Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>For Parents Of Children In Home Daycares
mac60 01:26 AM 06-03-2008
All the talk of charging for sick days, vacation, holidays, etc. Just what do you---Parents---think is "fair" and why?

Do you think home providers should get sick days? Paid vacations? Paid personal days? Should the parent have to pay if the child doesn't attend due to vacation, holidays, illness, etc. Just wondering what the parents point of view on this is.

On the providers note, parents need to remember that out of our weekly income, we have to pay taxes, insurance, buy food, supplies, maintain our home from the daycare use, pay higher utilities, etc.
AMama 05:45 PM 06-08-2008
As the poster of the question regarding paying for provider time off for surgery, I am happy to reply I certainly believe that all daycare providers deserve paid holidays and a set number of paid personal days as determined by the provider in advance. A sick day, here or there, is also to be expected and I wouldn't ask her to pro-rate an entire month for one or two days off when she is ill...that would be ridiculous.

Because my daughter is my top priority, I want to ensure that the person caring for her is getting adequate time off and taking care of herself so that she is working at her best. While I would love if I didn't have to pay for the days my daughter isn't at daycare (hey, money is tight these days!), it is not realistic to expect a provider to not charge for days my child is out sick or the days I keep her home. Providers have to work to live like we all do and expect a steady income. Just my 2 cents!

As a first time mother, I am learning about daycare as I go and in the future will certainly request a contract of some type that my provider and I can both feel comfortable with. There have been extenuating circumstances in the last six months that led to some issues which a contract may have been able to alleviate. As a completely unrelated side note, I wasn't aware that so many in-home daycares provide meals since mine doesn't, what a bonus!!
mac60 06:16 AM 06-09-2008
As a provider for 9 years, I want to say thank you for respecting us and understanding that while most of us do this job because we love children and kind of found our niche, it is still our source of income. It is nice to have understanding and respectful parents to work with.

I do know a lot of providers don't provide bk or lunch, as a parent who had my own children in dc for 8 years, I can't imagine going to a provider that I had to take their bk and lunch. As a provider, I supply bk, lunch, snacks, preschool curriculum, and activities through out the year, all for $80 a week ft. I put my heart into what I do, and a lot of my income goes right back into my business to buy food, supplies, utilities, etc.

I think you stated your comments very well, and show your provider a lot of respect.
jacky 03:44 AM 06-26-2008
Hi,
as both a parent & carer i feel that carers should not be paid annual leave, sick days etc.(as a carer i would love to see it happen!)

Can i just add,as we are self employed,as some buliders are, that if you got a builder to come in to build your house & he took 2 weeks off over xmas, would you think it fair if he charged you for his time off for a service that you are not getting?

I honestly believe that these costs need to be reflected in the hourly rate the carer charges & do what i do.You work your backside off all year, save hard & i take all summer holidays off to spend with my kids.

Parents should NEVER be charged for days the Carers are unavailable for whatever reason.I think thats really rude to do that.But, i am not from USA & i do realise your daycare run alot differently to ours.I think the fact that USA does not give out a Childcare rebate to parents sucks.
pingaa3 01:32 PM 06-27-2008
We don't get a childcare rebate, but we do get a deduction for childcare costs. Too complicated to explain and not as good as a rebate, but better than nothing.
Unregistered 05:20 PM 07-18-2008
I do not agree with caregivers getting paid vacations and any paid days off. There are benefits to being self employed and downfalls. I think that if a caregiver needs a vacation it should be that persons responsibility to find an appropriate "fill in" while taking a day off. Does your company shut down when the president takes a day off? So, here the parents are having to pay for a caregivers time off while finding and paying someone else to watch their kids. So, they have to pay double for the caregivers day off. People that provide care for other peoples children in their own home should account for the fact that alot of us have costs related to our jobs. Example: education, transporation, clothing, childcare, tools,etc. You aren't this persons employer you are a customer purchasing a service and if the service is not received you should not pay. If you are worried about your caregiver not getting enough rest or time to take care of themselves and you want to offer to pay that is different than being charged for a service not received.
Unregistered 05:58 AM 07-21-2008
[quote=jacky;4238]Hi,
Can i just add,as we are self employed,as some buliders are, that if you got a builder to come in to build your house & he took 2 weeks off over xmas, would you think it fair if he charged you for his time off for a service that you are not getting?

'Child care' is a much different service than 'builder'. One comes into your home and provides a specific, agreed upon service for a short period of time. In the other, you go to her home. Your child's caregiver becomes a major player in your child's life. In some cases spending more waking hours with the care giver than the parent. You don't think that this person deserves a little more than a 'self employed contractor'?

I honestly believe that these costs need to be reflected in the hourly rate the carer charges & do what i do.You work your backside off all year, save hard & i take all summer holidays off to spend with my kids.

If the cost of vacations and days off were built into the hourly rate (a whopping $2.70 here) the complaint would be 'the higher cost of childcare' instead of 'paid vacations and holidays'. The caregiver can't win~parents want it all, quality care, loving home, nutritious food, preschool, toys, art supplies, a yard that looks like a playground~all for $1.00/hour.

I've been on both sides of the fence, both parent and provider so I know what I speak of.
Unregistered 09:08 AM 07-21-2008
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I do not agree with caregivers getting paid vacations and any paid days off. There are benefits to being self employed and downfalls. I think that if a caregiver needs a vacation it should be that persons responsibility to find an appropriate "fill in" while taking a day off. Does your company shut down when the president takes a day off? So, here the parents are having to pay for a caregivers time off while finding and paying someone else to watch their kids. So, they have to pay double for the caregivers day off. People that provide care for other peoples children in their own home should account for the fact that alot of us have costs related to our jobs. Example: education, transporation, clothing, childcare, tools,etc. You aren't this persons employer you are a customer purchasing a service and if the service is not received you should not pay. If you are worried about your caregiver not getting enough rest or time to take care of themselves and you want to offer to pay that is different than being charged for a service not received.
I would just like to say that us caregivers also have costs related to our jobs........food(to feed your kids not mine), transportation (if you do before and after school), damage to our homes and things in our homes(caused by YOUR children), carpet cleaning (that has to be done at least once a month), Education (because you do have to have some type of it), toys ( i could go on forever). Adding in that my home is open to your children 72 hrs a week I sometimes have these kids more than there own parents!!! Oh and for only pennies on the dollar, because if we charged what we are entitled to Daycare would be to expensive for anyone! So yes I will take a paid vacation and sick days off cause lets face it, most of the time its YOUR children getting us sick! I have 15 years experience I think that entitles me to a paid vacation! I just suggest that you always read your contract if paid sick days and vacation is added in to the contract and you don't like it go somewhere else! I am a Daycare Provider not a babysitter!!
Unregistered 12:47 PM 07-21-2008
Before this question can be adequately answered...I believe you need to establish the different levels of child care...

Are we speaking of a home mom that just babysits for extra cash?
Are we speaking of a small, unorganized provider, that may in fact keep several children...
OR
Are we speaking of an actual HOME DAYCARE.

I began my child care business 16 years ago..
From the very beginning I was REGISTERED Home (6 full time children). After 8 years, I upgraded my business to a LICENSED Home Child Care (12 fulltime children).

I have always had a PARENT HANDBOOK..with all my business policies..
Parents are required to read it, and sign an agreement that they have read and agree to it, before their child can begin in my care.

As the years have passed, I have revised my Parent Handbook many times...with up to 6 months notice to all my customers, before implementing new policies.

For the first few years I allowed parents to 'dock' my pay if I closed due to illness.
I would always tell them to prorate the fee based on the number of days I was open for business.

I took the MAJOR holidays...and always expected full pay for those...
Christmas...Thanksgiving...New Year's...etc..

I have never required parents to pay if I were closed for a full week vacation...
because of that...I do not take a yearly week vacation...
Frankly, I just can't afford to ..if I loose a full week of income from all my customers...

One year ago I had a hysterectomy.
I worked Monday...
Tuesday my sister came from out of town (17 years as a Kindergarten teacher, fully qualified to run my business) ...she ran my daycare for me, so that I could have surgery...
She was in charge Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday...
Thursday evening her son became ill with a stomach virus.
I sent her home...
and Friday morning...with the assistance of my husband...and my 4 daughters...I was back on the job...
3 days after major surgery...
On Monday my husband was back at his own job...
My 4 daughters helped me for 2 weeks...with lifting and cooking...
After that,...I was on my own again.

The daycare never closed...and my parents never really made any comment after the first few days...
I wonder how many of them would have been back to work 3 days after major surgery??

