Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Menus, Breakfast, Lunch and Snack Ideas>Pot Roast
Baby Beluga 09:22 PM 09-27-2015
What is your favorite way to season and cook a pot roast? My local grocery store has them on sale so I picked a few up but I need new ways to cook and season them.
Thriftylady 06:20 AM 09-28-2015
I usually just do the same old normal stuff. But sometimes I cook them up to slice for sandwiches. And depending how cheap they really were, you could cut them up for stew meat.
Josiegirl 10:20 AM 09-28-2015
I'll throw a bunch of carrots, quartered potatoes, celery, onions, along with the pot roast in the crockpot. Add a cup of water and a packet of Lipton Onion Soup Mix. Cook until you can't take the smell anymore and have to devour it! Probably 8-10 hours. Yummy!!!
Blackcat31 10:25 AM 09-28-2015
Put pot roast in large roasting pan.

Surround roast with potatoes, onions and carrots.
Add cream of mushroom soup (mixed with hot water) over the whole works.

Sprinkle a package of Lipton Onion soup mix over the roast.

Bake 350F for 4-5 hours.

Use the cream of mushroom mixture (which has thickened during cooking) as gravy

The Lipton Onion soup mix will have made a nice tasty crust on the top of the roast. YUM!!
Baby Beluga 12:28 PM 09-28-2015
YUM! These sound delicious. Usually I:

Make slits in the meat and place minced garlic in the slits.
Rub meat with salt/pepper
Sear both sides in skillet
Place in cock pot over bed of onions and let cook.

I steam carrots and potatoes separately and then serve all together on the first night. The second day for lunch or dinner I usually shred the meat, mix it with some BBQ sauce, warm it in a skillet and have a pulled meat sandwich.

I've also shredded the meat/BBQ sauce and baked it inside a croissant for the kids the next day - they love that.

It is good, but I never would have thought to use a cream of mushroom soup and/or onion soup mix. I have both of those at that house and will be trying it for dinner tomorrow
Miss A 02:26 PM 09-29-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Put pot roast in large roasting pan.

Surround roast with potatoes, onions and carrots.
Add cream of mushroom soup (mixed with hot water) over the whole works.

Sprinkle a package of Lipton Onion soup mix over the roast.

Bake 350F for 4-5 hours.

Use the cream of mushroom mixture (which has thickened during cooking) as gravy

The Lipton Onion soup mix will have made a nice tasty crust on the top of the roast. YUM!!
The exact recipe I use, but also chop up the heart of a celery stalk, leaves and everything and rub that into the roast before I place it into the crock pot. Then, I cook mine on low 6-8 hours.
Leigh 03:39 PM 09-29-2015
I brown mine in a skillet first, then I like to cover mine in sea salt, Italian seasoning, and crushed black pepper. When I put water in the bottom of the pan, I add either a dry, red wine or cooking sherry and a can or 2 of beef consomme. Leftovers get shredded and served on hard buns with provolone, swiss, or mozzarella and sauteed onions and bell peppers.
Unregistered 02:16 AM 10-22-2015
Yes, I found out many years ago what a difference it makes to sear the roast before putting it in the crockpot. I put the roast in a pan on medium on each side for a minute or two, put in cp, add carrots, potatoes, and onions. Always delicious!
Sunchimes 04:57 AM 10-26-2015
I've been looking for the cookbook with this recipe, but it appears it may have left the building. For variety, I put mine in the crockpot with a jar of salsa. I think there may be something else but can't think of it. I serve it with rice, homemade pico, and guacamole. I'll keep looking for the book.
Baby Beluga 12:35 PM 10-27-2015
Originally Posted by Sunchimes:
I've been looking for the cookbook with this recipe, but it appears it may have left the building. For variety, I put mine in the crockpot with a jar of salsa. I think there may be something else but can't think of it. I serve it with rice, homemade pico, and guacamole. I'll keep looking for the book.

That sounds really good!
Scout 02:14 PM 08-05-2016
This week I put one in the crock pot with beef broth, cumin, paprika, salt, pepper, chili powder, garlic powder, and a little oregano to use for fajitas...delish!! Dry rubbed the meat on all sides and put broth around it so it didn't dilute that.
sahm1225 06:27 PM 08-05-2016
Originally Posted by Scout:
This week I put one in the crock pot with beef broth, cumin, paprika, salt, pepper, chili powder, garlic powder, and a little oregano to use for fajitas...delish!! Dry rubbed the meat on all sides and put broth around it so it didn't dilute that.
How much broth do you think you used? I want to make this!
NeedaVaca 11:11 AM 08-11-2016
Have any of you ever tried the Mississippi Roast? It was showing up in my newsfeed and the ingredients looked so strange to me and I couldn't imagine it would taste good but the reviews were amazing so I decided to try it. It was one of the BEST roasts ever!

Use a crockpot. Add one chuck roast, on top of that sprinkle one packet of ranch dressing, one packet of McCormicks AuJus, one stick of butter. Around the roast add 5-8 peperoncini. Set temp to low and let it cook all day until it's falling apart.
Blackcat31 02:23 PM 08-11-2016
Originally Posted by NeedaVaca:
Have any of you ever tried the Mississippi Roast? It was showing up in my newsfeed and the ingredients looked so strange to me and I couldn't imagine it would taste good but the reviews were amazing so I decided to try it. It was one of the BEST roasts ever!

Use a crockpot. Add one chuck roast, on top of that sprinkle one packet of ranch dressing, one packet of McCormicks AuJus, one stick of butter. Around the roast add 5-8 peperoncini. Set temp to low and let it cook all day until it's falling apart.
Never heard of it but I (well hubby ) will be trying it soon though!

He read the post and went "Yep! We'll be trying that one!"

So thank you for sharing!
NeedaVaca 02:43 PM 08-11-2016
Never heard of it but I (well hubby ) will be trying it soon though!

He read the post and went "Yep! We'll be trying that one!"

So thank you for sharing!
Awesome! Let me know what you think! The pepperoncini is depending on taste, I think too many over powers the roast, I usually stick with 5
Blackcat31 04:06 PM 08-11-2016
Originally Posted by NeedaVaca:
Awesome! Let me know what you think! The pepperoncini is depending on taste, I think too many over powers the roast, I usually stick with 5
Are the packets of au jus and ranch dressing dry or do you prepare them according to packet directions first?

Is there any liquid added to the crockpot?
NeedaVaca 05:07 AM 08-12-2016
Are the packets of au jus and ranch dressing dry or do you prepare them according to packet directions first?

Is there any liquid added to the crockpot?
Yes the sprinkle dry packets over the meat and you don't add any liquid. There is plenty of liquid after it starts cooking from the butter and meat.

You can serve it with mashed potatoes (I do) or noodles or I've even seen in the reviews people made them into sandwiches.
Tags:crockpot - pot roast, pot roast, recipe
Reply Up