Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Breach of Confidentiality by State Inspector
NEDaycare 07:39 AM 10-17-2008
I operate a licensed child care in the State of Nebraska. In idle conversation with a State Inspector for the food program, I mentioned that my husband was up for consideration for a possible transfer with the military, but we did not know anything yet. I never thought that she would share any conversation that I had with her. However, she went straight to another daycare provider and told her what I'd said, but added "spin" on it and said that we were moving out of town, and then that daycare provider told one of my former daycare families (whom she currently has in her daycare, who out of the blue showed up at my doorstep the next day "just to say hi" and they had not been here since they changed daycares due to needing earlier hours, and told me that her daycare provider was looking for full time kids so she could get rid of all her part-timers... I believe she was sent over here to go "shopping" for which kids were still here but I did not know it until I learned all of this after the fact) and one of my current daycare families (whom she promptly scheduled an interview with), and I am losing families because this State employee spread a rumor that I am moving, when that conversation should have been confidential, and we have no idea if we are or are not moving. I know for a fact that one of my current families has already interviewed with the other daycare provider that the State employee leaked my conversation to, and this morning I had two other no-call, no-shows which is highly unusual. I'm losing income and will have to rebuild my business because of this breach of confidentiality. I did call the food program inspector (as well as the daycare provider that she spread the rumor to that is in turn spreading the rumor to every family she can get a hold of) and told her that I was aware that she told the other provider. She had all kinds of excuses and apologies and I pointed out to her that if we do move, it's months down the road IF IT EVEN HAPPENS! She said she thought it was a sure-thing, and I pointed out to her that it was NOT her business to share even if it was a sure thing. We live in a very small town where news travels fast, and it's NOT a military town. If it were, everyone would understand military issues and a possible move would be no big deal, because it happens to everyone in the military. But in this case, we're one of under a dozen full time military people that live here. Any advice? It took me over a year and a half to build my daycare and get half way decent paying families in that follow the contract. To have it destroyed overnight is just sickening.
Unregistered 11:40 AM 10-27-2008
I would call her supervisor & make sure to follow up on it.
NEDaycare 12:04 PM 10-28-2008
Thanks. I called her and then I called her supervisor after I did begin losing kids from the daycare. I requested a new food program coordinator to inspect my home regularly, and they did do that for me. Right now, my income is down until I can find replacement children for those that left. So I've had to pay for an ad in the paper and thus far am down several hundred dollars. I learned a lesson, though. Business is Business and NEVER talk to anyone about anything except the subject matter they are visiting for. This town is too small, and people just love to put a spin on things or make things up altogether. I assume due to a lack of better things to do.
Ms.Sue 04:32 PM 11-16-2008
I would have her ass! I would contact her supervisor (IN WRITING) and explain all the trouble caused by such an unprofessional act on her part.

Ms.Sue
Reply Up