Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Home expenses
yodaone 07:14 PM 02-16-2017
My mother-in-law owns the house we live in. We pay her monthly, however she doesn't have our home listed as a rental with the city. We will ultimately be purchasing the house from her, like a land contract. Am I able to write off the "rent" we pay her on our taxes?
Jupadia 05:21 AM 02-17-2017
In Canada I know the answer is no cause we have a similar situation. Because my in laws don't claim the rent and put it towards the house we can't use the rent as a write off. It would utametly me there taxa up cause then there not claiming income. But it's a better deal for us. I can claim a portion of the electric heating and water if bills are in my name.
TomCopeland 09:10 AM 02-17-2017
Originally Posted by yodaone:
My mother-in-law owns the house we live in. We pay her monthly, however she doesn't have our home listed as a rental with the city. We will ultimately be purchasing the house from her, like a land contract. Am I able to write off the "rent" we pay her on our taxes?
Since you pay her a monthly amount to live in the house, you can deduct your time-space % of this as rent. She must report it as income on Schedule E and can claim some house expenses to offset this income.
Reply Up