One year ago...in my most recent Parent Handbook revision...I added a section covering PERSONAL DAYS.
I allowed 10 personal days per year....at full fee..
These days can be used for illness....or personal use.
I explained that as always...if it were due to illness...I would notify them as soon as possible..
but...if it were for personal use...they would always have several weeks...if not several months advance notice..
I have always taken great care to never schedule a day off with any less than 3 full weeks advance notice, except in the case of family emergency..
ie...funeral...

After 16 years...many of my clients are repeat customers...
They began in my child care with their first child...and brought younger siblings as their families grew...so many of my clients are fully aware of the fact that it is very rare for me to close suddenly due to illness...often only once every year or two...

I will be closed next Monday and Tuesday, July 28 and 29 for personal days.
I originally posted the note notifying my parents of this closure on April 11...
More than adequate notice.

On July 1 I posted a vacation notice to my parents...
My husband and I have planned a trip for our children at Christmas...which will require me to be closed the entire week.
Normally I would not require the parents to pay for that...
However...
I have always required full pay for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, so..I am requiring that the parents pay half the usual fee for that week in order for me to be paid for my holiday...
I could combine my 8 remaining personal days ...and require full pay for that week..and I did consider that...but...
I chose not to do that.

I believe that the bottom line is this..
EDUCATE YOURSELF..

The one post stated that she was entrusting the care of her child with this caregiver...and she wanted to ensure that the caregiver was well taken care of.

I can't begin to imagine that anyone would ever want to short change...or dock the pay of the person they trust to care for their precious child...
That is beyond my comprehension...

But...before you hire any person to provide child care for your child...ask for something in writing...not only for your own protection, but that of the caregiver...

A quality care giver should have a well thought out set of guidelines for what they expect.
If they do not...then you get what you pay for..

I have always been a firm believer that the bottom line is..THIS IS MY DAYCARE BUSINESS..
I establish my own hours..
I establish my fee..
I establish my policies...
A potential client must read and agree to all my policies before we can begin to be in business together..
IF YOU DON'T AGREE WITH MY POLICIES...find alternate care...
It's that simple..

so to all CHILD CARE PROVIDERS out there...
Get something in writing..
Google it..
I did..
There are allot of very very poorly written PARENT HANDBOOKS out there on the internet..
I'm amazed at what some of these providers have posted...
but...
it does serve one purpose...it showed me what NOT to put in my own PARENT HANDBOOK...as well as giving me some great ideas that I might not have otherwise thought of...
Whatever you decide...put it in writing...require parents to agree to it..
OR..
don't enroll their child in to your care..
Unregistered 07:17 PM 07-21-2008
I would just like to say that us caregivers also have costs related to our jobs........food(to feed your kids not mine), transportation (if you do before and after school), damage to our homes and things in our homes(caused by YOUR children), carpet cleaning (that has to be done at least once a month), Education (because you do have to have some type of it), toys ( i could go on forever). Adding in that my home is open to your children 72 hrs a week I sometimes have these kids more than there own parents!!! Oh and for only pennies on the dollar, because if we charged what we are entitled to Daycare would be to expensive for anyone! So yes I will take a paid vacation and sick days off cause lets face it, most of the time its YOUR children getting us sick! I have 15 years experience I think that entitles me to a paid vacation! I just suggest that you always read your contract if paid sick days and vacation is added in to the contract and you don't like it go somewhere else! I am a Daycare Provider not a babysitter!!
I know in my situation that I do want great care for my kids. I also have gotten to a point with gas prices and such that having to pay my caregiver's vacation (which I do not get paid vacations myself) I wouldn't be able to work that week. So I lost out on a weeks pay and have to pay a charge for services not received. I do feel that if a provider wanted to add paid vacation they should add it to the hourly rate. If somebody was paid 2.70 per hour for one child the provider would only have to add $.17 per hour for 120 hours of paid time off. That is much easier than being hit with a weeks charges for services not received. There are multiple children there so I am aware that 2.70 is not the total amount a caregiver makes. Take my situation at hand. I do social work (private agency) where I work to protect children from abuse/neglect.. I do not work from the safety of my own home. I actually risk my life everyday for NO benefits. I go into these abusive homes alone and I also monitor state mandated supervised visits. The reason I have no benefits is because in my area the most we are allowed to work is 34 hours but that does not count time in court, etc. (since we are ordered by the court to be there we do not get paid) I do not mind the no benefits because I chose this career. Just as caregiver chose their career. Yes, my job does effect my home (where do these kids go if there are no foster homes available that night?) but I do not get paid for the use of my home or my time. I do get reimbursement for my car a whopping 38 cents a mile when gas is as high as it is these days. So, my point is that there are people out there that need childcare and simply cannot afford it because they have to pay for the caregiver to take time off. So, I guess that people like me can't have kids and work. That is what it has come to since after all my expenses I clear a whopping 50.00 per week. So, we are looking after YOUR kids making sure it is safe for them to go to school, ride the bus, sleep at night without abuse and we can't even afford to buy shoes for our children at the end of the week. For some of us choosing a new career is impossible since this is all we have ever known or had experience. So, when I hear about people complaining that someone comments about not agreeing with it when caregivers ask for paid vacations I just wish they would think about the fact that some of us wake up in the morning slap a smile on our face to comfort an injured child w/o any rewards including a paid day off. I quit using a caregiver based in her home back when I was caught in a snow storm trying to get to my child and she refused to feed her dinner and allowed her to watch her family eat all because I did not pay for that meal yet. This was a snowstorm that hit suddenly and many people were trying to get home to their families not just me. She allowed her to be hungry until I got there at 8:00 pm which was funny that her husband wasn't home yet and stuck in the storm. That to me was pure greed! Sad that the dollar can be more important than an innocent child or a family struggling to survive.
Texasjeepgirl 05:18 AM 07-22-2008
I understand what you are describing...
And there are allot of working parents out there that are in the exact same position as you are.
Hourly workers....If you aren't there...you don't get paid.
If you miss work due to your own illness, or that of your child...you loose part of your pay check..
Yet..you may be required to pay for child care even though your child did not attend.

Again I say...educate yourself.
There are allot of various levels of child care out there.
In larger cities there are drop in care facilities, which charge a day fee for service, and do not charge if your child is absent.
But..
If you choose a home provider .... find out ahead of time what is expected...and either agree to it...or keep shopping for alternate care.

You chose the job you do...KNOWING what the benefits of that job are.
Yet you continue to stay in that job, for whatever reason you are in it.
Do the same thing with your child care ... Shop until you find the best care giver to meet your needs.

This is why I will not enroll a child until a parent completely reads and AGREES TO my parent handbook.
If they do not want to pay for days their child does not attend...then I advise them to continue shopping for another care giver.
I am a LICENSED HOME PROVIDER and regulated on the number of children I can enroll.
If your child is absent, I can't just pick up the phone and call in an alternate child to fill your child's position for the day.
Unregistered 07:48 AM 07-22-2008
[quote=Unregistered;5147]I know in my situation that I do want great care for my kids. I also have gotten to a point with gas prices and such that having to pay my caregiver's vacation (which I do not get paid vacations myself) I wouldn't be able to work that week. QUOTE]

