Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Biting...Only One Child
OkSimplyMe 08:03 AM 10-15-2015
I have a child in daycare. 2 years old. Unfortunately my child bites. I hate that..... does not bite at home. ...does not bite at church.... bites one child that is 3. The parents are irate. Calling us at home, very angry with the child care giver. Daycare giver is amazing....time outs...separates....watches children closely. My family and other parents have witnessed this 3 year old pinching, cornering children, slapping, grabbing toys etc. My child has bit the other child twice this week, total of maybe 6 times in a year....

Any advice? Is this unusual? Is there something we can do?
Are the other parents being irrational?

Help!
Play Care 08:56 AM 10-15-2015
Originally Posted by OkSimplyMe:
I have a child in daycare. 2 years old. Unfortunately my child bites. I hate that..... does not bite at home. ...does not bite at church.... bites one child that is 3. The parents are irate. Calling us at home, very angry with the child care giver. Daycare giver is amazing....time outs...separates....watches children closely. My family and other parents have witnessed this 3 year old pinching, cornering children, slapping, grabbing toys etc. My child has bit the other child twice this week, total of maybe 6 times in a year....

Help!
If my child were being bit at day care (and more than once) I would be irate and probably pull my child.

I would be especially annoyed if the bites were "retaliation" bites, because that says to me that the children are not being properly supervised or taught correct play behavior (part of the job). In this case it seems everyone knows the 3 yo is aggressive and yet - he's still allowed free reign of the play room.

It is inappropriate for the parents to call you, but I do think they have valid issues with the day care provider.
daycarediva 10:14 AM 10-15-2015
Originally Posted by Play Care:
If my child were being bit at day care (and more than once) I would be irate and probably pull my child.

I would be especially annoyed if the bites were "retaliation" bites, because that says to me that the children are not being properly supervised or taught correct play behavior (part of the job). In this case it seems everyone knows the 3 yo is aggressive and yet - he's still allowed free reign of the play room.

It is inappropriate for the parents to call you, but I do think they have valid issues with the day care provider.
Agreed. A child who is aggressive is my SHADOW. If I am not within arms reach, they come with me. Have you spoke to the provider about the 3yo?
Leigh 11:13 AM 10-15-2015
Originally Posted by OkSimplyMe:

Help!
From my perspective, I'm guessing that the 3 year old is provoking the biting and your child is defending him/herself. That sounds like the issue from what you wrote. This may not be the case. 2 year olds biting is not uncommon, especially in ones with limited verbal skills. If your child isn't capable yet of saying "No, I don't like that" or telling the provider that XXX is pinching/slapping me, biting is a way to defend himself.

As a provider, I would choose to term the OTHER kid who was aggressive, rather than risk that child hurting all of the other kids.
Tags:biter
Reply Up