Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>No Call No Show Charge?
kelsey's kids 08:25 AM 10-17-2013
Does anybody charge a no call no show fee? If so how much is it?
wdmmom 08:28 AM 10-17-2013
I charge a "convenience fee" of $10 in addition to the regular daily rate if a parent doesn't notify the daycare within 30 minutes of the child's contracted drop off time that they will be late or absent for the day.
SSWonders 08:33 AM 10-17-2013
I'd be sooooo rich if I did that!
daycare 08:38 AM 10-17-2013
all of my clients are prepaid one month in advance. I do not give credit for days missed or allow make up days.

so they would lose out on a full day of daycare fees. I don't tolerate no call no show. If someone did that, I would term.
BrooklynM 08:56 AM 10-17-2013
You mean they didn't pay you in advance? I would just say that you need to get your fees in advance. Did you try to call them and make sure they are ok?
Willow 09:13 AM 10-17-2013
Originally Posted by BrooklynM:
You mean they didn't pay you in advance? I would just say that you need to get your fees in advance. Did you try to call them and make sure they are ok?
Getting parents to agree to paying in advance isnt as simple as just demanding it. NO ONE does that anywhere near where I live and if I required it I'd be finding another job right quick as no families would ever contract for care with me.

Kelsey, I hope everything is ok with your famiky. If it is and they're just being rude by not ccommunicating with you that something changed then please consider terming them. Tacking on a fee may curb some of that, but plenty of parents will happily fork over even large amounts of money for the go ahead to disrespect you.
jenn 09:25 AM 10-17-2013
I do not charge ahead. My parents do have some free days to use, but can only use them with notice. My cut off is 9:00am. So, if they call prior to 9:00am letting me know they will be gone, they can use a free day. f I have not heard from then by 9:00am, it is a fully paid day.
Leigh 09:27 AM 10-17-2013
Originally Posted by Willow:
Getting parents to agree to paying in advance isnt as simple as just demanding it. NO ONE does that anywhere near where I live and if I required it I'd be finding another job right quick as no families would ever contract for care with me.

Kelsey, I hope everything is ok with your famiky. If it is and they're just being rude by not ccommunicating with you that something changed then please consider terming them. Tacking on a fee may curb some of that, but plenty of parents will happily fork over even large amounts of money for the go ahead to disrespect you.
Other providers in my area also do not require payment in advance. I am full, many others are not. I honestly think that parents take me MORE seriously because I have a LOT of rules, some demands, and insist on being paid upfront. I give NO free days, they pay my minimum whether their kid attends or not, and I have happy parents here.
countrymom 10:09 AM 10-17-2013

thats how it is in my area too. No one ever charges in advance otherwise i would be looking for another job too. I charge by the day, so if you don't come and you dont call you get charged plus 10 dollars for incovinece.
Blackcat31 10:42 AM 10-17-2013
Payment in advance is definitely a new concept for our state. I have been pre-paid for a while but the only reason I think it went over well here was because a HUGE group of providers and centers all made the change at the same time so parents really had no choice.

I think that a majority of businesses (not just child care) don't charge until AFTER services have been provided.

My DH requires a deposit or percentage of the bill to be paid before hand and the remaining balance AFTER the work has been done.

I can see how as a parent, pre-payment would be a negative, but I also understand why providers choose to be pre-paid.

When all providers in your area require it or it is standard practice for your community, it definitely helps "force" the rule.
craftymissbeth 07:19 PM 10-17-2013

No one requires pre-pay and two week deposits here, but I do and I have absolutely no problem getting clients. I just went for it and it worked... had it not, then I would have changed my policies to be closer to other providers here.
cara041083 09:32 AM 10-17-2013
Originally Posted by daycare:
all of my clients are prepaid one month in advance. I do not give credit for days missed or allow make up days.

so they would lose out on a full day of daycare fees. I don't tolerate no call no show. If someone did that, I would term.
I have never thought to do this? Do you count up the weeks each month and they they pay you that? or is it just a flat monthly rate?
kelsey's kids 09:23 AM 10-17-2013
Originally Posted by Willow:400154:
Originally Posted by BrooklynM:

The same goes here nobody pays in advance and nobody would. We are in a pretty low income town and people are barely making it. I do require a deposit that is a quarter of their monthly bill but some cant even afford that.

This family has done this once before and I have charged them but terming is out of the question as I am already low on enrollment and haven't received any calls in a month.
kelsey's kids 10:53 AM 10-17-2013
My parents pay a flat monthly rate requardless of absences, holidays, sick days ect... I was asking if anybody on here charges an additional fee for people you pull no call no show. I have in my contract to charge 20 extra if I am not notified by scheduled drop off time.
Play Care 10:59 AM 10-17-2013
Originally Posted by kelsey's kids:
My parents pay a flat monthly rate requardless of absences, holidays, sick days ect... I was asking if anybody on here charges an additional fee for people you pull no call no show. I have in my contract to charge 20 extra if I am not notified by scheduled drop off time.
I'm sorry, I misunderstood. I do not charge an additional fee. The fact they are paying for a day they are not using is typically enough for me. Most of the times they forget to call it's a good reason (up all night with sick kids, finally fell asleep, etc.) and they are mostly respectful of policy, etc. I guess if it were something that happened often, I might consider a fee, but would probably be more inclined to fill the spot and let the family go.
Moppetland 11:07 AM 10-17-2013
I don't charge for a no show. My parents pay me in advance for the next following week, so, they're paid up. If they don't show up, then they have lost a whole day of care that isn't going to be made up. So actually, I still got paid. It makes no sense to charge if I haven't lost anything.

If they haven't called by a certain time, and I have a planned outing like a walk or a trip to the park, too bad. I don't know what happened, but I don't think I should be calling them to wonder where they are. If they're missing in action with a no call by the 3rd day, then that's when I call them to see what's going on and if they're planning on bringing their child back. It has happened to me before, and basically, it's just the parents being inconsiderate and not calling to tell me that they are at home for a few days, or their child is sick.

I have even written in my policy handbook the consequences of not showing up and not communicating. I would only call them that 3rd day to give them a chance to explain themselves.
Blackcat31 11:19 AM 10-17-2013
Originally Posted by kelsey's kids:
No, I do not charge an additional fee for no shows because I have already been paid for the child to be there so when they don't show, I look at it like an advantage to me. Still receiving payment and not having done the work....kwim?

However, I do require the parent to call me if they are going to be late. If they don't call within 30 minutes of their scheduled time, I consider them absent for the day.

3 no-shows, no-calls could mean termination....which is at MY discretion.

Honestly, I can't see charging a fee for them not showing up if you've already been paid for the day anyways. As a parent, I wouldn't enroll in a program that charged me like that.

My dentist charges me whether I show up for the appt or not. They don't add an additional fee on top of that. I know some people say it is an inconvenience fee but I personally fail to see how it can be an inconvenience for me.
Tags:no show, no show fee
Reply Up