I do not charge by the hr and it sounds like to me that in your case someone that charges by the hour and doesn't not charge for vac. or holidays would be to your benfit. However, I set my own hours and my own policies if you don't agree don't sign! Also i would never, ever eat in front of a child like that its just rude. All of my daycare children are fed before i eat ( i sometimes don't eat until nap). I only keep a small group of children (6) and will not care for more than that! And my parents like it that way!
Unregistered 06:21 PM 07-22-2008
I have been a preschool teacher at a center-base childcare, and now have been running my own preschool/in-home daycare for 8 yrs. My experience, loving nature, warm environment, and extremely educational preschool, is what parents pay for. Yes, holidays, vacations, and sick days ARE needed. I had two teachers as back-ups for the first two years, and with the way our society is, I decided to run my preschool with only myself as the employee. Meaning-I know I do a terrific job, and when I need time off, I don't have to worry what is happening back at home. I get 2 weeks off for vacation, 1 week of sick pay, and all holidays, which include New Years, Good Friday, (close to bday), Memorial Day-up to 3 days, July 4-up to 3 days, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day and day after, and Christmas-up to 3 days. I work w/ my parents, and I always give a months notice for time off-or I put up a sign-up sheet to see who needs my care on those 3 day holidays-and if more than 3 sign up-I'm open. I make it loud and clear before they sign the contract, that they understand these days off-if they don't like the contract, they don't sign. I have been here 8 yrs, and have had a full house every year. RESPECT-I also give my families a free one week a year-one family at a time. RESPECT. They don't pay for funerals, or overtime. RESPECT. They also don't pay for field trips/projects---everything is included in weekly fee. Those who don't respect the early childhood years-need to stay home and educate their own offspring. I'm for the KIDS OF THE FUTURE.
Unregistered 01:02 PM 07-23-2008
I was under the understanding that this forum was for parents and guardians. This was our opportunity to talk with other parents and ask questions. I am noticing a trend of providers jumping in and yelling at people for not agreeing. Especially where the old dollar is involved. Just because one lady does not agree with paying for vacations does not mean that she is talking your customers out of paying for your time off. She is simply stating that she does not agree. You are pretty much telling her to shut up and that she is not allowed to come in here and have an opinion. When an opinion is asked do not be alarmed or testy if some do not have the same opinions as you do. Providers, please allow the parents to answer the questions without reprocussion!
Michael 05:30 PM 07-23-2008
Suggest you register as a forum member. As a registered member you can private message and also report a posting that many not be proper. It helps us at Daycare.com to better monitor and serve your needs.
Unregistered 08:00 AM 07-24-2008
I was under the understanding that this forum was for parents and guardians. This was our opportunity to talk with other parents and ask questions. I am noticing a trend of providers jumping in and yelling at people for not agreeing. Especially where the old dollar is involved. Just because one lady does not agree with paying for vacations does not mean that she is talking your customers out of paying for your time off. She is simply stating that she does not agree. You are pretty much telling her to shut up and that she is not allowed to come in here and have an opinion. When an opinion is asked do not be alarmed or testy if some do not have the same opinions as you do. Providers, please allow the parents to answer the questions without reprocussion!
I don't think that we are jumping in and yelling at people at all. I think that we are offering up insight as to the reasons we make the policies that we do. I think that alot of parents do not understand that this is our profession just like you chose your job, however it is not just about the money, if we didn't love what we do we wouldn't be doing it. And what makes me mad as a professional daycare provider is that parents don't read the contracts or listen what us daycare providers require from you parents for your children to attend our centers and when its time to pay up, we get challanged on our policies. There are alot of parents out there that want top quality care but don't want to pay for it. Us providers put ourselves and our families out there for you guys each day, all that it takes is one child to accuse us of abuse or neglect and we and our families pay. I'm not saying that you are one of these parents but I've been in the biz for 15 years and i can count on one hand as to the number of parents that are grateful that they have found a provider that they love! So, yes you are entitled to your opinion, so are we. And if we can offer the advice to help the parents out there to make a wise and informed choice as to where best place their child then maybe we can elimnate some of the ungratefulness.
pingaa3 10:06 PM 07-24-2008
As a parent I experienced:

*a provider who yelled at my child and made another child clean up her own vomit when the child was sick

*a provder who ignored the kids and never took them outside all day long nomatter what the weather

*a provider who started out charging $30 a day for 2 days a week and begged me not to switch and then 2 months later once she had lots more kids raised her price to hourly $5/hr making it $45+ per day

*a provider who didn't change my daughters diaper 3 out of 4 days and when getting my child down from climbing a chair scraped her so bad it drew blood onto her stomach and into her diaper

I don't have a problem with paid holidays since most people who work get paid holidays. I would pay a provider if I missed my scheduled day due to illness, because I don't want my child exposed to contagious kids and bringing it home. I've never chosen a provider who didn't provider backup when they were sick and I would never pay a provider vacation pay.

As a provider I have acted accordingly. I close for 2 weeks each year, once at Christmas and once in the summer. I do not charge. The parents have to either take time off or find alternate care which costs them. Why make them pay double? I have backup when sick. I charge for 10 holidays as allowed by our local state policies. I feel this is fair and state everything up front. If a parent does not like it, they go elsewhere.
Unregistered 05:00 AM 07-26-2008
Originally Posted by pingaa3:
As a parent I experienced:

*a provider who yelled at my child and made another child clean up her own vomit when the child was sick

*a provder who ignored the kids and never took them outside all day long nomatter what the weather

*a provider who started out charging $30 a day for 2 days a week and begged me not to switch and then 2 months later once she had lots more kids raised her price to hourly $5/hr making it $45+ per day

*a provider who didn't change my daughters diaper 3 out of 4 days and when getting my child down from climbing a chair scraped her so bad it drew blood onto her stomach and into her diaper
Amen, where do you live? LOL Now, this seems much better!
DCMom 12:22 PM 07-26-2008
I think this depends on the circumstances. All child care arrangements are different as are all family financial arrangements.

My provider is like a 2nd mom to my kids, her daughter babysits my kids evening and weekends, she comes to sporting events if the kids ask her to and she just generally, imo, goes above and beyond the 10.5 hours a day that I pay her for.

She has taught my girls all the basics for Kindergarten, she has a spanish and music teacher one day a week, she throws twice yearly parties for the kids and their families. Last year she hired a magician, the year before was clowns, Santa at Christmas.

She truly loves all the kids (all 10 of them!) and they are greeted with a hug every morning and sent home with one every night. She has potty trained, pulled loose teeth, washed clothes that have gotten too messy and made us some of the most awesome Christmas, Mothers and Fathers Day present. She even has the kids make us a card on our birthdays. We get a dvd of photos set to music every year. All for $125 a week/spot. To me, a bargain.

Does this woman deserve vacation, sick pay, paid holidays? You bet she does~I don't know what I would do without her.
kgravino 09:22 AM 07-31-2008
[quote]I would just like to say that us caregivers also have costs related to our jobs........food(to feed your kids not mine), transportation (if you do before and after school), damage to our homes and things in our homes(caused by YOUR children), carpet cleaning (that has to be done at least once a month), Education (because you do have to have some type of it), toys ( i could go on forever).QUOTE]

You provide a service for a fee, daycare provider or babysitter, which as far as I am concerned should go hand in hand. You took on the all the advantages and disadvantages when you decided to take on the responsiblity of a daycare provider/babysitter. It's your job! That's what YOU chose to do for a living. If you feel that it's our kids who are getting you SICK, and damaging your house, causing you to clean your carpet once a month, you have a problem feeding, transporting (feeding and transporting are optional) or educating our kids. You should get OUT of the business and find something that better suits you. You don't belong taking care of children. See how easy it is to find a provider you trust with your kids and can afford! If you have children that is, which by the way if you do, I feel sorry for.
samdcare 11:19 PM 08-01-2008
I have read many things here that add to my worries about keeping my 3 year old at a daycare. Please advice me about it and also tell me about a good daycare facility at Boston.
Samdcare
Unregistered 10:51 AM 08-04-2008
[quote]I would just like to say that us caregivers also have costs related to our jobs........food(to feed your kids not mine), transportation (if you do before and after school), damage to our homes and things in our homes(caused by YOUR children), carpet cleaning (that has to be done at least once a month), Education (because you do have to have some type of it), toys ( i could go on forever).QUOTE]

I think that you completely mistook what I have said.......Yes i do provide you with a service for a fee, but lets face it, its not like I'm comming to fix your toliet or mow your lawn. I take care of your children! Yes i did review the handbook on what happens to your wall when a 2 year old gets a hold of a ball point pen(given to him by his mother upon picking up the child from care).....And who do you think cleans it up? Yes that is one of the disadvantages to caring for children in your home, but it does have to fixed, cleaned up, etc..... Each state has standards to how you take care of your home, hence the carpet, no the children do not eat on the carpet, but they do walk on it, sleep on it, spit up on it, throw up on it and alot of them right now love to make pictures with their milk cups on it!! Now don't get me wrong I'm not complaining about this, I have been IN the business for 15 years, i do know what my job entails, however I do not have plans to change my profession. And yes, I DO have 2 beautiful children of my own that don't need your pity!! I'm still trying to understand how you attack someone on a personal level when you don't know anything about them!
Ches 05:55 PM 08-16-2008
Originally Posted by :
I would just like to say that us caregivers also have costs related to our jobs........food(to feed your kids not mine), transportation (if you do before and after school), damage to our homes and things in our homes(caused by YOUR children), carpet cleaning (that has to be done at least once a month), Education (because you do have to have some type of it), toys ( i could go on forever).QUOTE]

You provide a service for a fee, daycare provider or babysitter, which as far as I am concerned should go hand in hand. You took on the all the advantages and disadvantages when you decided to take on the responsiblity of a daycare provider/babysitter. It's your job! That's what YOU chose to do for a living. If you feel that it's our kids who are getting you SICK, and damaging your house, causing you to clean your carpet once a month, you have a problem feeding, transporting (feeding and transporting are optional) or educating our kids. You should get OUT of the business and find something that better suits you. You don't belong taking care of children. See how easy it is to find a provider you trust with your kids and can afford! If you have children that is, which by the way if you do, I feel sorry for.
That was so rude and so uncalled for.
Unregistered 11:58 AM 08-17-2008
Originally Posted by Ches:
That was so rude and so uncalled for.
But unfortunally this is what daycare providers deal with on a daily basis. Ungrateful parents that think we don't know what the heck we are doing!!!
lilbiddapopcorn 01:40 AM 08-26-2008
I understand that, i'm a daycare provider myself. I just think saying you'd feel sorry for the kids if she had any was a little overboard. It's just a discussion board, there's no need to take it so far. Everyone's entitled to their opinion and none of us are forced to work with parents that we don't feel are treating us fairly. I think most of us find the parents that don't appreciate their providers end up jumping around from provider to provider until they've exhausted their options and maybe they'll think about how much they really need child care providers. But if anyone should be equipped with more patience than others it should be us child care providers. Nobody gets their opinion across effectively by throwing insults.

