Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>May I Make Your Monday?
Mad_Pistachio 07:29 PM 11-09-2015
Hi.
My name is Alina, and I have been stalking this forum for a while. I love reading how ladies in different states deal with children, parents, and authorities. It gives a little look inside, and it helps me understand a few things.
You see, I am a parent. My daughter is 3.5, and she has been going to daycare since she was just under 2.
And I am getting a degree in ECE. So, yeah, I want to see all the sides of the spectrum.

Here is the thing: we have a wonderful daycare. We do!
The director has such a tremendous amount of common sense, it's not even funny. I rarely see this in people (and I have seen many).
My daughter's teachers were changing a lot (not sure, but the 2-year-old group for some reason can't have anyone stick for too long), I can recall at least 3 different ladies in charge of her group. Hopefully, they found someone who will last long enough.
Nonetheless, while she was still in that group, she started potty training. I am one lazy mama: I had no idea. Her teacher told me once at pickup that she was withholding, so they take her to the potty now. You can be sure as hell that we went to get the potty that weekend! Embarrassing: a mother doesn't know her child is ready to use the toilet. But I will always be grateful to her teacher for starting the process.
(Oh, and when I say "they" I usually mean the whole center: all teachers and the director. Center's capacity is 49, so it's not a huge place, but much larger than an FCC.)
Right after potty training was over, my daughter was moved to an older group. Now, that teacher has been there since I can remember. And things snowballed from there: she started singing songs, playing games, putting puzzles together... At times, I barely catch up. Once, her teacher told me, "if I had 12 kids like her, my job would be perfect." I thought that this was probably the sweetest thing anyone has ever told me about my child (who is a sweetheart and all, but knows how to be a brat and is sometimes, and I know it). I think I will try to secretly find out when her teacher has a birthday and get her something. I sometimes feel inadequate: she has taught her so much. (and remember? I am getting the ECE degree... *sigh*)
I never had her daycare call and ask me to get her (even though they all know I'm home all day: my classes are all online through local community college). I never had anyone complain to me about her misbehaving (which, hey, I am almost sure she did at least 100 times). My daughter runs there every morning, chatting in the car on the way there about how she will tell "miss Moosy" (not a real name, but she calls her that) what she did last night/weekend and show off a new outfit (pants or sweater).
I have once heard a woman talk about a mother's feelings when someone loves her child. I didn't know what it was until I had a chance to experience that myself. Someone loves my child.
The daycare director asked for a recommendation letter (she wants to give me some paperwork tomorrow). I am so going to recommend this center!

I see how invested most of you are into what you do, both physically and emotionally. And I realize how, at times, thankless this job can be.

So, on behalf of at least some parents,

Thank you. You are doing your best, and you are wonderful.

One grateful parent.
Michael 02:05 AM 11-10-2015
Welcome to the forum and thank you for your "Parent" comments.
Josiegirl 03:16 AM 11-10-2015
The tag says it all 'parent from heaven' Welcome!
Mad_Pistachio 05:05 AM 11-10-2015
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Thank you

Oh, trust me: I can be one butthurt parent! I just think it kind of goes both ways (takes 2 to tango, right?) and since I was, it seems, really lucky to find a place for my child on the very first try (I called, we came, talked, looked - were allowed into every nook and cranny - and signed up the following Monday), and I have nothing but appreciation for what I got. Humans have this tendency to not appreciate what they have and then fell all kinds of regret when they lose it, and I really try keeping it in mind.
Thriftylady 06:29 AM 11-10-2015
From a providers prospective, you are a perfect parent. You will find after you finish your degree and start to work an an early childhood job, that the one thing we appreciate the most is when parents get that we work hard and appreciate it. If you want to make the day of the people who work with your child, a card would go a long ways! You see, the kids don't really appreciate what we do, because honestly they don't know they should yet they are just kids! But when parents take an extra moment to show it well it just goes a farther than words can really say.
Mad_Pistachio 06:53 AM 11-10-2015
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
From a providers prospective, you are a perfect parent. You will find after you finish your degree and start to work an an early childhood job, that the one thing we appreciate the most is when parents get that we work hard and appreciate it. If you want to make the day of the people who work with your child, a card would go a long ways! You see, the kids don't really appreciate what we do, because honestly they don't know they should yet they are just kids! But when parents take an extra moment to show it well it just goes a farther than words can really say.
I was a nanny for 10 years. I know it's different, but some of the things I read here give me flashbacks: they are not the same, but very similar.

