most of us have to be. Legally speaking, I don't think there is anything she *has* to do.

But to answer your question - it depends. Why does she need a car seat? Is it so she can transport her kids to school, activities? Then I think the onus would be on her to make sure she had appropriate car seats for the kids in her care. Or is she transporting your child to preschool at your request? In that case, you should supply it. Of course, if she said during the interview that you need to supply a seat in order for your child to attend and you agreed to it, then you need to do what you agreed to.

As for time off - I *never* ask my clients for permission to take time off. They are not my bosses and can easily be replaced with other clients if needed. I tell them when I am taking time off. I do think that professionally at least a two week notice of time off is nice, and a month notice is ideal, but emergencies can come up and parents who use dayhomes should have back up in place at all times (grandparents, friend, neighbor, etc) Day homes are usually much cheaper than centers, but there are trade offs and this is one.

I think it all comes down to what was discussed when you were interviewed? Did she talk about her car seat policy? Her time off policy? It may be that this provider is just not as good fit for your family as you may have thought. And that's okay as not every care situation is right for every family and child.
Good Luck!
childcaremom 03:14 AM 09-14-2015
I am in Canada and legally unlicensed. Private home daycare.

I provide all equipment. Not all providers have to or do. I don't transport so car seats are a non-issue.

As for time off, agree with above. I take the time off when I need to. I give as much warning as I can but sometimes emergencies come up and there isn't too much I can do about it.

I think it all depends what you agreed to. If none of this was discussed, then you should have a chat with your provider to clear the air.
mommyneedsadayoff 06:44 AM 09-14-2015
I am not sure if there is something similar in Canada, but in my state, our health clinic will give you a brand new seat if you have low income, so maybe check with your local child health and safety officials. Or you can see if a friend has one they no longer need. If they need a seat, I would provide it or not choose them for daycare. I needs car seats here, because we do school drops, but I supply them (I have car seats coming out of my ears!).

I like to give at least two weeks notice, but there are times when you don't have that option, so being flexible and having back up is really important in home daycare. Sometimes it just cannot be helped. If your provider is routinely taking days off without much warning, then I would find new daycare.
Reply Up