But to the parents who don't agree with me taking paid days off, they don't have to bring their children to my home. They sign a contract, I go over it with them, and most of them get it. I'm not superwoman. I need "me time" just like every other person in this world. And I do a great job with the children I take care of, so I do feel like I deserve sick days without having to worry about pro-rating fees.
Unregistered 06:29 PM 10-20-2008
its leah here. i was just wondering about the affects on putting the child into childcre has on parents. im doing an independent research project on what effects does putting a child in daycare have on the child and parent. if u can help can u send me a messege to ????
id really appreciate it.

thankyou so much
from
leah
Unregistered 01:27 PM 10-21-2008
Originally Posted by lilbiddapopcorn:
I understand that, i'm a daycare provider myself. I just think saying you'd feel sorry for the kids if she had any was a little overboard. It's just a discussion board, there's no need to take it so far. Everyone's entitled to their opinion and none of us are forced to work with parents that we don't feel are treating us fairly. I think most of us find the parents that don't appreciate their providers end up jumping around from provider to provider until they've exhausted their options and maybe they'll think about how much they really need child care providers. But if anyone should be equipped with more patience than others it should be us child care providers. Nobody gets their opinion across effectively by throwing insults.

But to the parents who don't agree with me taking paid days off, they don't have to bring their children to my home. They sign a contract, I go over it with them, and most of them get it. I'm not superwoman. I need "me time" just like every other person in this world. And I do a great job with the children I take care of, so I do feel like I deserve sick days without having to worry about pro-rating fees.
I couldn't have said it better myself!
Unregistered 09:08 PM 10-21-2008
As a parent I do feel like my childcare provider should be paid for sick days and vacations, don't we all want that in our jobs? We want our children to be in a happy healthy home and for our providers to be that they all need sick and personal days, and especially they need a vacation! I have absolutely no problem paying my child care provider for thoes days! I want my children to be happy and I need my provider to be happy as well! If your provider is not happy, PLEASE PLEASE Shop around and find yourself another, there are plenty of affordable happy providers out there, they just need to be discovered!
Unregistered 10:06 AM 12-01-2008
ok. I have been on both sides. I have three children, and when I decided to do childcare they were 2,4, and 6 years old, but before that, they were in a home daycare. Yes, it was hard on us to pay for her vacations, and pay someone else to watch them during her vacations, so I just scheduled my vacations to coincide with hers so I wouldn't have to double pay. Now that I am doing childcare myself, I take off 2 weeks paid vacation a year, along with the major holidays. I have never closed due to illness. And I always give at least a 3-4 month notice of my vacation schedule. I will be the first to say, I was annoyed to have to pay for so much time off (my provider took days off all the time, with only a call that morning). I try to give my parents respect and know they need to get to work, so I work when I am sick and when my kids are sick and watch their kids too when they are not at their best. Bottom line is, the parents have my contract before they decide to use me and if they don't like it, they can go elsewhere. Also, I do have 3 of my own kids. And to ensure my kids still get to spend some time with me and not share me with 5-8 other children on a day-to day basis, I do need vacation time. If I didn't get paid for it, I would have a hard time paying my mortgage. If the parents want a daycare that doesn't close and where they don't pay for vacations, they can always go to a center. But of course that would cost them more money. The difference between myself and a center in Maryland is: I charge 100-150 a week, depending on age. and a center is about 150-250. In the end, parents need to make the choice. Save money weekly, knowing they will have to pay my vacations, or pay more money weekly, but know the daycare will not be closed for vacation. I know it's a tough decision. I interviewed probably 20 childcare providers before I decided the best option for my kids, would be for me to get my license and do it myself. I do, however, take my parents' personal financial situations into account. I have a single mom who pays $50 a week less than anyone else. I give her this break to help her out, but also because when she has a day off, she keeps the child home with her. She doesn't take advantage of me and we respect eachother. Also, for the person who said her job required her to have an education, I am very offended. I do have my Bachelors Degree and had a very professional career before doing childcare. I decided my children needed to come first and that money wasn't everything. We made cutbacks, but my kids get to come home to me rather than someone who is really a stranger. Financially it was a sacrifice, but I wouldn't trade the past 6 years for a million bucks. I can't put a price on spending just one additional hour with my kids, never mind spending all day with them.
Unregistered 08:29 PM 12-13-2008
I am a in home provider and a mother and i think all this should be discussed right from the begining in the parents package that they sign. If the parent agreed to the terms set out then they have a choice to leave. I do not charge anything if you cancel 12- 24 hours before you are scheduled to be here. if i or my child is sick i give notice and do not charge any parent. I also plan my own personal errands after 3pm on a certian day that none of the children are scheduled in!
Unregistered 11:52 AM 02-11-2009
HI...I ran into this with my current provider. It was not in my contract; she mentioned it after I had been there for a few weeks. I'm sure it was an oversight, but I decided not to fight it at this time. It was the first time I had been charged for a week of vacation and paid holidays, and I was shocked. BUT, I gave some careful consideration to it and listened to all the sides, and still feel it's not completely right. Both groups have cost of business expenses, but in-home day care providers (which is what I have) have the most premium of perks--time with their children. Is it divided attention with other people's children? Of course. But I'd take that over not seeing my son for 50 hours a week. If I could find a different way, I'd do it in a heartbeat. I'm a single mom; my son's father is a deadbeat dad, so finances are extremely tight. I struggle to pay the house payment each month and keep food on the table. I went to college to get an education and work at a job that pays benefits; I give up time with my son for that. There is no way I can afford to pay a week's vacation; I'd have to find someone else to pay for that week. I can compromise and pay for the holidays, because I'm off those days as well, but I just can't afford paying for time off. I plan to finish the school year with her and leave at the end for someplace else. I'm hoping her vacation days come after that time--

I am also finding that she is planning "field trips" when there are no-school days which is costing me 5-10 dollars more each week; plus I'm paying for the school field trips. Truthfully can't wait to get out of this daycare.
tymaboy 12:52 PM 02-11-2009
I am a parent (1 son 16 yrs) & am also an in home provider (for 2-3yrs)

As a parent I was not happy with many providers that I chose for many reasons that have been listed here.

When I found a good provider I did not mind paying extra for the care if that ment paid holidays, sick days etc. so be it. The provider saw my child more then I did & I wanted him to be happy where he spent his days.

I was a single parent at that time & yes it was very hard working min. wage job & paying for care but at the same time when you figure the amount that was charged for care during the day compared to paying for care in the evening to go out it was a much cheaper rate (still is) The providers during the day do so much more for the child then a sitter at night does.

As a provider I ask for paid holidays & just changed my policy to 1 week paid vacation, any other time I take off is unpaid. At the same time I offer the parents 1 free week of vacation so it pretty much comes out even. Yes this is my job, which charges the parents much less then min. wage (most of my parents make much more then min. wage) When you figure my $2.25 an hour (about $90-105 a week depending on the amount of hours the child is in care) compared to the $50 parents are willing to pay for a night out my wage is realy nothing & the child learns so much more then what they do with that evening care.
roswell12 11:01 PM 04-12-2009
I have been through the discussion here. Different people with different opinions and views. I think paying for sick days, holidays, vacation for small period is not a big issue. One should respect the people those who are taking care their children for maximum days in a week.
Unregistered 12:29 PM 04-14-2009
I am a provider for nearly 4 years.
Here is my take on it.
I operate my business on my own and I have had assistants in the past.
I would LOVE to get a week for some much needed time off, whether to take a much needed refresher break or to be able to some work on my child care areas. Either case, I have never taken the time off even though it is in my hand book to be able to... WITHOUT pay. I can't afford it for 1. Plus more parent's than not would consider leaving a program for another or have hard feelings over this. So I save peace. For me to entrust an assistant to work by herself while I be away... with all the horrer stories out there, honestly, I have been afraid to, even though my help has been good under supervised care, and even for me being away for a few hours here and there.
I take my child care very very seriously, and even for a child to get a scrape from playing while in my care, probably hurts me even more than it does the child. I long for the day to have a refreshing break for a week, but not sure if I will ever get to that point.