I just try to prioritize. I know kids will get into sticky situations on a regular basis, and the teachers get to deal with that while I study in the comfort of my own quiet home. Unless my daughter is seriously harmed or something (and I'm not talking about a dime-zised boo-boo on her forehead), she will be fine, and so will I. If I remember correctly from reading here, in KY, the daycare has 24 hours to report an incident to licensing. So, if it happened at 5 pm on Friday... let's just say, I do not envy the director: poor woman now needs to report and expect someone to stop by first thing Monday morning, and Monday mornings are already crazy.

You know, Christmas is around the corner. Whether I find out the Birthday or not, I have a reason to thank a teacher. She deserves it, big time.

By the way, I study child development, but I still have no idea when the concept of appreciation gets to children (probably much later than the age when they need a daycare). This is why for now, it's up to me to show it, and not expect that from a 3-year-old.
laundrymom 08:32 AM 11-10-2015
I want to hug OP.
I'm crying.
Happy tears.
Mad_Pistachio 08:39 AM 11-10-2015
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
I want to hug OP.
I'm crying.
Happy tears.
*hands a box of Kleenex* here. yeah, we should do this more often, not just complain and talk about problems.
daycarediva 10:05 AM 11-11-2015
Originally Posted by Mad_Pistachio:
Hi.
My name is Alina, and I have been stalking this forum for a while. I love reading how ladies in different states deal with children, parents, and authorities. It gives a little look inside, and it helps me understand a few things.
You see, I am a parent. My daughter is 3.5, and she has been going to daycare since she was just under 2.
And I am getting a degree in ECE. So, yeah, I want to see all the sides of the spectrum.

Here is the thing: we have a wonderful daycare. We do!
The director has such a tremendous amount of common sense, it's not even funny. I rarely see this in people (and I have seen many).
My daughter's teachers were changing a lot (not sure, but the 2-year-old group for some reason can't have anyone stick for too long), I can recall at least 3 different ladies in charge of her group. Hopefully, they found someone who will last long enough.
Nonetheless, while she was still in that group, she started potty training. I am one lazy mama: I had no idea. Her teacher told me once at pickup that she was withholding, so they take her to the potty now. You can be sure as hell that we went to get the potty that weekend! Embarrassing: a mother doesn't know her child is ready to use the toilet. But I will always be grateful to her teacher for starting the process.
(Oh, and when I say "they" I usually mean the whole center: all teachers and the director. Center's capacity is 49, so it's not a huge place, but much larger than an FCC.)
Right after potty training was over, my daughter was moved to an older group. Now, that teacher has been there since I can remember. And things snowballed from there: she started singing songs, playing games, putting puzzles together... At times, I barely catch up. Once, her teacher told me, "if I had 12 kids like her, my job would be perfect." I thought that this was probably the sweetest thing anyone has ever told me about my child (who is a sweetheart and all, but knows how to be a brat and is sometimes, and I know it). I think I will try to secretly find out when her teacher has a birthday and get her something. I sometimes feel inadequate: she has taught her so much. (and remember? I am getting the ECE degree... *sigh*)
I never had her daycare call and ask me to get her (even though they all know I'm home all day: my classes are all online through local community college). I never had anyone complain to me about her misbehaving (which, hey, I am almost sure she did at least 100 times). My daughter runs there every morning, chatting in the car on the way there about how she will tell "miss Moosy" (not a real name, but she calls her that) what she did last night/weekend and show off a new outfit (pants or sweater).
I have once heard a woman talk about a mother's feelings when someone loves her child. I didn't know what it was until I had a chance to experience that myself. Someone loves my child.
The daycare director asked for a recommendation letter (she wants to give me some paperwork tomorrow). I am so going to recommend this center!

I see how invested most of you are into what you do, both physically and emotionally. And I realize how, at times, thankless this job can be.

So, on behalf of at least some parents,

Thank you. You are doing your best, and you are wonderful.

One grateful parent.
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
wonderful post! I am so glad that you found a place where your daughter thrives and appreciate the staff who put so much love and energy into helping her grow into the best person she can be.

-side thought, provider appreciation day or a JUST BECAUSE would also be great ideas instead of just a birthday. Even a hand written note. Trust me, it makes our day. When parents do this for me, I almost always tear up and then I show everyone.
Mad_Pistachio 03:23 PM 11-11-2015
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
provider appreciation day or a JUST BECAUSE would also be great ideas instead of just a birthday. Even a hand written note. Trust me, it makes our day. When parents do this for me, I almost always tear up and then I show everyone.
Is there a childcare provider appreciation day? When? I feel stupid now... I've heard of a teacher day, but not sure if it's the same and still don't know when it is.
daycarediva 10:35 AM 11-12-2015
It's in May.

http://www.providerappreciationday.org/
Tags:parent - from heaven
Reply Up