Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Inclement Weather Policy??
Crazy8 03:19 PM 11-06-2012
Do you have one? Can you post details if you do?? Apparently this is going to get more common here as we get hit with a nor'easter right after the hurricane and I'm thinking I need to add something to my contract about it.
Michael 03:25 PM 11-06-2012
https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...weather+policy
Cat Herder 03:35 PM 11-06-2012
It is one of those touchy money subjects.

IME, The best thing is to preplan so you don't have to close.

*That is what I did. I can open without power, easily, for up to 3 months. I knew what I needed to do this before I bought my home. It came from experience after having to go without pay in previous years...

IMHO, If you do have to close you will have to choose if you charge full rate, half rate or not at all. The answer will be different for everyone, .
Crazy8 03:43 PM 11-06-2012
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
It is one of those touchy money subjects.

IME, The best thing is to preplan so you don't have to close.

*That is what I did. I can open without power, easily, for up to 3 months. I knew what I needed to do this before I bought my home. It came from experience after having to go without pay in previous years...

IMHO, If you do have to close you will have to choose if you charge full rate, half rate or not at all. The answer will be different for everyone, .
I know the answer is different for everyone - I am just asking for those who have WRITTEN policies on the subject to share them so I can maybe copy and paste the points I would like in my own policy!!
Cat Herder 03:44 PM 11-06-2012
Originally Posted by Crazy8:
I know the answer is different for everyone - I am just asking for those who have WRITTEN policies on the subject to share them so I can maybe copy and paste the points I would like in my own policy!!
Point taken.

I wont answer you again.
Crazy8 03:44 PM 11-06-2012
unfortunately none of those are about sharing contract policies on inclement weather closings - almost all deal with what temperature to allow children to go out in which is a totally different subject.
SilverSabre25 03:48 PM 11-06-2012
I'll post mine word for word when I get on the other computer, but in short it's that I'm closed for sure if it's a level 3 snow emergency (which is a total no-brainer because um the whole city is shut down at that poitn) and that I close if there are conditions that make it unsafe for me to provide child care (such as no water, no power when that leads to too cold/hot temps inside, etc).

i don't charge if I *must* be closed because of conditions at my home (and ok, the snow is iffy but most of my parents work retail and wouldn't get paid either); if I'm open and they choose not to attend then payment is still due.
Crazy8 07:02 PM 11-06-2012
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Point taken.

I wont answer you again.
I didn't mean to offend you, I just don't want this to turn into another "what you should do", "what I would do", etc. thread - there are a few of those from the past week already for all of us who dealt with the hurricane. I am perfectly fine with the decision I made regarding last week, although others may not be, that's ok! But right now I am looking for the actual written policies people may have on the subject.
bunnyslippers 07:00 AM 11-07-2012
I only take teachers' children, so we operate on a school year schedule.

My policy states that:

During inclement weather, I am closed if the schools are closed. The first five closings due to inclement weather are unpaid days. Any days beyond the initial five require payment.

In the event of a delayed opening, drop-off time is also delayed for the duration of the delay. The same applies to early dismissal.

Please note that we are not able to shovel or plow during the day, so plan accordingly. Our driveway and walkway are slippery, and our road is difficult to travel on in inclement weather.
Crazy8 07:58 AM 11-07-2012
Originally Posted by bunnyslippers:
I only take teachers' children, so we operate on a school year schedule.

My policy states that:

During inclement weather, I am closed if the schools are closed. The first five closings due to inclement weather are unpaid days. Any days beyond the initial five require payment.

In the event of a delayed opening, drop-off time is also delayed for the duration of the delay. The same applies to early dismissal.

Please note that we are not able to shovel or plow during the day, so plan accordingly. Our driveway and walkway are slippery, and our road is difficult to travel on in inclement weather.
Thanks! You reminded me to include something about shoveling during the day - I always shovel in the mornings before first kid but I can't be out there doing it midday while the kids are inside!
Tags:inclement weather, weather policy
Reply Up