Fair... I think a weeks vacation with the families paying for that time isn't fair to the families. This is only my personal oppinion, and I am looking at it in respect to the parts having to pay double. Legal? yes. To each provider, their own... parent's, ask, read the contracts. If you can't afford to pay double for that week, but like the provider... make arrangements to pay a little extra in order to have that 1 week paid for ahead of time in order to make it easy on yourself. My opinion is that it is fair for a provider to be able to take a week's vacation and close their doors without pay for that week.

In the 4 years, I have only closed my doors due to myself being sick for 1 day. I was very very sick and I didn't have anyone to fill in for me. Other than that, I have had someone fill in due to my sickness 3 times. Most parents will find that a good provider is very reliable and works hard to please the parents as best as possible.

There are also a lot of good parents out there too. But when it comes to the money, it can really cause problems of not seeing eye to eye... we are all working so very hard for that dollar. Good parents already feel cheated at not getting to spend as much time with their child as they want and the provider feels abused and disrespected. When a money issue comes in to play mixing with these already existant feelings, it can create some bad friction.

What about days providers need to take a class... should the parents pay for those days?
Not all classes needed are in the evenings or on line.

As far as that provider not feeding that child... hopefully the provider was reported, if the child had gone "X" amount of time without food or drink, that is against regulations... not to mention that was terrible of that provider to behave this way. I can't help but think that if this really happened, there is more to this story than told.
Unregistered 08:36 AM 04-15-2009
There is a lot of talk here about signing a contract when you start care. The problem is that daycare IS a business, but it's a sensitive issue, because it involves the most precious thing in the world--OUR CHILDREN. My experience has been such that when I finally do find a provider who has the hours that I need, is in the appropriate vicinity to my home/work/their school and has an adequate facility, i have no choice but to sign whatever contract they put in front of me. This has put me in situations where i was sometimes taking home NOTHING at the end of the week after paying for daycare and gas to get to and from work.

Yes, i do believe that a great provider (and I've had quite a few GREAT providers) deserves time off with pay... major holidays and sick days here and there. However, I do not think it's fair to expect me to pay for a weeks paid vacation in the summer when during that week, I will either have to lose pay for that week or pay double to find a suitable replacement.

When I was living and working in Pennsylvania, I came across a state subsidy program for single working mothers, such as myself. I had a weekly co-pay of $35 (this was based on my income) and the state (THE TAXPAYERS) paid the rest, which included paid vacations/holidays if the provider chose to charge their private paying parents for those days. (I thought I had died and gone to heaven... imagine being able to feed my children something other than top ramen and buy them some NEW clothes every now and again) As a working mother who desperately needed the service, I was grateful to find it. As a taxpayer, I was more than happy to see that our tax dollars were going to such a cause... I'd rather see working mothers (and fathers... there are a few, ladies) benefit from tax dollars than the ever-present system-suckers who sit at home and hit walmart the minute their welfare checks come in every week. Talk about stimulating the economy... and also providing a workable solution for both parents and caregivers.
seashell 05:16 AM 05-13-2009
I posted this on another topic, but I thought it might work here too.

If you are not happy with paying for your providers holidays, then find a new provider. I am amazed at the parents out there who don't read the documents presented to them and then complain.

You need to pay the entire cost to rent a hotel room . . . you can't just pay for the hours you are in the room. It's still your room from the time you sign the register until you check out.

I don't charge my parents for my sick days or vacation. I do charge for holidays as most providers do.

But to make it "Fair" to parents and providers alike, lets try it this way. Parents, you don't have to pay for holidays but you do have to pay your provider at least minimum wage. Federal minimum wage is currently $6.65 per hour and will be 7.25 per hour in July. So to make it easy, lets just call it $7 per hour.

So, if you leave your child with your provider for 40 hours a week at $7 per hour your weeky fee would be $280.00.

I wonder how many of you are paying alot less than minimum wage when you break it down by hour?

Considering the great service they provide you. You child is loved, happy, educated and well cared for. That isn't even worth minimum wage to you?

Most providers care for kids because they enjoy it. They arn't out to screw parents. If they were, you'd be paying more than minimum wage per hour. So whats the compromise for affordable weekly care? Be considerate and appreciative and pay for holidays!
Unregistered 09:36 AM 05-18-2009
In most situations I don't think that "single moms" should be treated differently than married couples. You are an adult and made your choices. The tax payer shouldn't have to pay your childs way. If you are going to play and have children and be a single parent.....you should have to support it 100% just like the married couples do.
Unregistered 05:50 AM 05-30-2009
In most situations I don't think that "single moms" should be treated differently than married couples. You are an adult and made your choices. The tax payer shouldn't have to pay your childs way. If you are going to play and have children and be a single parent.....you should have to support it 100% just like the married couples do.
I seriously doubt that most of the single moms (or dads) out there made the "choice" to be single parents. There are plenty of married couples out there who look for help too. Your statement is uneducated, judgemental and ignorant.
mac60 05:28 AM 06-01-2009
I wouldn't sign my name either to this statement "unregistered".
Personally, I am sick and tired of the "single parent syndrome" please feel sorry for me.

I know way too many "single parents" who have made nothing but bad choices. While maybe being a single parent wasn't a choice, it was a choice to become pregnant, or if you had a child while married but in a bad relationship, all products of "bad choices". Uneducated and ignorant choices.

If we were all treated the same when it came to things, people wouldn't feel this way, but it is the poor me syndrome once again. Seriously, your statement is uneducated, judgemental, and ignorant.....
Unregistered 04:24 AM 06-02-2009
You are stereo typing here. For every parent who plays the single parent card, there are many who don't and care for their children without asking or needing help. Again, there are many 2 parent families who cry poor and look for help. I have families in my center who are on state assistance. More 2 parent families than single parents.

It isn't nice to pick on an entire group based on the actions of the minority of the group.
GretasLittleFriends 07:40 AM 06-02-2009
I can see both sides of the fence.

I was a single mom. I made a bad choice in high school. My parents were great and let me stay at home rent free as long as I stayed in school. This included college. I'll admit, while I finished high school I did qualify for county child care assistance. But their rules were very strict, and they did call my school everyday and check my attendance. I did not apply or qualify for any other program then.

I graduated on time (at 17yrs old). I enlisted into the National Guard and managed to put myself through college without ever taking out a loan. I had bigger goals in life than to be a "poor pitiful me" single mom. I didn't want to be labeled with that young single mom stereotype.

Later in life I married a man which turned out to be a horrible monster and is still in prison for his crime against a child. He ended up going to prison the same time I found out #2 was on the way. I divorced him due to the crime it wasn't something I could put my family at risk for to try to save the marriage. I guess I would call the marriage a bad choice but at the time of the wedding I didn't know he had a monster hiding inside of him. Well, here I am again a single mom. Had a house, living pay check to pay check, but scraping by. My children were provided for, ie they had food, clothes, shelter. Sure my kids didn't have all the greatest new video games, but eh, thats ok. I had insurance through work so their medical and dental needs were met too. There were times that I tried to get a little assisntce to help cover daycare costs, nothing else. I just wanted a little help. Even if I would have had to pay a 50 - 75% copay. I didn't want food stamps, WIC, medical or anything. But because I made $50 over the cut-off I didn't qualify for assistance. The one lady actually laughed at me on the phone. Mind you at this time I was still in the National Guard, and being a great citizen.

What frustrated me more than anything was that I had worked my whole life trying to better myself, and couldn't get a small hand to get a step up. Yet people who lived two doors down from me abused the system like crazy. And they had two new vehicles too. Neither parent worked, they had 4 kids, and going into their house seeing all the new furniture, toys, games, etc made it look like I was the one on welfare.
mac60 08:18 AM 06-02-2009
You are to be commended for serving for our country. Thank you.

