Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Open Daycare Center - Sell a Daycare - Rent a Daycare - Buy a Daycare>Start/Sell A HOME DAYCARE with Me in The DC Metro Area!!
Happy Panda 07:18 AM 08-02-2016
Hi single moms and teachers,

My name is Elisabeth and I am looking for a housemate/single parent to rent a townhouse or home in the DMV to start a home daycare. This would be perfect for a single parent who also needs childcare.

WHY AM I LOOKING FOR A HOUSEMATE?
I am looking to start a boutique-style home daycare in whatever house/townhouse I choose to rent (no more than 6-8 children, all under the age of 5). For that reason, I am looking to be as close to DC as possible and on/near a major road. I have already found several potential locations, but would need a roommate to afford the monthly rent. My budget for my portion of the rent is $1400-1600. I am looking for a housemate that will be willing to contribute at least $800-1200 to the rent, so we can find a property in the range of $2000-2800. I am available to move starting September.

MORE ABOUT ME
I am a 29 year old black/Korean female. I am an elementary teacher, teaching in DC. I recently had a baby, she is 9 months old now. Being a classroom elementary teacher for high needs communities in DC was challenging as a mom of a young baby. I also had a difficult time finding affordable childcare I liked and could trust for the development of my baby, so I am determined to stay at home with her. I am married, but separated from my husband almost 4 months ago. We are determined to co-parent, so you do not have to worry about baby daddy drama. I enjoy eating (I cook mainly Korean food), playing with my baby (she is so good, easy to care for), spending time with friends, watching tv/movies, reading. I am very clean (and will need to be a little more hyper about cleanliness once I start my business, but I will hire help for that). I am intelligent, kind, generous, honest, and will also share food. I am very respectful and try to be a positive person. I have family and friends in the area, so they might be over occasionally.

I hope we are a good match, please reach out if you think we are!

Best,

Elisabeth
Blackcat31 07:25 AM 08-02-2016
Originally Posted by Happy Panda:

My name is Elisabeth and I am looking for a housemate/single parent to rent a townhouse or home in the DMV to start a home daycare. This would be perfect for a single parent who also needs childcare.

I am looking to start a boutique-style home daycare in whatever house/townhouse I choose to rent (no more than 6-8 children, all under the age of 5). For that reason, I am looking to be as close to DC as possible and on/near a major road. I have already found several potential locations, but would need a roommate to afford the monthly rent. My budget for my portion of the rent is $1400-1600. I am looking for a housemate that will be willing to contribute at least $800-1200 to the rent, so we can find a property in the range of $2000-2800. I am available to move starting September.

MORE ABOUT ME
I am a 29 year old black/Korean female. I am an elementary teacher, teaching in DC. I recently had a baby, she is 9 months old now. Being a classroom elementary teacher for high needs communities in DC was challenging as a mom of a young baby. I also had a difficult time finding affordable childcare I liked and could trust for the development of my baby, so I am determined to stay at home with her. I am married, but separated from my husband almost 4 months ago. We are determined to co-parent, so you do not have to worry about baby daddy drama. I enjoy eating (I cook mainly Korean food), playing with my baby (she is so good, easy to care for), spending time with friends, watching tv/movies, reading. I am very clean (and will need to be a little more hyper about cleanliness once I start my business, but I will hire help for that). I am intelligent, kind, generous, honest, and will also share food. I am very respectful and try to be a positive person. I have family and friends in the area, so they might be over occasionally.

Best,

Elisabeth
You might want to do some research in regards to ratios for your area. It looks like the ratios are less than 6-8 kids for one provider and when an infant is in care, the ratios are usually much lower. You can start here if you need contact info to licensing agencies in your area:

https://www.daycare.com/districtofcolumbia/
LysesKids 08:46 AM 08-02-2016
Originally Posted by Happy Panda:

MORE ABOUT ME

Best,

Elisabeth
Not only are ratios lower when infants are in the home (yes your own child will count in ratios) but your room mate would have to go thru all the background checks & if she had kids they count in ratios also... then there is the problem of finding a landlord that will allow you to run a childcare home. In VA certain cities require stricter standards than state rules especially in NOVA

What happens if you don't get full enough to pull your share of the rent right off the bat? You can't expect your roomy to cover your share of bills when something happens or you are low on kids (it does happen). What if the room mate loses their job - can you cover everything if they move out?

You want to hire help... check the state/city rules; some require you cover the employee with workers comp along with paying at least minimum wage and employers share of taxes

Just my take as a single mom who grew up in that area
Happy Panda 12:18 PM 08-03-2016
Thanks for the advice fellow providers and moms! I have done my research and dont plan to start right away, so I can get all my ducks in a row including determining how many children I will care for. This is just an introductory message to get interested moms/providers interested in communicating further with me. I will also share they need to go through a background check and why my finances can handle paying rent before I start my business (my finances are not the whole world's business on an open forum). All of this is in the next step after someone contacts me. I cant wait to hear from an interested individual!!
Reply Up