You sound like a wonderful parent, and honestly, parents like you are the ones that deserve that extra help. I have no problem with our society helping anyone, it is the lazy ones that think they are entitled to it and sit back and wait for it to be handed to them. I hope by now things have turned upward for you and that you are back on your feet. I am sorry to hear about your marriage, but I do understand that when we marry someone, we may not really know them. I hope your life is making a upward turnaround.
GretasLittleFriends 10:38 AM 06-02-2009
Life couldn't be better now. I'm no longer in the military, I did 10 yrs and said that was enough. I've gotten remarried to a long time friend. (Our parents live 1 mile apart and we've known eachother basically forever.) I'm now self-employed (daycare provider) and so is my husband, so very little if any of our money goes to selfish people who won't help themselves.
mac60 12:37 PM 06-02-2009
That is a sweet story. The cycle of friends....
Unregistered 04:53 AM 06-05-2009
my question here is where r all the kids while you guys are on here bickering?? i look at the times each person has responded and that would really worry me as a parent!
GretasLittleFriends 07:29 AM 06-05-2009
I can understand your concern. I operate 24/7. I'm rather new, and don't have a very high enrollment. I've got 6 kids and there not all here at the same time. 5 out of the 6 kids don't show up until after 1 or 2 pm.
Unregistered 07:44 AM 06-05-2009
[quote=Unregistered;12119]my question here is where r all the kids while you guys are on here bickering?? i look at the times each person has responded and that would really worry me as a parent![/QUOTE

It's naptime here!
mac60 08:49 AM 06-05-2009
my question here is where r all the kids while you guys are on here bickering?? i look at the times each person has responded and that would really worry me as a parent!
Nothing better to do eh? Don't know that it is any of your business what I do during the day. And who says that the times are right anyways, it depends on what time frame you have them sent on. Also, who is bickering.
tymaboy 12:27 PM 06-05-2009
Keep in mind that the times you see is for your time zone - we are all scattered about the country/world with different time zones. Plus it all depends on the amount of kids we each have, time of day it is for us (like now I only have 1 & she is napping) There are other factors as to when we post.
mac60 12:38 PM 06-05-2009
The time shown depends on what is checked in your UserCP, which may or may not be correct.
byoshimura 07:55 AM 06-15-2009
Originally Posted by mac60:
All the talk of charging for sick days, vacation, holidays, etc. Just what do you---Parents---think is "fair" and why?

Do you think home providers should get sick days? Paid vacations? Paid personal days? Should the parent have to pay if the child doesn't attend due to vacation, holidays, illness, etc. Just wondering what the parents point of view on this is.

On the providers note, parents need to remember that out of our weekly income, we have to pay taxes, insurance, buy food, supplies, maintain our home from the daycare use, pay higher utilities, etc.
As previous parents, and now operator of a home day care, we feel parents should not pay for a providers vacation time. The reasoning behind this is that for those two weeks the parents have to find alternate care or arrangements, and still pay? We feel bad enough that you have to find alternate arrangements, that charging for our vacation is not fair.

However if the parents want to take a vacation, or their child is sick, I think it is fair to ask for payment. Because capacity is key for providers and having one slot occupied and not getting paid is unfair to the provider.

Now maybe I would agree to a reduced fee while the child takes a family vacation, but only for two weeks.
Chickenhauler 10:37 PM 06-16-2009
Originally Posted by mac60:

Having been on both sides of the fence in my life, I don't feel that it is the parents place to "pay" for the contractors (that's what this is, a contracted service provider) vacation, sick days, holidays, etc.

Daycare is a business just like any other, and just because the provider isn't there, doesn't mean that the child doesn't need to be taken care/watched by someone else at an additional expense to the parent. Think what it would feel like if you had to pay DOUBLE rate for child care because your provider took the week off?

If you can get parents to agree to pay you without having to provide the service, kudos-you're doing well.

I know of no other business where a service provider under contract (independant contractor) gets paid for holidays, paid vacations, etc.

Now, if the child is not in attendance for a reason outside the providers control (care was open, kid didn't come) on a day when the parent contracted that child would be there, they should be charged.

Originally Posted by GretasLittleFriends:
Life couldn't be better now. I'm no longer in the military, I did 10 yrs and said that was enough. I've gotten remarried to a long time friend. (Our parents live 1 mile apart and we've known eachother basically forever.) I'm now self-employed (daycare provider) and so is my husband, so very little if any of our money goes to selfish people who won't help themselves.
I've heard rumor he can come off as a pretty gruff guy, but is actually really nice in person.
mac60 03:12 AM 06-17-2009
I don't consider us to be the "typical" service providers, like a plumber, home maintenance man, repair man, etc. For starters, we get NO WHERE near their incomes. When my plumber/furnace man comes to my home to fix something, I am charged minimum $75, and that is the service call. If he is there more than 1 hour, the hourly fees start adding up. 20 years ago we hired a contractor to come in and do some handyman work. Their rate was $25 per hour back then. I just don't feel it is a fair comparison of a home daycare provider to a independent contractor like mentioned.

It is like a parent rents the spot from the provider. And since most of us are limited to how many "spots" we can have, each spot is worth a certain $$ amount. Just because a family goes on vacation and doesn't stay in their home for 7 days, the bank does not deduct those 7 days from their housepayment, or the cable tv doesn't deduct those 7 days from their bill, same for electric and phone.

When parents take vacation from their jobs, their employers have to find someone to cover their spot while they are gone, they pay the employee on vacation a vacation pay, and they pay another person to cover for them. So I guess it is ok for the parents employer to do it for them, but not for the provider.

I guess I look at it that 1) We are not the typical contracted worker. We have low wages, expenses, and the biggie absolutely no benefits. 2) We have to look out for ourselves, our business, and our families. 3) We have rules and regs to follow that limit us in how much income we can bring in. At $17 per day, my wage is $1.78 per hour, a far cry from the $75 service call or the $25 per hour fee of 20 years ago contractor.

I am sure it depends on which side of the fence you are on: parent or provider as to how a person feels on this. Having been on Both sides---a parent with kids in dc for 8 years, I would be happy to pay a provider for a weeks vacation. If they are good, dependable, and a loving caring provider....they certainly deserve it.
RGrift 06:18 AM 07-13-2009
I am curious about your thoughts on day cares that are not licensed. Now this happens to be a friend of a friend who has been watching my kids for over 5 years. My girls are 10 years old and quite self-sufficient but of course must have an adult present. Since she is unlicensed I cannot reap the benefits of a tax write-off for the expenses. However, she probably does not cost as much as a licensed day care. My concerns are that I DO pay her at Christmas when my work place is closed for a week and the children do not go to day care. That is fine. However, during the summer when my children take vacation she expects to be paid for the time they are not there. In addition, there are many times when I have already paid her at the beginning of the week only to have her want a day off by the end of the week. Over the course of a year she is definitely paid many times for the days she is closed. This can add up to as much as 4 - 5 weeks that she is paid each year and is not watching my children. Should I be addressing this issue or should I consider myself lucky? Unlicensed day cares do not have restrictions on the amount of children and ages they can have so it is not as if I am paying her to "hold my 2 spots" at her home. I want to be fair but I am a single mother with one income so I want to be true to myself as well as my daughters' well being.
tymaboy 11:50 AM 07-13-2009
Originally Posted by RGrift:
Since she is unlicensed I cannot reap the benefits of a tax write-off for the expenses.
Not all states need to be licenesed but you should still claim the money you paid at tax time. Some people agree to pay a much lower rate so the provider does not claim the money as income at end of yr (which is illegal)

Originally Posted by :
My concerns are that I DO pay her at Christmas when my work place is closed for a week and the children do not go to day care. That is fine. However, during the summer when my children take vacation she expects to be paid for the time they are not there. In addition, there are many times when I have already paid her at the beginning of the week only to have her want a day off by the end of the week. Over the course of a year she is definitely paid many times for the days she is closed. This can add up to as much as 4 - 5 weeks that she is paid each year and is not watching my children. Should I be addressing this issue or should I consider myself lucky?
Did you sign any type of a contract with her? If so read the contract to see what it say about paid days off if any. If it says nothing about paid days off then mention it to her. If you have no contract then you need to get one. Each provider is different when it comes to paid days off, some have so many sick days, some have paid holidays, some do not charge at all for time when the child is not in care. Maybe you should call around to see what the going rate for child care is in you area & find out if the charge for days the child is not in care. Bottom line is you need a contract with all of this outlined in it.

Originally Posted by :
Unlicensed day cares do not have restrictions on the amount of children and ages they can have so it is not as if I am paying her to "hold my 2 spots" at her home.
In my state it does not matter if I am licensed or not, all providers have a restriction on the amount of children they can have.
SimpleMom 06:36 AM 07-14-2009
IN regard to the comments about independent business owners and relating child care services/pay to that of a construction worker...first of all the pay comparison is inequal to begin with. Child care providers have many costs that come out of their pockets that if they charged and included that in their weekly pay parents wouldn't be able to afford the care to begin with. Providers are lucky if they get even half the amount per week they make just to pay their own bills let alone the cost of running a daycare.

Second of all Providers do have a heart. They really want the best care possible for your child and a rate that's affordable for you, the parent. Adding some paid time off is crucial to the mental health of a provider and the children they care for. As providers, we need that time. With below minimum wage, which many of us make), it's hard to take time off without that pay.

Thirdly many parents get friends, family, or take their paid vacation time to care for their children when providers go on vacation and they try to do that WHEN the provider is on vacation. So, paying double usually doesn't apply in most circumstances.

Remember, childcare is a very taxing job with a very high turnover rate from low pay and burnout. I know it's tough to understand it from a parent's perspective ( I had my child in daycare for 7 years before I opened up my own and believe me, I used to have some of the same complaints...and NOW I get it).
SimpleMom 01:38 PM 07-14-2009
in regard to Leah's message;
As a parent putting my child into daycare it was heart-wrenching. I missed her, felt guilty, sad at times esp. if she was crying when I left or the provider called me at work with her crying in the background for being in a time-out.

I got used to it after awhile, but it was always hard to do. I had no luck with the home daycares and switched to a center. Even though I loved the care she recieved there (and I worked there), it was still hard to do.

I know there are good home daycare providers out there. I believe I am one of them, my mom was wonderful as a daycare parent as well, I know at least three personally in town here that are great, but I do understand the fear involved with putting your child in daycare...home or center based.
SimpleMom 04:05 PM 07-14-2009
That is a fair question. I am off today as my little one was sick. Last week I was on vacation, but couldn't afford to leave the house...

I think sometimes...hopefully all of the time providers are off that day or the kids are all resting when they post.

Other times, I check in for resources while the kids are resting, playing quietly and safely near me. I often do my paperwork (meal counts and records for the food program, my own daycare records of payments and contracts, etc., meal prep/planning, phone back parents if needed, daycare laundry, setting up for the afternoon theme/projects). After all of that is done and sometimes in between those times I try to just sit still and breath so I am refreshed and ready to roll after rest time is over.

Sometimes, I just need a little grown up talking time as well

I find this site is really useful in understanding where the parents are coming from as well as the provider site in support and questions as well.
MissAnn 10:16 AM 01-11-2011
Originally Posted by :
I wasn't aware that so many in-home daycares provide meals since mine doesn't, what a bonus!!
I do provide meals.....and very nutritious ones at that! No white bread, chicken nuggets or hot dogs. I am under a food program that reimburses for SOME of the food, but maybe only 50%. It is an added cost, but it's a draw for parents. Kids will eat things at childcare that they won't eat at home. My kids ate hominy the other day! Thanks for you encouraging post. It is very difficult to be in the provider's position, having to explain why we charge for days we have off.
dEHmom 11:46 AM 01-11-2011
I've stated this before, if you considered how much you pay your daycare provider an hour, verses what you are willing to pay someone to do your nails, hair, fix your toilet, et cetera, you might look at it differently.

As a daycare provider we don't get cheap health benefits through an employee plan like most can. If we choose to do so, we are purchasing it at a might higher rate than those who work for a big company.
We also don't get to bank away time, don't get paid time and a half or double time of those special holidays.
Our business is in our home, we opened it to you, but there are still the costs of everyday wear and tear, damages, etc.

Me personally, I look at it this way, you are paying 500/mth if you want a full time spot. I don't go into any details regarding holidays, sick days etc. If I am sick (which I have never been knock on wood), then I would not charge you for that day. If you are sick, sorry, you booked a spot. Vacations you got 1 week off with a full 4 weeks notice so I can adjust my expenses if needed, 1 additional week int he year at 1/2 the rate, and anything over 2 is full rate you're paying. At 25/day at an average of 10 hrs/day with your child in my care, that's 2.50/hr. Anything over 8 hrs is technically overtime anywhere else you work, but not in daycare. So should we start charging anything over 8 hrs at time and a half? What about when your child leaves and we have to clean up, prepare for tomorrow and go grocery shopping for tomorrow fruits/veggies? We can't deduct time outside of the home, and no one delivers groceries to me. For a plumber there is a minimum 75 charge as mentioned previously, regardless if he's here 5 minutes or an hour. Then you pay additional charges based on whatever the problem is. Last time I called a plumber he was here for an hour, I had to hand over 200 dollars. That's not even 1 weeks pay for me! If you have a gym membership, would you get refund/credit for days you are not there because you didn't have time, weren't feeling well, or were on vacation? or do you pay a flat out fee every month/year regardless? But I also have to say a lot of it comes down to common sense, common courtesy, and just being a nice person. You can't always be nice when running a business or you wouldn't have a business to run. Unfortunately a lot of people are just looking for handouts. I have a contract stating that you pay for your spot regardless. But if you phone me on Saturday or even Sunday and say so and so is running a fever, I'm not sure if she'll be coming on Monday, OK! If you've already paid me, then I'll cut you a break next week, if you haven't then I'll adjust the owing balance for you. But that's me being nice. Also, for the ones who think that unlicensed daycare aren't worthy of providing services.....the parents who work for minimum hourly pay and don't get sick pay etc, I'm not saying any daycare provider has to, but I understand single moms with children who work at McDonalds aren't going to be able to afford 500/mth for daycare for 1 child, let alone 1000 for 2 children. She's not going to have any money left to put food on her table. Being an unlicensed provider I can choose to offer her a cheaper rate, out of the kindness of my heart. Certainly do not have to, but I would and I have. So really I'm watching your first child at a discounted rate, and then watching a 2nd or 3rd for free. I know that was off topic but I feel that a lot of people don't see the fact that daycare providers, licensed or unlicensed, are providing a service to you, and are often unappreciated, and unrecognized as an important factor in your child's life.

Sorry, but I think it's not fair when a parent is complaining about the hour they picked up early, or having to pay for the extra hour because they were late and stopped to pick up supper on the way home. I don't think it's fair that they think we are ripping them off when they have to pay for days that they are not here. If it was ME inconveniencing them with illness or vacation I would never charge them for it, but I don't think it's fair to ask me to take a cut in my already low wages because you are not bringing your child.

I understand both sides, as I know I cannot afford daycare for my 3 children, hence me staying home. I understand how much it costs, and how every penny counts.
mac60 05:51 PM 01-11-2011
Very well said.....after I spent 3 hours after I closed, shampooing carpet due to child puking on it, snowblowing the drive 2 times to make entrance safe, several loads of dc laundry which inclued the puky towels, mopping the floor, disinfecting the toys, and I got no $$$ for it.
dEHmom 05:34 AM 01-12-2011
Thanks mac60.

I forgot to mention up there, when I mentioned the deductions, For me, I don't make enough to deduct anything! So I just want people to realize as well, that if you have 2 or 3 kids in my care, and I offer you a discount, not only am I not bringing up my income to a level where I can take off even 50 dollars of taxes, I'm the one getting screwed!

Sorry for the language, I don't know how else to state that.
Because I have my own children, I cannot take on enough full time children that I can make enough income to start deducting. Next September one of my children will be starting school on an every other day basis. So that means every 2nd day I could take on an extra kid (casual or part time) but that's going to be to find a person who needs the same day I have free every week.
Unregistered 09:22 AM 01-13-2011
I see both sides of this issue and as a daycare provider it bothers me when parents talk bad about their provider. If you are unhappy find a provider you can work with. There are so many good ones out there.
I do not get paid vacation or sick but I do get paid holidays. I understand that it is hard to pay a provider when not getting services. I care deeply for all the children in my care and open my home to them. I do expect respect from my parents and open communication. If you have a problem discuss it. If you cant live with it then find new daycare. You should have a close relationship like family with your provider and if you don't, I feel bad for all involved.
I am not in this for the money as if after expenses its a huge salary, its because I enjoy it and get to spend my day laughing and playing with children.
Its a family business and all parties have to be happy in order to make it work.
Good Luck....
www.daycareheadquarters.com
dEHmom 11:21 AM 01-13-2011
If you are unhappy find a provider you can work with. There are so many good ones out there.
You should have a close relationship like family with your provider and if you don't, I feel bad for all involved.
I am not in this for the money as if after expenses its a huge salary, its because I enjoy it and get to spend my day laughing and playing with children.
Its a family business and all parties have to be happy in order to make it work.
Good Luck....
www.daycareheadquarters.com
I agree with is. I am in this because I love children, but at the same time, also for the money, this is my income, it's how I put food on my table.

All parties DO have to be happy and feel as though they are very close friends or family. I couldn't imagine leaving my child with someone that I wouldn't want to talk to, or be around otherwise.
Unregistered 08:55 PM 01-26-2011
So your employer also is paying for a "service" - you are being paid to do a job/service. Your employer also has costs. So maybe they shouldn't pay you for days off, sick days, personal days, vacation time etc... Suck it up and get used to it. When your kid is in school, you'll need to cover a lot more days off with/without pay. Instead of whining about paying TUITION (because if you're in a GOOD center that's what it is) be grateful that your child is being taken care of of 10 hours a day. We're not babysitters. If you want one, look on sittercity and pay $15 AN HOUR. And good luck with that - cheapskate.
Angelwings36 09:09 AM 02-17-2011
Originally Posted by kgravino:
Originally Posted by :
I would just like to say that us caregivers also have costs related to our jobs........food(to feed your kids not mine), transportation (if you do before and after school), damage to our homes and things in our homes(caused by YOUR children), carpet cleaning (that has to be done at least once a month), Education (because you do have to have some type of it), toys ( i could go on forever).

How rude! YOUR children do get us sick, do damage our homes and cause us to clean carpets, etc. No we do not have a problem feeding or educating the children...has anyone ever said that? She doesn't 'belong' taking care of children? What gives you the right to say that to someone you don't even know? And what exactly in her comments suggested she is not good at her job? 'I feel sorry for your children' honestly lady HOW BLOODY RUDE! You have no right to state any of these comments. If your upset with PROFESSIONAL PROVIDERS that care about the health and well being of YOUR children, take care of their BUSINESS and also take care of themselves when needed, maybe you should stay home and take care of your own children (that is if you have any). Good luck finding a provider with that attitude!
Unregistered 02:38 PM 02-22-2011
I disagree with some of the people posting about this subject. What people dont understand is that a lot of people have jobs that have some kind of benefits or they earn those benefits after a certain amont of time and why shouldnt we as providers deserve the same respect? From a providers perspective when a child is sick it is still the childs spot, thats why daycares expect payment when the child is sick. I understand that money is tight but it is for providrs to. Being a provider is a profession just as these parents have jobs.
In my contract I ask for 1/2 the weeks tuition if the child will be on vacation, I dont charge for vacations but parents have to have there own back up (they know this upon enrollment) It is a huge loss for me when I go on vacation but I do it b/c to me it feels right. Remember that home daycares are small businesses.
Unregistered 08:42 AM 03-02-2011
I'm very torn on this subject, just like a lot of others. I do value my daycare providers: I know my son is getting nutritious meals, time outside, he's learning new things every day, he still gets time to just be a kid, I know he's safe and well cared for.

I have read through a lot of posts and I honestly can see both sides of the argument. My situation at the moment is one where my daycare providers did not specify sick time in their contract but have now taken sick days (where I had to find and pay for alternate care) and expected (and received) pay for those days. I asked about it, since it was not in their contract and the wife (its a husband and wife team so "group home") said they get paid for sick days. I said that its not in the contract so how many days? She said they would have to address that and ammend their contract. Well, new contracts came out and now it does say that staff and child sick days will be paid. No limit to the number of sick days for "staff" (husband and wife..and if one of them is sick they have closed since they need both to be there in order to have all 12 kids....I suppose if one was sick and unable to work the other could maybe still work but only keep 6 kids and which six then?) and I'm bothered by that. I'm not sure how to handle it.

Also, I wanted to point out in the argument about how we should pay minimum wage to our providers.....it would be one thing if my daycare provider was working for JUST me...I could see that argument making sense then. But seeing as my daycare providers are serving 11 other children that doens't make sense. The $2.60/hr I pay plus the $2.60/hr the parents of the other 11 children pay adds up to $31.20/hr...divide that by the two people caring for our children and they are still each making $15.60/hr. I understand that they have costs associated with caring for the children which would reduce their wages but I'm still willing to bet they make more than I do. So I'm not inclined to feel sorry for my daycare providers for making such "little" wages.

I really don't mind paying them for a week of vacation or the paid holidays I also get paid but at this point i am starting to feel a bit taken advantage of.
QualiTcare 01:55 PM 03-02-2011
I'm very torn on this subject, just like a lot of others. I do value my daycare providers: I know my son is getting nutritious meals, time outside, he's learning new things every day, he still gets time to just be a kid, I know he's safe and well cared for.

I have read through a lot of posts and I honestly can see both sides of the argument. My situation at the moment is one where my daycare providers did not specify sick time in their contract but have now taken sick days (where I had to find and pay for alternate care) and expected (and received) pay for those days. I asked about it, since it was not in their contract and the wife (its a husband and wife team so "group home") said they get paid for sick days. I said that its not in the contract so how many days? She said they would have to address that and ammend their contract. Well, new contracts came out and now it does say that staff and child sick days will be paid. No limit to the number of sick days for "staff" (husband and wife..and if one of them is sick they have closed since they need both to be there in order to have all 12 kids....I suppose if one was sick and unable to work the other could maybe still work but only keep 6 kids and which six then?) and I'm bothered by that. I'm not sure how to handle it.

Also, I wanted to point out in the argument about how we should pay minimum wage to our providers.....it would be one thing if my daycare provider was working for JUST me...I could see that argument making sense then. But seeing as my daycare providers are serving 11 other children that doens't make sense. The $2.60/hr I pay plus the $2.60/hr the parents of the other 11 children pay adds up to $31.20/hr...divide that by the two people caring for our children and they are still each making $15.60/hr. I understand that they have costs associated with caring for the children which would reduce their wages but I'm still willing to bet they make more than I do. So I'm not inclined to feel sorry for my daycare providers for making such "little" wages.

I really don't mind paying them for a week of vacation or the paid holidays I also get paid but at this point i am starting to feel a bit taken advantage of.
i don't blame you - these "paid sick days" with no limit is a little ridiculous - and we're not talking sick days for ONE person, but for two people which could add up to a few weeks really quick. i could see building in 5 days or something reasonable, but they pretty much made a contract where they can just yell "sick day" any time and get a paid day off.
Unregistered 04:08 PM 03-02-2011
Childcare - daycare, babysitting, in-home or center is most definitely a "specific, agreed upon service". This includes love, puke, poop, carpet, crayons, kind words, tantrums and anything else that comes with the well charted territory.

There should absolutely be a contract that specifies contingencies for sick days (either party) vacation time, or other emergencies. It is also fairly reasonable to limit paid sick time, expect the service to be provided as agreed and establish some sort of tenure for paid vacation. Many parents have a limit on what they can budget for care - asking them to pay double for that same service (cover a provider and a back-up) is unreasonable. Changing the terms of your agreement after you have established a routine and relationship with small children is unethical beyond reasonable periodic renewals. Establish that period in your original agreement.

There are options for assistants, and ways to make this situation work. Doing your job well, being rested, having personal time are part of preparing for any employment. It is clear that many of you love your work, would not or cannot afford to do anything else. Many working parents would give anything to be able to be with their kids, too.

Also - you might spend a day as a painter or plumber.....and take into consideration the costs associated with any other field (plus childcare for your own children). Caring for children is a wonderful and respected vocation, and a privilege. If you aren't happy with your earnings, there are other jobs.

(And when was the last time you paid for 1/5th or 1/6th of a manicure?

just sign me - doing my own nails, and saving for childcare expenses
Meeko 12:31 PM 03-03-2011
Originally Posted by unregistered:
i would just like to say that us caregivers also have costs related to our jobs........food(to feed your kids not mine), transportation (if you do before and after school), damage to our homes and things in our homes(caused by your children), carpet cleaning (that has to be done at least once a month), education (because you do have to have some type of it), toys ( i could go on forever). Adding in that my home is open to your children 72 hrs a week i sometimes have these kids more than there own parents!!! Oh and for only pennies on the dollar, because if we charged what we are entitled to daycare would be to expensive for anyone! So yes i will take a paid vacation and sick days off cause lets face it, most of the time its your children getting us sick! I have 15 years experience i think that entitles me to a paid vacation! I just suggest that you always read your contract if paid sick days and vacation is added in to the contract and you don't like it go somewhere else! I am a daycare provider not a babysitter!!
amen!!!!!!!!
Meeko 12:47 PM 03-03-2011
I require payment for 7 of the main holidays each year. I do not require payment if I take any personal time off.

I do however require a set monthly fee regardless of hours or attendance.

I only have a set number of places in my day care. While a child is gone for a day or two, the chances of me filling that spot for just those two days is slim to nil. So not getting paid means extra money for the parent, but I get nothing and yet they still expect me to keep the slot open for their child?

I ask parents to see it as paying rent on a spot in the day care, not payment for exact hours spent there. That "rental" is a set fee.

If someone pays a monthly rent on a house and then go on a two week vacation....do they tell the landlord he only gets half the rent because they won't be there for half the month???? No...if they want to find the house still theirs when they get back, it needs to be paid for!
Tags:paid days, paid holidays, paid sick days, paid vacations, real costs of providing care, tuition breakdown
Reply Up